Super Contributor

Re: OT: not getting the Flu vaccine put me into respiratory arrest and the ICU for seven days

On 1/23/2015 mominohio said:
On 1/22/2015 moonchilde said:
On 1/22/2015 Brinklii said:
On 1/22/2015 mominohio said:
On 1/22/2015 Madisson said:

Madisson, different times in life call for different choices and calls. I'm sure when she is elderly and/or immune compromised, her decisions will reflect the changes needed at the time. Nothing is the 'right answer' for every person or for any one person at different stages in life.

Stop the vaccine bullying.

That works both ways. This was a useful and friendly thread until RJL-DLL posted this:

"I will take my chance with the flu rather than have some Dr inject me with poison. I got the flu this year but, it only lasted a few days."

That is bullying if I ever heard it.

I see absolutely no bullying in that statement. It is fact. The flu vaccines contain known toxins and carcinogens. Just because those who believe that injecting those poisons and toxins into their system is right and good, doesn't mean that it is.

You see no bullying in that statement? Guess you can't (or refuse) to read between the lines. For every article that you bring up showing that it is "fact" that vaccines are toxic and carcinogenic, I could bring up another one showing that they are not. Just because you believe that not being vaccinated is right and good, does not mean that your opinion is accurate.

This discussion has gone too far off topic, and the naysayers who are against vaccines are spoiling it for everyone, as usual.

Thank you for bringing up your experience Poodlepet. I am so happy that you have come through this so well. Good luck with the rest of your recovery. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

The definition of bullying does not include statements others do not agree with, or statements others feel are untrue, or statements people just don't like. Having a different POV and strongly stating it is not bullying. IMO, it's darned near impossible to bully another adult on a public bulletin board. What "power" could someone you don't know exercise over you? It is not bullying if a gullible person believes an "untruth" someone states on a forum. I wouldn't dream of accusing a stranger on a forum, who simply has a different POV, of "trying to bully" me or others. It sounds like elementary school - where real, *physical* bullying does occur. We are not in elementary school.

That said, as soon as I saw the title of the thread I knew the anti-vaccine tin hat contingent would show up sooner or later. It was a given. But being rude - even being very rude, and insulting, is not bullying. It's just being rude. you can't "make the mean people go away, mommy!" by calling them bullies. Not after 6th-7th grade.

And just to be clear which side I'm on, I have had flu shots every year for the past 25 years and will continue to get them.

And more bullying! Name calling on that grade school level you are so fond of.

You are just proving how childish your behavior is. I notice that you did not quote my proof of what encompasses bullying. Perhaps you had no response for it other than more name calling?? Time to grow up.

The definition of bullying does include statements that others disagree with and throwing out words like "poison" is among them They are considered "taunting"...or trying to provoke people into arguments. Here is the definition from stopbulling.gov:

There are three types of bullying:

• Verbal bullying is saying or writing mean things. Verbal bullying includes: <ul> <li>Teasing
  • Name-calling
  • Inappropriate sexual comments
  • Taunting
  • Threatening to cause harm
</li>
  • <ul> <li style="list-style-type: none; display: inline;"> <ul> <li>Social bullying, sometimes referred to as relational bullying, involves hurting someone’s reputation or relationships. Social bullying includes: <ul> <li>Leaving someone out on purpose
  • Telling other children not to be friends with someone
  • Spreading rumors about someone
  • Embarrassing someone in public
  • </ul> </li> </ul> </li> </ul> </li>
  • <ul> <li>Physical bullying involves hurting a person’s body or possessions. Physical bullying includes: <ul> <li>Hitting/kicking/pinching
  • Spitting
  • Tripping/pushing
  • Taking or breaking someone’s things
  • Making mean or rude hand gestures
  • </ul>

And, yes...adult bullying does occur. Everyone is familiar with workplace bullying. Here are some others from bullyingstatistics.com:

There are several different types of adult bullies, and it helps to know how they operate:

