Respected Contributor

Re: OT/ When Was The Last Time You Used Real Money?

On 2/5/2015 happy housewife said:
On 2/5/2015 Chrystaltree said:

Not often. I use my debit cards for almost everything. Every other week, I load $100 onto my work ID and that's how I pay for my cafeteria purchases. I keep $40 in my wallet, just in case I need cash for something but those two twenties stay in my bag a long time. And I keep three $5 bills in a bowl on my kitchen counter, it's tip money for the grocery delivery guy and our takeout delivery. Debit cards are "cash" and smarter than using credit cards. I only use credit cards for big purchases.

Wow , your cafeteria is expensive. When i was working we could get a very decent hot meal in the hospital cafe for $3 to $5. However, it cost $11 a day to park by the hospital or you could pay $5 off site and have to ride a shuttle to work. The good part of working 12 hour shifts was you only had to pay this 3 days a week instead of 5.

Oh, if you only knew! I can't speak for all cafeterias, the company I work for is large with about 4000 people on the main campus. We have a cafeteria and a couple of coffee shops but the company no longer subsidizes them, they stopped about 6 years ago. The caf and the coffee shops are managed by a food service. Great food, amazing variety but it's very expensive. A big lunch with the works costs around $10. Coffee and a bagel is $4.50. Even a large cup of soup runs around $4.50. When you add crackers and drink, your talking $7.00. And parking in one of the covered garages is $450 a month; $300 in one of the lots. And the waiting list for parking (they tell me) is three years long!

Trusted Contributor

I use cash everyday.

Super Contributor

Right now I have 3 $1 bills in my wallet and that's the most I've had for months. DH still uses cash but I use only a credit card. As someone else said I love the cash back rewards and every place takes my card. Even parking garages.

Esteemed Contributor

Every day.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/4/2015 VanSleepy said:
On 2/4/2015 snickster said:

So seldom that even when I plan to, I often forget and automatically pull out my debit card.

LOL me too. I stopped to buy a $1.50 loaf of Italian bread today, and started to pull out my debit card.

ME TOO - it is a habit for sure. I find when I only carry cash I am better about spending the money on just what I need. I always think there is something my grown Son and his Girlfriend need.

Honored Contributor

Today

Honored Contributor

Today, yesterday and the day before. I use real money all of the time. What I don't use much (if at all) are checks.

I often use different debit cards. All different accounts and two different banks.

It depends on where I buying something, how much it is and if it will be repetitively taken out.

I don't keep much money in some of them in case they are hacked.

Super Contributor

I use my debit card almost always. Where I get my haircut they only take cash or check so I pay in cash.I pay bills online, now I really hate to write a check even.

Respected Contributor

If it's under $50, I pay cash. I always pay cash at locally owned small businesses, as the banks ding merchants for credit and debit card purchases, and it's harder for a smaller business to absorb that.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Contributor

I seldom use cash. My credit cards offer 1-5% back in rewards. I pay them in full each month. Cash doesn't make sense for me when my net cost is less by using my cards.