Frequent Contributor

OT: wrong calls from collection agencies

I'm posting here b/c I think this board gets a lot of action.

I have been getting a lot of calls from collection/debt recovery agencies about people I don’t know and have never even met. I don’t know how these agencies got my phone number, but I need this to stop, it is disrupting my life.

Sometimes I pick up and it’s just a recording stating their business. Other times it’s a live person. If it’s a person I explain I don’t know who they are calling about. But it disrupts me anyway.

When it’s a recording, I have to listen to the whole message so I can get the name or “reference number” (wasting my time), then I have to call them back to ask them to take my number off their list (again wasting my time). Or they leave a message and my answering machine beeps until I listen to the message. I can’t stand it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has happened so many times with so many different agencies, calling about many different people.

Short of changing my phone number, I don’t know what to do. I am on the Do Not Call list, but that obviously doesn’t apply to this.

Has this happened to any of you? Any ideas on how to get these calls to stop?