1. Narcissistic Adult Bully: This type of adult bully is self-centered and does not share empathy with others. Additionally, there is little anxiety about consequences. He or she seems to feel good about him or herself, but in reality has a brittle narcissism that requires putting others down.
    2. Impulsive Adult Bully: Adult bullies in this category are more spontaneous and plan their bullying out less. Even if consequences are likely, this adult bully has a hard time restraining his or her behavior. In some cases, this type of bullying may be unintentional, resulting in periods of stress, or when the bully is actually upset or concerned about something unconnected with the victim.
    3. Physical Bully: While adult bullying rarely turns to physical confrontation, there are, nonetheless, bullies that use physicality. In some cases, the adult bully may not actually physically harm the victim, but may use the threat of harm, or physical domination through looming. Additionally, a physical bully may damage or steal a victim's property, rather than physically confronting the victim.
    4. Verbal Adult Bully: Words can be quite damaging. Adult bullies who use this type of tactic may start rumors about the victim, or use sarcastic or demeaning language to dominate or humiliate another person. This subtle type of bullying also has the advantage - to the bully - of being difficult to document. However, the emotional and psychological impacts of verbal bullying can be felt quite keenly and can result in reduced job performance and even depression.
    5. Secondary Adult Bully: This is someone who does not initiate the bullying, but joins in so that he or she does not actually become a victim down the road. Secondary bullies may feel bad about what they are doing, but are more concerned about protecting themselves.

Nobody is deliberately trying to bully anyone on this thread. We are just having a discussion. If the people who are into organic/natural care prefer not to get the vaccines...then don't. But, don't assume that we health professionals have not researched both sides of the issue and come to our own conclusions.

</li> </ul> </li> </ul>

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
    Respected Contributor

Re: OT: not getting the Flu vaccine put me into respiratory arrest and the ICU for seven days

Deep breaths!!! Take a nice Calgon bath, light a candle, and sip a glass of your favorite wine.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
    Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Madisson said:
    On 1/22/2015 moonchilde said:
    On 1/22/2015 Brinklii said:
    On 1/22/2015 Madisson said:

Madisson, different times in life call for different choices and calls. I'm sure when she is elderly and/or immune compromised, her decisions will reflect the changes needed at the time. Nothing is the 'right answer' for every person or for any one person at different stages in life.

Stop the vaccine bullying.

That works both ways. This was a useful and friendly thread until RJL-DLL posted this:

"I will take my chance with the flu rather than have some Dr inject me with poison. I got the flu this year but, it only lasted a few days."

That is bullying if I ever heard it.

I see absolutely no bullying in that statement. It is fact. The flu vaccines contain known toxins and carcinogens. Just because those who believe that injecting those poisons and toxins into their system is right and good, doesn't mean that it is.

You see no bullying in that statement? Guess you can't (or refuse) to read between the lines. For every article that you bring up showing that it is "fact" that vaccines are toxic and carcinogenic, I could bring up another one showing that they are not. Just because you believe that not being vaccinated is right and good, does not mean that your opinion is accurate.

This discussion has gone too far off topic, and the naysayers who are against vaccines are spoiling it for everyone, as usual.

Thank you for bringing up your experience Poodlepet. I am so happy that you have come through this so well. Good luck with the rest of your recovery. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

The definition of bullying does not include statements others do not agree with, or statements others feel are untrue, or statements people just don't like. Having a different POV and strongly stating it is not bullying. IMO, it's darned near impossible to bully another adult on a public bulletin board. What "power" could someone you don't know exercise over you? It is not bullying if a gullible person believes an "untruth" someone states on a forum. I wouldn't dream of accusing a stranger on a forum, who simply has a different POV, of "trying to bully" me or others. It sounds like elementary school - where real, *physical* bullying does occur. We are not in elementary school.

That said, as soon as I saw the title of the thread I knew the anti-vaccine tin hat contingent would show up sooner or later. It was a given. But being rude - even being very rude, and insulting, is not bullying. It's just being rude. you can't "make the mean people go away, mommy!" by calling them bullies. Not after 6th-7th grade.

And just to be clear which side I'm on, I have had flu shots every year for the past 25 years and will continue to get them.

You are just proving how childish your behavior is. I notice that you did not quote my proof of what encompasses bullying. Perhaps you had no response for it other than more name calling?? Time to grow up.

