Super Contributor

I've had them for about ten years. Mine are trifocal and it took a bit of time to get used to them but I love them now. I agree with what others say...you have to learn to move your eyes, not your head.

Honored Contributor

Been wearing Progressive Lens for over 20 yrs., never wore glasses before, would never wear anything else! Yes you have to move your head, but once you get use to them, you will love them!

Frequent Contributor

Ok, here's the question(s): if i'm looking at my computer screen or reading a form, book etc on the desk, there's a small middle spot that's clear. If I move my eyes to see the line to the left or right, it's blurry. If I move my head to be able to read the line, the computer screen or the item on the desk "waves" or "swims". Makes you dizzy! I've had them on and off since this morning. I now have a headache, my eyes feel extremely strained and feel like they're bulging. Almost feel cross eyed!

Super Contributor

When I went from "regular" glasses to bifocals the transition was awful. Took a couple of weeks to get used to them. My mother was never able to get used to the bifocals. So, she was on and off with her glasses.

About 8 years ago, an optometrist suggested the progressive lenses and plastic lenses... just terrible. I kept walking into things. I tried them for a month, and returned them for my usual glass bifocals, and changed optometrists!

Respected Contributor
On 11/11/2014 bb7707 said:

Contacts are just not as comfortable as they used to be.

Funny, my eye dr. told me to move my head...she said to "point your nose" where you want to see. If I'm looking at my computer and someone comes into my office on my right, the computer and desk start to "swim" when I look at them. If I just move my eyes from side to side, my vision is blurred as well. It's the side to side movement that causes trouble.

Mine told me the same - to move my head. It took me less than 2 days to adjust to my progressives. And I love them.

Super Contributor
I went from readers to bifocal and now transitions. I did try transition 10'years ago and they made me so dizzy! I guess they have improved. I have had mine about two months now and for the most part have adjusted without dizziness. I have to say though I still think I see better in my old bifocals. But for my frames the transitions are much better. Good luck!
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/11/2014 bb7707 said:

Contacts are just not as comfortable as they used to be.

Funny, my eye dr. told me to move my head...she said to "point your nose" where you want to see. If I'm looking at my computer and someone comes into my office on my right, the computer and desk start to "swim" when I look at them. If I just move my eyes from side to side, my vision is blurred as well. It's the side to side movement that causes trouble.

That is correct. With progressives, the best field of vision is right in the center of the lens so move your head.

I started with progressives from the time I needed glasses, 20 years ago. Not all progressives are alike. I found that the more they cost, the better they are. My last pair are wide view, anti reflective, high index and they do cost more than the basic lenses, but they are so worth it.

Sometimes, they get the measurements wrong. If that happened, they need to be re-made, at the expense of the Optician/Optical Shop. Take them to your eye Dr and have him check the measurements.

Mine have never worked well with the computer, so I have an additional pair of readers for that, they work well for everything else. My Dr told me to get them to work for distance, up close and for the computer, I would need to go to trifocals.

My sister does better on the computer if she just takes her glasses off. Play around with them and see what works for you.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

To the OP, do you think maybe your glasses aren't big enough? What I mean is, for a progressive lens to have enough room for each section of vision, you need a design that's not too "short" from top to bottom. Hope that makes sense!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/11/2014 2blonde said:

To the OP, do you think maybe your glasses aren't big enough? What I mean is, for a progressive lens to have enough room for each section of vision, you need a design that's not too "short" from top to bottom. Hope that makes sense!

This is also correct.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Frequent Contributor
On 11/11/2014 ccassaday said: I recently got progressives also. I didnt have any problems but they did tell me it could take time. Also it is possible they didnt put the bifocal in the right place on the lense.

I agree 100%, I've had progressives for years and if they don't put the bifocal in the right place, it can cause problems...suggest you asked them to check measurements for you.