Super Contributor

OT- Have any of you ever heard of or follow a Whole-Food Plant Based Diet?

2 Months ago I watched a documentary on Netflix called Forks Over Knives (basically forks over scalpels: gastric bypass, coronary heart bypass, ect) . Essentially we are able to cure our ailments (heart disease, cancers, migraines, ect) with what we put in our mouths. I always knew this could be possible with heart disease and migraines , but to be able to control any possible cancer growth with food! I was astounded. Esentially this is a low-fat vegan diet. I have found that since I have been following this "lifestyle" a lot of things have changed for the better. ZERO indigestion, weight loss (obviously as I have stopped eating anything processed), clearer skin, more energy, and I have completely stopped thinking about food ALL OF THE TIME! I just wanted to see if there were anymore followers out there with any great suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Re: OT- Have any of you ever heard of or follow a Whole-Food Plant Based Diet?

Yes, I read a bunch of books about 20 years ago spouting about how meat was evil and we'd all be healthier if we were vegan or at least vegetarian. By the way I got cancer while I was vegan. It's completely false that you can control cancer with a vegan diet. Have you read the recent books spouting the paleo diet? They espouse the complete opposite diet while espousing similar health claims.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

This is very inspiring for those that struggle with healthier eating, which is really how I eat 85% of the time. It's the old adage - garbage in/garbage out, reaping what we sow. Too bad the food industry sometimes is not our friend, and actually assists in creating "food" monsters.

Honored Contributor

As a vegetarian, I don't think meat is *evil*, I prepare it for my family.

But I do buy organic beef, and chicken and all natural pork (with no antibiotics, hormones, etc.).

I care just as much about how the animals are treated before they end up on your plate.

That said, sugar is the killer. JMHO.

There's a cookbook coming out this week (Tuesday?) called 100 Days of Real Food, if your interested.

Super Contributor

On 8/23/2014 jaxs mom said:

Yes, I read a bunch of books about 20 years ago spouting about how meat was evil and we'd all be healthier if we were vegan or at least vegetarian. By the way I got cancer while I was vegan. It's completely false that you can control cancer with a vegan diet. Have you read the recent books spouting the paleo diet? They espouse the complete opposite diet while espousing similar health claims.

I fully believe that we are predisposed to some hereditary genes that raise our chances for getting cancer, but you don't think the diet may lend you helping hand in fighting it?

BTW are you well now?

Honored Contributor

Cancer isn't one disease. It's a wide variety of diseases with different causes, manifestations and treatments. My cancer wasn't one with a known genetic link and no one in my family has ever had it. I'm fine now after chemotherapy and I'm considered to be cured since I've been cancer free for so long. Even in cancers where there are known genetic links, science still doesn't know why only a fraction of people with the genetic markers get cancer.

Honored Contributor

FOK is an amazing film...wish everyone would watch it. I've been on a LFWFPB diet for yrs...feel great. Lots of potatoes & rice and lots of greens (raw & cooked).

I don't think anyone said a Vegan cures cancer....but what it CAN do, if you have said cancer, eating this way can make you feel much, much better since your system is not working as hard breaking down animal products before moving to the intestinal area. Your body will be more alkaline, which results in less aches & pains. Since your system isn't working as hard, you recover quicker. Sleep is better. Your body is breathing a sigh of relief....all the energy is focused on your recovery, instead of digestion.

Vegan isn't 'magic'....but it sure can make you feel better when your days aren't going so well.

I was in a FB group which ate raw, vegan...essentially fruit, vegetables, few nuts, seeds. There was a poster that was pregnant. Her 'ah-ha' moment was...morning sickness..."it usually occurred a couple hours after I had my huge breakfast of fruit...and when I did throw up...there was nothing there to come up. Everything was digested quickly an hour after I ate. It made this unpleasant experience much better." Case in point.

I'm so happy you found FOK...there's only a small group on these boards that support this WOE...but continue to post about it if it moves you! Happy Health!!

Honored Contributor

Sorry, having lived it I can tell you that my vegan diet didn't help me to feel better, before I was even diagnosed I could barely keep food down at all, I had to force myself to get out of bed to use the bathroom I was so weak and tired and I literally felt like I was dying. I was misdiagnosed originally which is why I ended up stage 3 before they finally figured out what was wrong with me.

I'm not against vegetarian and vegan diets, but I am against the propaganda that you can save the world and prevent cancer by with it. Same way I'm against the same claims by the paleo crowd. I think whole foods and no GMOs and organic is the way to go.

Super Contributor

We would all probably be healthier if we ate like our ancestors ate. No gmo, no processed and all organic.

Respected Contributor

I agree, I think whole foods, non-gmo is the way to go. Organic, I am not convinced. Although, I do buy organic at times, I buy conventional too. I just buy what I feel for the moment. I, too, dont think being vegan is a cure all or some kind of insurance in not getting sick. Genes have a lot to do with it as well. I, too, dont think meat is evil. I just gave it up because of the animal cruelty and not because of health reasons. If I do go back to eating it, I do miss some things, I will definitely make every effort to only eat grass fed free range meat. But, right now, I am okay with what I am doing.