Super Contributor

OT: Tracfone Samsung Galaxy?? Worth it if you rarely use data?? Service/reliability??

HSN is offering a Tracfone Samsung Galaxy with triple minute capabilities. I don't even own a smartphone yet, so I was wondering about upgrading me and my husband to this. We are currently on Verizon, but we went in to the store this morning and were so overwhelmed (or underwhelmed) by the negativity from the salesperson about different phones offered and plans that we finally left after he recommended to go online and check out things for ourselves. He kept talking about 3G phones are outdated...need to go to 4g...don't go with "free" phones because they are outdated....Androids are better than Iphone as far as apps but the Iphone is better for service...talked about all fees to upgrade ($30 per phone) then the prices of the phone. Then you need insurance, then this, then that...I felt like my head was about to explode!! My husband has been in sales for over 20 years (insurance) and said it was one of the worst presentations he had ever seen! He told us it didn't really matter to him what phone we chose; they didn't make anything on phones...he was there for the service. He talked down almost any other company I mentioned...especially the monthly type phone carriers (Boost, StraighTalk, etc.)

Anyway, I'm so confused. But I saw the Tracfone being offered and wondered how it was for durability, holding up, service coverage, reliability, overall costs, etc. We mainly want to talk and text with limited data. We won't be viewing movies or using Facebook or looking at music videos on our phone...we can do all that at home.

I just don't want to get a Tracfone and find out that I'm spending more for buying cards (even though this phone will triple that) because I use my phone to talk more than others.

What has been your experience with Tracfones with Smartphone capabilities? THANK YOU!!