Super Contributor

Re: OT: who has a Keurig, and do you like it?

The Keurig at work was out of order more than it worked. The same thing happened where my husband worked. My husband's work does not provide coffee for employees, so he asked me to go and get him a thermas so he could make his own MJB half caf at home and have his own coffee. The idea caught on- there's a lot of thermeses going in and out where he works. My work bought a Mr Coffee. People in the work place never figure out a system of who's going to clean out the coffee pot. I'm glad I don't drink coffee.

Contributor

We ordered one for the very first time and DID NOT LIKE IT ALL!!!!! Coffee is way to strong does not taste good. Also, ours leaked! Big and bulky and the coffee was NOT EVEN VERY HOT! We sent it back and are very happy with our regular coffee brewer...

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/16/2014 JayJay said:
On 11/16/2014 ibb38 said:

I have a personal mini keurig and got it from Kohls. I've read on these boards how their keurigs die regularly- Kohls has great customer service so I plan on exchanging it whenever required! I got the personal mini model because I figured it was a basic they'd always have available. I'm usually Costco in this regard but they don't always have keurigs stocked. So far 1 exchange was needed- on my birthday of all days!!! With my #2 keurig I'm using only water from my Brita.

<em>My coffee is always hot- and strong!</em> {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} In fact I often need to cool it with an ice cube (I drink coffee black). Maybe my no frills basic model works better in this regard?

Hi Ibb....I just posted on fb about the mini keurig and was asking for some opinions. I'm thinking of getting one for my daughter for Christmas. We don't drink coffee but thought we'd use it for tea and hot chocolate. Kohl's seems to have a good online special this week as well....so I'd probably buy it there.

Does anyone else have the mini and how do you like it? I guess I'd be concerned about finding the tea and hot chocolate without coffee included? I know they sold the hot chocolate ones separately but not too familar with Keurig in general since we aren't coffee drinkers.

I waited until I had a 30% off kohls coupon - plus the unit was on sale! It ended up being around $60. I even got kohls cash, the next week I went back and bought k cups!!

My daughter uses it regularly for tea, she places her favorite green tea bag in a 'my k cup' insert (I bought the 'like' insert at Christmas Tree Shoppes) and it brews perfectly. I find there's no reason to buy tea k cups! Amazon also offers many choices of just hot chocolate.

I think Bed Bath & Beyond also has the personal mini's for a good price, and then are also generous with exchanges. Kohls was great when I needed to exchange my unit, now I'm using only filtered water. Some on the board say their keurigs last longer this way.

Super Contributor

You can tell from all of these posts that all Keurigs are not alike. I have the platinum version and LOVE it. Coffee is HOT (and I expect really hot drinks) and taste delicious. If I get the box of 100 K cups from Costco (Kirkland), each cup is around 30 cents. Great deal. I also LOVE the New England Coffee k cups found at Shop Rite.

The 2.0 is a different animal. Takes up a lot of space on the counter and has quirky things---like the hot water dispenser that must be held down, the inability to use any and all k cups, etc. I'll bet it will soon be extinct, much like the flas in the pan VUE.

It was only $119. in Walmart a couple of months ago.

Bet they will phase it out in the new year. 3.0 is probably on its way already.

Super Contributor

jewelsluvsbeauty: I have the mini personal size Keurig in blue & I love it. I don't drink coffee everyday & when I do it's only 1 cup, so the mini Keurig is ideal for my needs. I can make a 6 oz, 8 oz, or 10 oz cup of coffee, tea, cocoa, etc. The coffee is hot & as strong as I want.

I have the personal K-cup device so I can use ground coffee as well as the K-cups. My machine takes all brands of K-cups & I buy them on sale. Where I live, the plastic cups are recyclable. I have a carousel to store my K-cups as I need them.

Buy what suits your lifestyle.

Enjoy your coffee in whatever manner you make it. I'm sipping a cup right now at my daughter's house using a very old Sunbeam coffee maker I brought over because her "new" one is broken. It works like it's brand new.

Regular Contributor

Keurig is turning out to be a potential environmental disaster! it's those K-Cups that are not recyclable and do not break down easily (and are toxic)when tossed into landfills.This means the toxic material gets into the groundwater and eventually into your drinking water!

Occasional Contributor

I love my Keurig. It is quite a few years old, and still works great. One thing I love is the variety of coffee out there. Before the stores around here started carrying K-Cups, about the only coffee on the shelves were Folgers & Maxwell House (not that there's anything wrong with either of them). Now every time I go to the store, there are new brands and varieties. None of the stores in my area have even remotely close to as many options in bagged or canned coffees.

Respected Contributor

I would not be without one. We even have a personal one we take with us on vacation. Hubby likes a certain kind of coffee and I like another kind of coffee and often decaf. That's why I purchased it - because I drink mainly decaf. But he loves it so much he gave up the regular coffee pot.

It's so perfect when you just want 1 or 2 cups because you don't need to make an entire pot. I just get a perfect cup of coffee everytime.

Honored Contributor

On 11/17/2014 codywhitney said:

Keurig is turning out to be a potential environmental disaster! it's those K-Cups that are not recyclable and do not break down easily (and are toxic)when tossed into landfills.This means the toxic material gets into the groundwater and eventually into your drinking water!

Many of the companies offering Kcups are using materials that are bio-degradable and Keurig is offering a program called Grounds To Grow On. You contact Keurig and tell them you'd like to participate in the program and they will mail you a G2G recycling box as well as return postage to send back the full recycling boxes. YES, the Kcups are recyclable. Smile

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

On 11/16/2014 tigriss said:
On 11/16/2014 OPKSGAL said:

I am not a coffee drinker but considering getting this one for my son's family for Christmas. I want to be sure I understand you owners correctly, you WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE a personal KCup with a blend you have spooned in - YOU HAVE TO USE a pre-filled, sealed KCup?

I just keep thinking of all those empty KCups in the landfills.

Kept waiting for Albany to mention it - she talks so fast and non-stop that possibly she did, but I missed it.

Thanks for your help.

There is a hack for it. You can take your personal KCup, whatever brand, and tape one of the lids from the official K-Cups over the lid of your KCup. In the bottom left quadrant of the lid, there is a sensor that looks for the sensor portion of the official K-Cup lid. Just tape that part over yours and the sensor will read it, then you have your own blend. There are many youtube videos on it, so you can see one if you need a pic for it.

I just viewed this on youtube. Good information for anyone that has the new model keurig. I wouldn't want to use the new model if I couldn't sometimes use my own coffee.