Super Contributor

Re: OT~~ Hip Replacement Help Please

I had my left hip replaced 2 yrs. ago and it was the best experience I could have imagined. Yes, there was some pain, but the meds kept it tolerable. I started physical therapy one week after surgery and continued for 6 wks. I have no pain at all anymore. I highly recommend having the surgery done. Do it before you become too incapacitated. The Dr. gave me a few simple exercises to do before surgery and that helped strengthen surrounding muscles so that I feel it really helped me recover faster. Do it!!!!!!

Super Contributor

I had a hip replacement 3-4 years ago and had avoided surgery because I was chicken. I went in with incredible pain (bone on bone) and a limp. After surgery, no limp and zero pain.

OK, now my eye surgeon says I need a cataract removed. That's another thread entirely. Let me say that I chickened out 3 times. Still haven't done it.

I'm not advising you to have your hip replaced, but I wondered why I waited so long. I'm sure you will make the right decision for you.

Wishing you the best.

About therapy. They are all about torture and you think they're out to kill you, but do it! I was very fortunate to have done strengthening exercises before surgery and that was painful, but therapy was a breeze for me!

New Contributor

Hi, I just had my second hip replaced July 2. I had my first hip replaced two years ago and I have no pain in it what so ever. I put the second hip surgery off, but wish now that I had not. Be prepared, it is not an easy surgery and takes time to recover. I've heard the anterior approach is easier surgery but I had the outer entry that my surgeon does. Good luck, you won't be sorry and you will wish you had done it sooner!
Super Contributor

Don't put it off too long. My surgeon said that the worse the bone degeneration the greater likelihood of a replacement failure. I had waited and I should have had it done sooner. Because my bones were very soft, I had to use a walker after surgery for 6 weeks to keep my full weight off the hip. I had my right done 1/31/13 and my left done on 8/14/13 - both with the anterior approach. I highly recommend the anterior surgery because there is less pain and recovery time is much less. I also went to Bonesmart.org for answers to a lot of my questions. They were very helpful. I live alone and I was fine doing rehab at home. They make sure you can get out of bed by yourself before discharging you. Today, I don't have to use a walker or cane. I still have pain - because I have severe osteoarthritis but at least I can walk now. Do It!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Contributor

You all are amazing and so kind in sharing your experiences. I bought myself another month or so. Because I never seriously did PT, I decided to give it a try. It may be a mistake but I am going to start Thursday. I am also going for another opinion with my MRI films and reports. The surgery scheduler was kind and told me that when I decided I was ready, she would get me in within a couple of weeks. I figure I will give one more conservative approach a try. If this fails I will be convinced. I will surely let you all know the outcome.

Hugs from CA,

Chris

Super Contributor

On 7/13/2014 OLLIE1 said:

I to am scheduled for an anterior direct approach hip replacement on July 28. Do not put it off !! The pain and disability from it only gets worse. I now have to use a cane and even with that I am having difficulty doing housework and getting around. I have tried injections,PT etc to no avail only to get worse. My physician says if it goes too long it can affect the bone. Put your big girl pants on and DO IT!! I am also an R.N.

Good Luck with your surgery!!! Smile Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Super Contributor

On 7/15/2014 donor said:

You all are amazing and so kind in sharing your experiences. I bought myself another month or so. Because I never seriously did PT, I decided to give it a try. It may be a mistake but I am going to start Thursday. I am also going for another opinion with my MRI films and reports. The surgery scheduler was kind and told me that when I decided I was ready, she would get me in within a couple of weeks. I figure I will give one more conservative approach a try. If this fails I will be convinced. I will surely let you all know the outcome.

Hugs from CA,

Chris

I know you will make the right decision and good luck.

Contributor

Hi Gail.... Praying your surgery went well! Let us know when you are able! Best wishes... Chris
Super Contributor

On 7/15/2014 donor said:

Hugs from CA,

Chris

Good for you! There is no reason to rush major surgery. You can always go under the knife. Give the PT a go..... Then decide.
Contributor

Hi - I had a hip replacement at 57 years old. I had spent the previous ten years walking with a cane and the pain worsened over time. I didn't want to have surgery either but finally I just couldn't take the pain any longer. It was the best thing I ever did. I won't say it was easy - the surgeon accidently broke the upper part of my leg during the surgery so I had that to contend with also. I went to a rehab for three weeks after surgery and that was also a blessing. I had great physical therapy in rehab and then when I came home. I lived alone and was able to take care of myself after the rehab with no outside help. I used a walker for the first six weeks - I think so long because of the broken leg. The pain for me was intense after surgery BUT moreso because of the broken leg. It took me close to a year to walk completely limp free - but I think that was because I had limped for ten years.

All in all it was the BEST thing I could ever have done for myself. Now I am able to go anywhere I want without having to think can I do this? I hated the cane - made me feel like an old lady. Good luck in whatever decision you make!!!