The definition of bullying does include statements that others disagree with and throwing out words like "poison" is among them They are considered "taunting"...or trying to provoke people into arguments. Here is the definition from stopbulling.gov:

There are three types of bullying:

• Verbal bullying is saying or writing mean things. Verbal bullying includes: <ul> <li>Teasing
    • Name-calling
    • Inappropriate sexual comments
    • Taunting
    • Threatening to cause harm
    </li>
  • <ul> <li style="list-style: none; display: inline;"> <ul> <li style="list-style-type: none; display: inline;"> <ul> <li>Social bullying, sometimes referred to as relational bullying, involves hurting someone’s reputation or relationships. Social bullying includes: <ul> <li>Leaving someone out on purpose
  • Telling other children not to be friends with someone
  • Spreading rumors about someone
  • Embarrassing someone in public
  • </ul> </li> </ul> </li> </ul> </li> </ul> </li>
  • <ul> <li style="list-style-type: none; display: inline;"> <ul> <li>Physical bullying involves hurting a person’s body or possessions. Physical bullying includes: <ul> <li>Hitting/kicking/pinching
  • Spitting
  • Tripping/pushing
  • Taking or breaking someone’s things
  • Making mean or rude hand gestures
  • </ul> </li> </ul>

And, yes...adult bullying does occur. Everyone is familiar with workplace bullying. Here are some others from bullyingstatistics.com:

There are several different types of adult bullies, and it helps to know how they operate:

1. Narcissistic Adult Bully: This type of adult bully is self-centered and does not share empathy with others. Additionally, there is little anxiety about consequences. He or she seems to feel good about him or herself, but in reality has a brittle narcissism that requires putting others down.
    2. Impulsive Adult Bully: Adult bullies in this category are more spontaneous and plan their bullying out less. Even if consequences are likely, this adult bully has a hard time restraining his or her behavior. In some cases, this type of bullying may be unintentional, resulting in periods of stress, or when the bully is actually upset or concerned about something unconnected with the victim.
    3. Physical Bully: While adult bullying rarely turns to physical confrontation, there are, nonetheless, bullies that use physicality. In some cases, the adult bully may not actually physically harm the victim, but may use the threat of harm, or physical domination through looming. Additionally, a physical bully may damage or steal a victim's property, rather than physically confronting the victim.
    4. Verbal Adult Bully: Words can be quite damaging. Adult bullies who use this type of tactic may start rumors about the victim, or use sarcastic or demeaning language to dominate or humiliate another person. This subtle type of bullying also has the advantage - to the bully - of being difficult to document. However, the emotional and psychological impacts of verbal bullying can be felt quite keenly and can result in reduced job performance and even depression.
    5. Secondary Adult Bully: This is someone who does not initiate the bullying, but joins in so that he or she does not actually become a victim down the road. Secondary bullies may feel bad about what they are doing, but are more concerned about protecting themselves.

Nobody is deliberately trying to bully anyone on this thread. We are just having a discussion. If the people who are into organic/natural care prefer not to get the vaccines...then don't. But, don't assume that we health professionals have not researched both sides of the issue and come to our own conclusions.

</li> </ul> </li> </ul>

The truth really bothers you, doesn't it?

Respected Contributor

Personally, I'm having a ball watching you squirm and spittin' vermin! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
    Respected Contributor

I get my Flu Vaccine every year and have never had a side affect. We almost lost my 89 year old mother to Pneumonia last week. Thankfully, she is recovering now but it was touch and go for a while. She was very ill. She did get her Flu Vaccine so probably what she had was less severe than it could have been. I can't imagine the full blown version. She would have ended up in the ICU for sure.

Super Contributor

On 1/24/2015 conlt said:

I get my Flu Vaccine every year and have never had a side affect. We almost lost my 89 year old mother to Pneumonia last week. Thankfully, she is recovering now but it was touch and go for a while. She was very ill. She did get her Flu Vaccine so probably what she had was less severe than it could have been. I can't imagine the full blown version. She would have ended up in the ICU for sure.

Oh conlt, I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your mother. Yes, your mother was lucky to have had the flu vaccine. Their immune system is just not as strong when they are that age. I'm happy to hear that she is getting better.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
    Respected Contributor

On 1/24/2015 Madisson said:
    On 1/24/2015 conlt said:

Oh conlt, I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your mother. Yes, your mother was lucky to have had the flu vaccine. Their immune system is just not as strong when they are that age. I'm happy to hear that she is getting better.

Thank you so much Maddison. It has been an exhausting 2 weeks, luckily we are getting her through this with my family pitching in staying with her. I am an RN and my sister is a Geriatric Nurse Practitioner so she has her own nurses LOL. With the help of home health care, for nursing and therapy, she is starting to get stronger and feisty again. This is a woman who was driving, walking on a treadmill 3 x per week and working with my brother in his store before the Pneumonia almost took her down. I am very grateful for all the thoughts, prayers, and support we receive on these boards. I know sometimes people complain but there are really some very nice people here.