Highlighted
Contributor

Re: OT - What is everyone giving up during Lent??

Giving up something or not eating meat doesn't make a person a better Christian.

I believe that doing something nice for someone goes a lot further!

Respected Contributor

I will fast today. Getting up and making it to 7:30 am Mass on time was a good start. Not rolling my eyes at the co-worker who told me I had dirt on my forehead I thought was pretty good too. (Really, you've lived over 40 years and never seen a Catholic on Ash Wednesday- there I said it).
However, rather than give up I will add. Several years ago our parish priest spoke about mindfully adding prayer to your daily life. That really resonated with me. You don't have to be one particular religion to do that. Take some time each day to be quiet, reflect, think about your relationship with your higher power (whatever it or whoever that may be), how can I be better to those around me, how can I just be a better person, pray for the wrongs I've done & mistakes made. Pray for tolerance and patIence, both toward others and toward me. Maybe that will go beyond the next forty days.
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/18/2015 BellaCarro said: I will fast today. Getting up and making it to 7:30 am Mass on time was a good start. Not rolling my eyes at the co-worker who told me I had dirt on my forehead I thought was pretty good too. (Really, you've lived over 40 years and never seen a Catholic on Ash Wednesday- there I said it).
However, rather than give up I will add. Several years ago our parish priest spoke about mindfully adding prayer to your daily life. That really resonated with me. You don't have to be one particular religion to do that. Take some time each day to be quiet, reflect, think about your relationship with your higher power (whatever it or whoever that may be), how can I be better to those around me, how can I just be a better person, pray for the wrongs I've done & mistakes made. Pray for tolerance and patIence, both toward others and toward me. Maybe that will go beyond the next forty days.

Absolutely beautiful post!

Honored Contributor

Posting here. Oops.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/18/2015 Snowpuppy said:
On 2/18/2015 BellaCarro said: I will fast today. Getting up and making it to 7:30 am Mass on time was a good start. Not rolling my eyes at the co-worker who told me I had dirt on my forehead I thought was pretty good too. (Really, you've lived over 40 years and never seen a Catholic on Ash Wednesday- there I said it).<br /> However, rather than give up I will add. Several years ago our parish priest spoke about mindfully adding prayer to your daily life. That really resonated with me. You don't have to be one particular religion to do that. Take some time each day to be quiet, reflect, think about your relationship with your higher power (whatever it or whoever that may be), how can I be better to those around me, how can I just be a better person, pray for the wrongs I've done & mistakes made. Pray for tolerance and patIence, both toward others and toward me. Maybe that will go beyond the next forty days.

Absolutely beautiful post!

I love this idea.

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2015 happy housewife said:
On 2/18/2015 vandyfan said: I am a Christian alright, just glad I am a Southern Baptist! I admire you who observe Lent.

Baptist don't observe lent?

Been one all my life and we have never observed Lent. Of course we are not supposed to drink or dance either but that does not stop a lot of Baptists.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

On 2/18/2015 ItsMe13 said:

Giving up something or not eating meat doesn't make a person a better Christian.

ITA - especially giving up something in the hopes one will lose weight in the bargain! Doing something nice or reciting prayers each day for various intentions is much more "Christian" IMHO. Volunteer a few hours each week at a nursing home/animal shelter, whatever, is also great.

Super Contributor

I don't "give up", I give in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

On 2/18/2015 dfyre said:
On 2/18/2015 ItsMe13 said:

ITA - especially giving up something in the hopes one will lose weight in the bargain! Doing something nice or reciting prayers each day for various intentions is much more "Christian" IMHO. Volunteer a few hours each week at a nursing home/animal shelter, whatever, is also great.

How charitable to criticize another's efforts!

Honored Contributor

I am forgoing chocolate, and making some amends, of forgiveness.

Not to loose weight, or to make me a 'better Christian', but to help me be mindful of the reason for Lent.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras