Honored Contributor

Re: OT- My doctor is dumping me

Not defending the insurance companies because I think they are a lot of the problem, but the ACA tells the insurance companies all sorts of things they MUST cover that maybe they weren't covering before depending on what plan you have. I have no need for pediatric or obstetric coverage (including pediatric dental and optical) but it must be included in my plan. Yet, I have to get separate plans for dental and optical for myself (and they aren't any good anymore). Also, remember the insurance companies are having to cover all those people with pre-existing conditions so those of us that are healthy are subsidizing the coverage for those that have a lot of expenses.

My daughter has run into this issue with her son's ADHD doctor changing over to cash only.

Valued Contributor

From the perspective of a SELF EMPLOYED person:

I LOVE the ACA!!!! My options for health care would be: to pay cash, pay a HUGE amount monthly, or my current plan which is through the ACA and saves me almost $200 a month!!! So I am certainly one happy camper in the savings! I have retained all of my doctors that I had previously when I worked full time, and I have a great plan! It is also a PPO so technically I can go to ANY doctor I want!! I just have my favorites....

Granted you have to do your due diligence in shopping for a plan...but I found one that works for me, has low co-pays, and NO deductible! I also live in a suburbia area and close to probably hundreds of doctors if not thousands probably within a 30 min drive. Expand that out to an hour or 2, and I have access to metro HUGE cities with even more options (if needed).

So to 'generalize' what the ACA does and how horrible you think it is for 'everyone' please make sure you CHECK YOUR FACTS before making sweeping generalizations!!

You get your good and bad with everything. Sweeping generalizations about the ACA are just mass hysteria to get the crowds up in arms over something that you don't personally like. Period.

Honored Contributor

If insurance and the regulations associated with insurance policies weren't such an expensive nightmare to deal with Drs wouldn't want to go to cash only. To claim that the two are not related is just dreaming.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Contributor

Wow-I thought I was the only one with a problem-our doctor informed us that as of 12/31/14 she was going into private practice (had been a member of a group) and EACH PERSON would be charged $1,500 per YEAR! There are 3 of us-$4500 per year, every year, just seems insane. My husband has good insurance coverage so we typically don't pay even $500 per year for all three of us, if that. She will do "standard" tests, including xrays, in the office and we wouldn't be charged for them. "Other tests" we would have to pay out of pocket. And each office visit is $25. She doesn't want to deal with insurance companies. So we are currently without a family doctor. Has anyone else ever heard of such high charges? We live in NY and I'm not sure if it's just worse here or if the amounts are the same all over.

Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2015 1978christian said:
On 3/26/2015 ChynnaBlue said:
On 3/26/2015 1978christian said:
On 3/26/2015 VaBelle35 said:

But you can keep your doctor. You pay cash and you are reimbursed the out of network rates.

Which would be more than what I would pay with a PPO. We already pay over $1600 a month for insurance through my husband's union and you can't opt out.

Wow... that's your real problem. Why can't you opt out? You could probably get a cheaper plan through the ACA. My insurance is through my company and my annual cost is $572.

My husbands union has a healthcare package in his contract that includes dental, vision, and medical. So much per hour is deducted from their hourly wage to go toward health coverage. It is part of their package in their contract.

MY DH has the same thing at work for our Ins. He can opt out but has to prove he has Ins. some place else. Does not sound like the Union is doing a very good job if you are paying $1600 per month for your part. How much is the company paying? What a rip-off. Who do they think can pay that for health ins? I cannot remember how much the company pays for our Ins. through DH's work but he pays some where around $200 for Medical, Dental, Eye, Long & Short Term Disability & Life Ins. They will be negotiating their contract soon so hope he gets to keep this Ins. I know the rates have gone up & so will what we pay but at least it won't be over $1600. I think the Republicans will take over next year & do away with ACA. It's hard enough for people that have to pay for their own Ins. to also have to fork out money to help pay for the ones using the ACA.

Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Icegoddess said:

Not defending the insurance companies because I think they are a lot of the problem, but the ACA tells the insurance companies all sorts of things they MUST cover that maybe they weren't covering before depending on what plan you have. I have no need for pediatric or obstetric coverage (including pediatric dental and optical) but it must be included in my plan. Yet, I have to get separate plans for dental and optical for myself (and they aren't any good anymore). Also, remember the insurance companies are having to cover all those people with pre-existing conditions so those of us that are healthy are subsidizing the coverage for those that have a lot of expenses.

My daughter has run into this issue with her son's ADHD doctor changing over to cash only.

I don't have a huge issue with the dental coverage being mandatory, as there are kids who don't get to the dentist at all, and good teeth are very important.

And as for dental and optical insurance we have never had any.

Super Contributor

Maybe there needs to be more doctors in the world. We're always going to need doctors.

Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2015 LucyGoose said:

Maybe there needs to be more doctors in the world. We're always going to need doctors.

I imagine at some point there will be a shortage for doctors. People are going into different lines of work. One of my doctors retired because her ins rates went up so high. With all the changes still to come I don't think doctors can make the kind of money they used to.

Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2015 jackthebear said:
On 3/26/2015 Icegoddess said:

I don't have a huge issue with the dental coverage being mandatory, as there are kids who don't get to the dentist at all, and good teeth are very important.

And as for dental and optical insurance we have never had any.

I don't have children at home, so I don't see why I need pediatric dental or optical. I also don't need obstetric care but have to have that too.

Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2015 HappyDaze said:
On 3/26/2015 jaxs mom said:
On 3/26/2015 HappyDaze said:
On 3/26/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

Uh, people ....... This ISN'T about the ACA. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I read the OP's comments twice, and her MD is opting out of ALL PPO insurances, because of the insurance companies' actions and delays. That's not Obamacare.

I also agree with the other poster that said $1600 a MONTH to insure two people is BEYOND STUPID ...... and not being able to opt out? Yikes! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

If it were me, I'd call the State Consumer Affair regulators and lodge a complaint! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Is it really necessary to call someone stupid?

It seems to me she is calling the union stupid because they are the ones providing the 1600 a month insurance and requiring union members to carry it.

well, if that is the case then I apologize. It came across like she was calling the poster stupid for paying that amount. I hope you are right.

Both posters were very clear that the OP could NOT OPT OUT of the $1600 cost and the poster who said that it was "beyond stupid" suggested the OP file a claim. That tells me that the person calling the policy stupid, not the poster. And I wholeheartedly agree with her - that's a ridiculous policy.