Honored Contributor

Re: OT~~ Hip Replacement Help Please

I urge you to go for the surgery, based on your admission that your hip issue affects your life, and your mental health. You are only 59 years old, and I urge you to take control, and get your life back!

It has been 2 1/2 years since I took back control of my own life after knee replacement. I had suffered with osteoarthritis for 13 years, and was absolutely miserable from the pain. I felt myself slipping farther and farther back from my life, because of the pain and discomfort in trying to be mobile and continue doing things. I finally realized that if I didn't "man up" and have the surgery, I was probably not going to be able to walk in another 2 years. I was only 56 years old, and in good health except for a degenerated knee, and I was not ready to spend the rest of my life sitting in a scooter chair or a wheelchair! They are both wonderful devices in giving mobility to people with severe conditions who really need it, but I decided I was not going to give up and sit down for the rest of my life. I had legs and I was going to use them! So I embraced the idea of surgery; found out everything I needed to know about the procedure, and what the surgeon was going to do. Since I was an employee of the hospital where I was going to have the surgery, I talked to OR staff, orthopedic staff, Physical Therapy staff, so that I was fully aware of what I had to do to heal myself. I made up my mind that NOTHING was going to stand in my way of making my surgery successful! Many hospital employees who worked with me before, and after the surgery complimented me on my determined attitude, and said they knew I would do well with my recovery, because my overall attitude was so different from what they usually see in their patients. Fifteen days after surgery, I walked into my follow-up appointment on a cane---not a walker. My bend and flex movements were over 90% within a few weeks, and I just kept trucking. Recovery was indeed tough and very painful at times, but I kept telling myself that I'd made it through 13 years of pain and agony, and as soon as I pushed myself through the healing pain, I would be fine----so I pushed, and 2 1/2 years later I feel I am more than fine.

I am doing my best to promote knee replacement positively, and to encourage those who have fears in how to wrap their mind around what they have to do to get their life back. The surgeon can only do so much, hospital staff can only do so much, and as the patient, you have to understand that making a successful recovery is up to you. I wasn't ready to give up at 57, and I really don't think you are ready to give up at 59. Even though we are talking two different surgeries, the right attitude is essential for both, and I urge you to push forward instead of letting your fears hold you back.

Just FYI, the 93 year old mother of one of my best friends fell and broke her hip in June. She had surgery, went to rehab for 3 weeks, and is now back at home. This woman is tiny at 115 lbs, and had her lower leg amputated years ago from diabetes (same side as the broken hip). Due to swelling, she was unable to get her prosthesis on until the last 3 days of rehab therapy, but she showed the staff she was able to walk on her own with the walker, and since she lives with her daughter, she was discharged home---not to a nursing home.

My very best wishes to you donor with whatever you decide to do.

Contributor

I to am scheduled for an anterior direct approach hip replacement on July 28. Do not put it off !! The pain and disability from it only gets worse. I now have to use a cane and even with that I am having difficulty doing housework and getting around. I have tried injections,PT etc to no avail only to get worse. My physician says if it goes too long it can affect the bone. Put your big girl pants on and DO IT!! I am also an R.N.

Contributor

Thank you all for your stories of encouragement. I am still having trouble flipping the switch so to speak. I decided this weekend that the pain med was not for me. Making me feel ill and nervous. I don't need anything making me MORE nervous! What is holding me back I think is that I don't need pain meds all the time, like many of you have described. One of the last doctors said I needed the replacement at some point but in his opinion I was not ready. The last doctor I saw, the one who would do the surgery....is the one I started with a few years ago. He is a kind man and has tried all other means to resolve this for me. He's run out of ideas other than replacing the joint. I will let you all know what I do. Hugs, from California.

Chris

Super Contributor

My 56 year old cousin had hers done recently and said it was the best thing she ever did. My uncle is scheduled for any day now and he is 78 and can't wait to have it done because the pain from surgery can't be any worse than the pain he is feeling now (he has to use a walker right now). My BF's 82 year old mother just had hers done two weeks ago and she is getting along quite well for her age. It is a very common procedure nowadays.

Not applicable

I was searching post-op care for my friend who just had an anterior hip replacement Thurs when I found this thread.

The decision to have surgery is a major one. Almost 2 years ago I had both knees replaced so I am not anti-surgery at all. It was the best choice for me and has turned my life around.

My understanding is that surgery is done as a last option. If you can't manage the pain anymore and are losing out on life, then it is time. If you can get pain management that allows you to enjoy all your usual activities then it isn't time yet.

You really have to go into the surgery with a great attitude and willingness to work hard at PT and get your life back. If you are too nervous to commit to the recovery process it may not be time. I strongly recommend you get that second opinion to help make your decision. You may also want to think about a therapist since you feel the pain is impacting your mental health. They can help teach you coping skills for the anxiety.

Best wishes either way!

Trusted Contributor

On 7/13/2014 donor said:

Thank you all for your stories of encouragement. I am still having trouble flipping the switch so to speak. I decided this weekend that the pain med was not for me. Making me feel ill and nervous. I don't need anything making me MORE nervous! What is holding me back I think is that I don't need pain meds all the time, like many of you have described. One of the last doctors said I needed the replacement at some point but in his opinion I was not ready. The last doctor I saw, the one who would do the surgery....is the one I started with a few years ago. He is a kind man and has tried all other means to resolve this for me. He's run out of ideas other than replacing the joint. I will let you all know what I do. Hugs, from California.

Chris

If after all of these wonderful posts where you have been given success story after success story your still hesitant, then obviously your not ready and it has not had a negative impact on your lifestyle. Waiting until your in excruciating pain is a bad move. Sounds to me like you need a few more opinions but make no mistake it will only get worse. Have you had injections and have you gone to Physical Therapy? My husband tried everything and it didn't work. In addition he has a high level corporate job and he needs to be at his best when working and making important decisions.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

All I can add to the conversation is someone told me to buy satin sheets to slide easily in and out of bed after hip replacement and it did help a lot.
Super Contributor

SATIN SHEETS HELP.
Super Contributor

I say do it while you are relatively young. I see what my mom suffers with and now they won't do anything since she is too frail.

Just be sure to get a second opinion.

Frequent Contributor

Chris, I just have a couple of suggestions for your comfort while in rehab I've been in rehab 3 times. (once for brain bleed twice for hip replacements.)

if you use a silk pillow case now take it with you! the hospital sheets are like sand paper also if you have a sleep mask it sure comes in handy.

Also make sure you keep your cell phone close to your hands and charged make sure you get the phone number of the nurses station on the floor you will be on. this is good for hospital and rehab. trust me, you'll need it when they won't come when you use the bedside buzzer. remember after surgery and during rehab you are going to get constipated. don't eat any of their starchy foods. eat plenty of fiber and ask a relative to stock the frig in the nurses lounge with your favorite yogurt so you can keep your flora balanced. since you're not allowed to bring any of your prescriptions or supplements with you you might need to talk to your doctor before hand about what you want to take. physical therapy is the best part. it will probably hurt a bit at first but really its a piece of cake work hard and do what the therapist tells you. and you'll be good as new before you know it. Good luck and God Speed.