Respected Contributor

Re: OT: who has a Keurig, and do you like it?

On 11/17/2014 Q4u said:
On 11/17/2014 codywhitney said:

Keurig is turning out to be a potential environmental disaster! it's those K-Cups that are not recyclable and do not break down easily (and are toxic)when tossed into landfills.This means the toxic material gets into the groundwater and eventually into your drinking water!

Many of the companies offering Kcups are using materials that are bio-degradable and Keurig is offering a program called Grounds To Grow On. You contact Keurig and tell them you'd like to participate in the program and they will mail you a G2G recycling box as well as return postage to send back the full recycling boxes. YES, the Kcups are recyclable. Smile

I am going to have to look into this. Thanks for the information about recycling.

Super Contributor

I love mine. It's about three years old now.

I had to have it replaced twice and Keurig was really good about it.

Since then, this one has been great.

Respected Contributor

On 11/17/2014 rebel said:

I love mine. It's about three years old now.

I had to have it replaced twice and Keurig was really good about it.

Since then, this one has been great.

Anytime I have had a problem with my Keurig I always got a new one from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I recall returning one without the receipt and they gave me a new one. They have a great return policy on the Keurig.

Frequent Contributor

LOVE IT! Best gift I ever got and have used it everyday since last Christmas.

I drink 1-2 cups a day and it is great for company - I always keep the pods on hand and do have the backup pod (use regular coffee) just in case I should run out.

Makes the perfect cup of coffee every time - no waste.

Frequent Contributor

I've got an older model Keurig and love it even though I don't drink coffee EVER! I use mine for tea, instant cup of soup mixes, hot chocolate, even Ramen noodles sometimes. And if someone ever needs a cup of coffee I have the Kcups so I know they will get something good. I never know if the coffee I make in our other coffee maker is good or not because my husband will literally drink anything I make him and not complain! Don't want to serve something yucky to a guest though in case what I make isn't really very good, so the Keurig is my answer there. Mine isn't made to have water "on demand", but I've found if I lift the front handle like I'm going to insert a Kcup as soon as the lights blink and then put the handle down without putting a Kcup in it I can push either the small or large cup buttons and get the right amount of water for the cup I'm using. I use tea bags, powdered drink mixes, etc this way all the time. There are lots of different Kcups available now to fit my machine, but I don't always have them, and can't say I really miss them even.

The recent tsv uses new technology and a new type Kcup, so I can't speak for it. I do know the two types aren't interchangeable though. I will say the first one I had was the smallest one that you fill every time with enough for just one cup. I much prefer the one I have now that has the tank on the side that holds enough water for making several cups before adding more. I've heard their customer service is really good too if you have a problem.

Trusted Contributor

I love our Keurig, which we got a year ago as a TSV. It replaced a 5+ year old one that moved with us twice. Pros: only brewing the amount you need, fresh cup each time, good selection of flavors in the k cups and I can use my own coffee (Kona) in the special filter. Cons: mine came with a replaceable water filter that thankfully we haven't had to replace as we use filtered water to fill the reservoir, k cups can be expensive (second the vote for Costco on the big boxes). For us, it works and is economical compare to how much we used to brew even to just get a small pot.
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/17/2014 MJDinHawaii said: I love our Keurig, which we got a year ago as a TSV. It replaced a 5+ year old one that moved with us twice. Pros: only brewing the amount you need, fresh cup each time, good selection of flavors in the k cups and I can use my own coffee (Kona) in the special filter. Cons: mine came with a replaceable water filter that thankfully we haven't had to replace as we use filtered water to fill the reservoir, k cups can be expensive (second the vote for Costco on the big boxes). For us, it works and is economical compare to how much we used to brew even to just get a small pot.

Tully's Hawaiian Blend Kona coffee is great - one of my favorites! Costco has the super big pack on line, your post reminded me I have to order it!

Honored Contributor

I love mine. It is an old one though. I always stock up when on sale. When this goes, IDK what we will do. No way would I buy one that limited selection of cups. I might buy a different one.

I like the idea of a piping hot, fresh, clear cup of coffee with no left overs to deal with. I always threw out half a pot, and didn't like it when it sat too long. The kcup is is a good selection for my husband and myself.

Respected Contributor

On 11/17/2014 shoekitty said:

I like the idea of a piping hot, fresh, clear cup of coffee with no left overs to deal with. I always threw out half a pot, and didn't like it when it sat too long. The kcup is is a good selection for my husband and myself.

Yes, love mine for the ease of use, too. I feel like I'm stepping out of a Jetsons cartoon - just push a button and presto, piping hot cup o' Joe. Perfect for a morning zombie. I will admit the convenience has its price, though. I do believe it's not as good as a cup of coffee made from freshly ground coffee made with a French Press. But at 6:30am on a weekday it is so worth the trade off.
Contributor

Nothing beats a French Press...cost effective, simple and the best cup of coffee you can make.