Honored Contributor

Re: OT/ Does anyone have AT & T U Verse?

On 6/16/2014 Katluvr58 said:

I've had it and went to Comcast, after about 3 months I went back to AT&T. The service is very good. Also if you go to make the switch check it out online because often they offer perks like pre-paid cards for new service. Sometimes it can be up to 200.00-300.00 depending on the package.

I got a gift card for upgrading. It's been over a year. I had regular AT&T. I bundled the internet and the phone. No issues.

Super Contributor

On 6/16/2014 Classique said:

I have it but was told the area where I am located is too far from their tower or whatever it is for good reception.

We are in a very populated area so I think ATT has misrepresented the service by selling it where people are out-of-range.

Their repair service and technicians are good and I've been an ATT customer for many years so will stay with them.

I think you'd be very satisfied as long as you are in range for good reception.

BTW, be sure to use your gift card before it expires. I used mine on the last day but the one I got for the regular Internet from ATT expired and IIRC, they charge for using it after the expiration date.

These cards are kind of gimmicky in that they know many people will forget to use them in time.

Regular Contributor

I'm an unhappy Uverse customer. I only have it because my brother works for AT&T. If you like calling customer service in India for hours at a time, being lied to by the service techs, and having to take off work because they don't do repairs on the evening then by all means get uverse.
Super Contributor

On 6/16/2014 Dosey said: What great timing! It is time to renegotiate my annual contract with Charter. I received an offer from AT&T offering cable and internet for $49 per month and a $100 gift card. There is a one-time set up fee of $49, and of course the boxes are an extra monthly charge. But it will still be less than Charter, unless they will match the price to keep me as a customer. For those with AT&T, how much does AT&T charge for cable and internet after your one year contract expires? Do you have to pay full price, or can you renegotiate your contract to get the current deal AT&T is offering? TIA!

Hi Dosey, most of the cable companies play a game after the contract ends. You call and threaten to leave and they give you a new contract at a good price. Seems like a childish game but that is how it often works. Comcast and Wow worked the same way for me.

Honored Contributor

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter here. We tried to change over to Uverse because my hubby wanted faster internet and was tired of paying WOW prices. We had already changed over to DirecTV for TV service. You choose the data speed you want to pay for and he chose the middle speed. After 2 days of working on it, we determined that all we could get was slower than what we were already getting with WOW. The service tech was great, but his boss kept telling us we were getting what we paid for, which clearly we weren't.

At the same time, AT&T disabled my phone. I have a separate phone and separate bill, so I don't know why they decided to do that. And then they told my husband he couldn't have his number back on WOW.

On top of that, they kept trying to bill us for installation.

I have to wonder how many people out there are paying a premium for faster internet speeds and then didn't bother to check it to verify that they are getting what they paid for.

Respected Contributor

We switched about a year ago to uVerse from the regular DSL service of ATT. We are set up with uVerse on our internet and phone services.

We have not gone to uVerse on our television service. We currently use Directv, which has been wonderful. I am aware that ATT bough out Directv several months ago, but the buy out did not include a contract with the Hallmark Channels, and those are my favorites. When the Hallmark channels become available on uVerse we will probably include that.

I'm sorry Katluvr58, I don't have a copy of our bill handy, but I am sure it saved us in excess of $100.00 per month to switch to uVerse. Well worth the change. We left Charter shortly after Hurricane Katrina when they told us it would be several months before they could restore our service. Went to Directv, which has been absolutely perfect since then.

As for problems, we have only had one - our computer screens jump around, move to the right side, etc. Makes it difficult to work sometimes. They haven't figured out why, so I can't give you advice on that.

Respected Contributor

On 6/16/2014 Dosey said: What great timing! It is time to renegotiate my annual contract with Charter. I received an offer from AT&T offering cable and internet for $49 per month and a $100 gift card. There is a one-time set up fee of $49, and of course the boxes are an extra monthly charge. But it will still be less than Charter, unless they will match the price to keep me as a customer. For those with AT&T, how much does AT&T charge for cable and internet after your one year contract expires? Do you have to pay full price, or can you renegotiate your contract to get the current deal AT&T is offering? TIA!

U-Verse in my area is no contract service. I have a guaranteed price for a year, yes, but I can drop them at any time without penalty. If they hike my price after the year, then I drop them and move on. I had TWC with supposedly guaranteed price before I switched to U-Verse. Funny thing about the TWC guaranteed price, it applied only to the programming charges, NOT to the equipment charges (love that fine print), and they raised the equipment prices twice in less than 2 years.

Super Contributor

We had AT&T Uverse for the year we had signed a contract for. The day the contract was up, we cancelled and went back to our cable company. Terrible reception on the TV and I couldn't answer my phone unless I turned off the TV. Customer service was terrible AFTER they brainwashed me into switching to them.

Valued Contributor

AT&T Uverse charges go up every February. It doesn't matter what you have....we have internet, home phone and TV and it goes up every year.

We've had a few problems lately when the TV stops and has to be rebooted or you wait 2 minutes and it comes back. All in all it's ok. We've only had Direct TV and U verse but it's a hassle to switch since our TV is in a huge entertainment center and it's difficult to get behind it.