Esteemed Contributor

Re: OT- My doctor is dumping me

ITA the harder you work, the more you pay....
Respected Contributor

I agree, the ACA is just horrible and it's not going to get any better. Personally, just for me, I don't like paying for my family's medical expenses as well as others.

Valued Contributor

On 3/26/2015 brandiwine said:
On 3/26/2015 traveler said:

Ahh, a bash ACA thread.

I don't see it as a bash, it's reality. I know of many small community docs that don't have time or staff to deal with all the paperwork and payment delays. They have decided to go to a cash only practice. I was in a small community out of state when I found myself in a local ER. I have Kaiser insurance and they accepted it no questions asked. It took Kaiser 5 months to pay the doc. I was calling them weekly to get them to pay. I was in my Kaiser pharmacy a few weeks ago and a young couple was trying to get their meds and they were told there was a "mix up" with their coverage. It appeared the Colorado connect for health had deleted 10's of thousands of people from their list. A computer glitch yet again. These problems are nationwide. In my opinion this is one of the biggest mistakes in history.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Reba055 said: Sorry, but once again the government had to jump in to "fix" a problem, and created a nightmare. How could anyone have foreseen that happening! The bottom line is the majority of Americans had access to affordable health insurance through their employer or with Medicare or Medicaid. If they would have gotten off their a$$es and went after insurance fraud and abuse of the loopholes in the system, and corruption at for profit hospitals and clinics, they could have provided a means for those who fell through the cracks access to affordable healthcare. Of course our employer provided insurance rates are going to increase and our out of pocket expenses are going to increase. That is if you were lucky enough to have not lost your employer insurance as many employers cut employee hours so they didn't have to proved full time benefits. Who did those in favor of this craziness think was going to pay for it? The tooth fairy? And now we are left with the fallout....all the while I'll bet those abusing and defrauding the system haven't missed a beat. How about getting out there and enforcing what you already have laws in place for before you create more. What a joke.

These are the best facts I've read so far on these threads; loopholes and MUCH corruption.

That's what should have been investigated and changed.

Honored Contributor

I talked to a young medical student who was shadowing my PCP at a U of NM Clinic. She said they were peddling as fast as they could to train new doctors. They had planned a gym for the students but changed that into a lab instead. The shortage of doctors is not new. It's been hard to find one taking new patients for years.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

On 3/26/2015 hyacinth003 said:
On 3/26/2015 stray770 said: ITA .....when the government intervenes everyone looses

So true. I choose to believe what I see, hear, and read.

The ACA has CAUSED a lot of these problems.

We are paying more, have higher deductibles, and higher out-of-pocket expenses.

People who PAY their way in life are paying MORE for those who are not paying. More non payers than ever, in my opinion.

Hyacinth

Well said!!

Trusted Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Icegoddess said:
On 3/26/2015 jackthebear said:
On 3/26/2015 Icegoddess said:

Not defending the insurance companies because I think they are a lot of the problem, but the ACA tells the insurance companies all sorts of things they MUST cover that maybe they weren't covering before depending on what plan you have. I have no need for pediatric or obstetric coverage (including pediatric dental and optical) but it must be included in my plan. Yet, I have to get separate plans for dental and optical for myself (and they aren't any good anymore). Also, remember the insurance companies are having to cover all those people with pre-existing conditions so those of us that are healthy are subsidizing the coverage for those that have a lot of expenses.

My daughter has run into this issue with her son's ADHD doctor changing over to cash only.

I don't have a huge issue with the dental coverage being mandatory, as there are kids who don't get to the dentist at all, and good teeth are very important.

And as for dental and optical insurance we have never had any.

I don't have children at home, so I don't see why I need pediatric dental or optical. I also don't need obstetric care but have to have that too.

We have no need for pediatric dental or optical either. Nor do I need obstetric care but we have to pay for that too. So we get stuck paying for these people who keep having kids but can't afford their care!!

Respected Contributor

Ahh, a bash ACA thread.

Obviously Traveler you haven't been affected by higher deductibles and higher prices for meds. Are you immune to what's going on? I bet you have been impacted but happy to ignore that your prez told us we could keep or docs no matter what. Of course you probably just dump and run on these boards and never come back and see how we have been affected. Maybe you are one of those that is getting supplemented. Good for you. I'm not one of those. I guess I'm paying for your healthcare.
Respected Contributor

On 3/26/2015 jump4joy said:
On 3/26/2015 hyacinth003 said:
On 3/26/2015 stray770 said: ITA .....when the government intervenes everyone looses

So true. I choose to believe what I see, hear, and read.

The ACA has CAUSED a lot of these problems.

We are paying more, have higher deductibles, and higher out-of-pocket expenses.

People who PAY their way in life are paying MORE for those who are not paying. More non payers than ever, in my opinion.

Hyacinth

Well said!!

I second that!! I lived in England and I highly recommend any of you to really take a deep look at their healthcare and how simply awful it was. Good luck getting a cataract operation within 6 months, but hey it's free right? Wrong. My ex and I barely kept up with the taxes that were thrust upon us to pay for other's healthcare. Do you think the Queen has socialized healthcare? No. She has private.
Honored Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Q2girl said:

Ahh, a bash ACA thread.

Obviously Traveler you haven't been affected by higher deductibles and higher prices for meds. Are you immune to what's going on? I bet you have been impacted but happy to ignore that your prez told us we could keep or docs no matter what. Of course you probably just dump and run on these boards and never come back and see how we have been affected. Maybe you are one of those that is getting supplemented. Good for you. I'm not one of those. I guess I'm paying for your healthcare.

It is probably someone who is benefiting from it. Like I said, there are some for whom this has been a huge win. For the rest of us, it has been quite the opposite and we are seriously feeling it in our pockets.