Super Contributor

I have never owned a pressure cooker before but I am considering one for the reason of my having newly converted to a plant-based diet. I am thinking beans, rice, and other things would be great to cook in this. Any of you have one? If so any tips and advice would be appreciated!

TIA

Honored Contributor

Don't have one yet, but tempted...can't 100% justify it, but LOTS of folks following the McDougall, Furhman WOE use the Instapot. I can recommend some things:

Facebook: Group called InstaPot Users Group - G-BOMB -the nuts & bolts of Eat To Live. It's a closed group, but users post TONS of pictures of what they made...lots of ideas. Come join!!

YouTube: Search Instant Pot...lots & lots of videos

Discount: If you purchase directly from their website, there's a discount code of $45 by using "AJ"

Here are a couple websites that talk about pressure cooking...using the Instant Pot. If you search Instant Pot, you'll find many vegetarian/vegan websites since pressure cooking greens, beans & potatoes is the foundation of those diets. But I'm sure you could cook a mean pot roast in there, though!! HTH!

Healthy Girl's Kitchen

Chef AJ

Super Contributor

Sidsmom, I knooowww I've seen them all which makes me so tempted. Unfortunately I do not have a FB (I don't particularly care for the idea of it) so I can't really check out that group. I've read on the forums (mcdougall) that Its the same price, if not cheaper just to buy it off amazon rather than to use a code and buy it from the instantpot.com

Maybe we should take the plunge together??

Honored Contributor

I'm just sitting here preaching to the choir!! Amazon might get to you faster, to boot. Many are making soy yogurt in it...looks yummy. I was steaming some potatoes the other day...and my pan almost boiled dry...THAT was time I really considered budgeting for a pressure cooker. Plus, whenever I steam cauliflower and broccoli, I get a "the place smells like butt" comments!! HA.

Curious...what would you make?

Super Contributor
Off the top of my head: brown rice, brands, lentils, steamed veggies, seitan. Of course it slow cooks too. And whatever recipes I can make in a pressure cooker. Have you ever checked out simpledailyrecipes.com ? The woman on there is quite quirky but knows her WFPB foods!
Super Contributor
Beans*
Honored Contributor

No..I haven't heard of this site. THANKS! The Veggie Queen is a good site..and cooks w/ IP, as well. Do you follow Chef AJ? She has hour-long teleconference calls almost weekly...gives good ideas & inspiration. Now you got me all excited to maybe get one...!!!!

Super Contributor
No, but I've heard of Chef AJ. I'll have to check her out too. I just love the idea of being able to cook rice and beans in mere minutes instead of hours.
Respected Contributor
K, a cooking vessel is not what my mind went to first when reading the title.
Respected Contributor

My neighbor purchased her instant pot, and hers is the latest model from Amazon.

It looks quite nice and has many of the features my digital electronic PC has, only exception is the inner base is all stainless steel on the instant pot, so no black or brown inner coatings coming off into the food.