Trusted Contributor

OT- What kind of REFRIGERATOR do you have?

I'm trying to buy a fridge. Looked at reviews on Home Depot, it looks like GE is horrible and so is Whirlpool. People were reporting rust on the Whirlpool french door model with middle drawer that was the cheapest $1800.00. The GE Profile model was close to $3,000.00 and people were complaining about that one too.

I am interested in getting a stainless steel. I currently have a Sears Kenmore in white. Had it for 8 years but I'm converting over to stainless.

Remember your parents had refrigerators for 20 plus years when you were kid? It just seems like major appliances just do not last. And they are not CHEAP.

Does have anyone have any luck with their fridge? Or can anyone recommend one?

Thanks so much!

Brunette

Honored Contributor

Re: OT- What kind of REFRIGERATOR do you have?

Yes, but these refrigerators are not your parents and they are not your grandmother's Oldsmobile. They are meant to last but a few years and throw them out and give some more business to China. The LG is what I have after going through a GE. The LG has the prettiest stainless color, IMHO. Otherwise, I have GE Profile stove and microwave, a Bosch dishwasher and LG fridge. They are all stainless and I have heard they are all made in the same factories, so I chose what I liked. I am pretty good with appliances so I cannot complain that they are not going to hold up but I am sure not for 20-30 years. I still have the fridge (in my shop) that I grew up with. It's an old Firestone and it runs. We keep drinks and ice water for the lawn and garden work there.

Honored Contributor

Samsung

Trusted Contributor

On 1/27/2015 namealreadytaken said:

Yes, but these refrigerators are not your parents and they are not your grandmother's Oldsmobile. They are meant to last but a few years and throw them out and give some more business to China. The LG is what I have after going through a GE. The LG has the prettiest stainless color, IMHO. Otherwise, I have GE Profile stove and microwave, a Bosch dishwasher and LG fridge. They are all stainless and I have heard they are all made in the same factories, so I chose what I liked. I am pretty good with appliances so I cannot complain that they are not going to hold up but I am sure not for 20-30 years. I still have the fridge (in my shop) that I grew up with. It's an old Firestone and it runs. We keep drinks and ice water for the lawn and garden work there.

Hi there! Thanks so much for your quick response! YES! You are correct I think because they are now made IN CHINA appliances are JUST NOT LASTING like they did when our parents owned them. Makes me cringe! I have the GE Profile stove and microwave too! I have the Whirlpool dishwasher because their were too many complaints about the GE PROFILE Dishwasher, which incidentally was the most expensive $900! So I opted for the Whirlpool. So you haven't had many problems with your LG fridge? I just hate to spend a few thousand dollars and it won't last! There should be a law or consumer protection about that. Sheesh.

Thanks again! I will check your recommendation out! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

On 1/27/2015 lolakimono said:

Samsung

Good to know! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have a Frigidaire Side by Side, love it!!! 26 cu ft.

Honored Contributor

I have had a GE side by side for 5 years now. Absolutely no problems with it at all. No rust anywhere. We use the ice and water in the door all the time , works beautifully. And it is only a builder grade model.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/27/2015 Shelbelle said:

I have a Frigidaire Side by Side, love it!!! 26 cu ft.

Oh cool! Thanks Shelbelle.

Honored Contributor

BTW , all my appliances are GE builder grade and they are all functioning perfectly after 5 years.knocking on wood. My husband is very conscientious about preventative maintainence though.
Respected Contributor

Something that was free. When we bought our house it came with this ancient thing that was a piece of junk and sounded like an airplane taking off most of the time. Our electric company replaced it for free. It wouldn't work for most of the people on this board though. It's not fancy, it's white, the freezer is on the top. Very basic and probably cost all of $300-$400 brand new. I don't remember the brand but it works beautifully.