Contributor

Re: OT - What is everyone giving up during Lent??

Agree Tootie15, eating after dinner. Have a bad habit of snacking when I'm not even hungry. That in itself is a sacrifice.
Respected Contributor

I always give up sweets.

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 ItsMe13 said:

Giving up something or not eating meat doesn't make a person a better Christian.

I believe that doing something nice for someone goes a lot further!

Giving up something makes us mindful of the price that was paid for our salvation so it's not a matter of trying to be a better Christian. I'm in favor of doing something nice for someone in hopes that it would make me a better human being.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm Baptist and my church observes lent and the church has provided options on how to observe such as the Daniel Fast or giving up meat or you can create your own. I'm giving up junk food a major weakness for me besides buying clothing.

Valued Contributor

Irish1210 Glad you liked my post and it resonated with something you heard in church. Somehow giving up negativity, especially towards yourself, means more to me then giving up my favorite food like I was trained to do as a Catholic kid long ago. I think God wants us to love ourselves as He does and Lent is a way to get in touch with this concept.

Esteemed Contributor

Super Contributor

All good snacks/desserts...candy, chips, cake etc. I can have healthy snacks. Hopefully lose some ponunds as a result.
Respected Contributor

On 2/18/2015 icezeus said:
On 2/18/2015 Snowpuppy said:
On 2/18/2015 BellaCarro said: I will fast today. Getting up and making it to 7:30 am Mass on time was a good start. Not rolling my eyes at the co-worker who told me I had dirt on my forehead I thought was pretty good too. (Really, you've lived over 40 years and never seen a Catholic on Ash Wednesday- there I said it).<br /> However, rather than give up I will add. Several years ago our parish priest spoke about mindfully adding prayer to your daily life. That really resonated with me. You don't have to be one particular religion to do that. Take some time each day to be quiet, reflect, think about your relationship with your higher power (whatever it or whoever that may be), how can I be better to those around me, how can I just be a better person, pray for the wrongs I've done & mistakes made. Pray for tolerance and patIence, both toward others and toward me. Maybe that will go beyond the next forty days.

Absolutely beautiful post!

I love this idea.

Father Jim will be so pleased Smiley Happy. The Catholic Church, believe it or not, has progressed. At least it has on some parish levels. My DD just went through the Sacrament of Confirmation. I was astounded and moved by the outright tolerance and generosity of spirit shown by our parish priest when answering some very tough questions by the teens. Of course, the new Pope is a a thorn in the side of many of the old guard.
Respected Contributor

It's also a time for sacrificial giving and reaching out towards others. Self denial is not a bad thing in this society.

Why look at it as a negative? What if you took the money that you usually spend on self and give to those in need? It's a good time to start in Lent, because some of these Lenten practices take root and you end up doing it all the time.

People always "give things up" for Lent. because that's how they are socialized/taught as children and then many people don't explore the deeper meaning behind sacrifice.

Honored Contributor

During Lent I try to attend daily Mass.

I still try to give up eating ""junk"" food.