Honored Contributor

Re: OT Blood thinners and bruising

On 4/13/2014 sciencegeek said:

I've been on warfarin for years. I do bruise much more easily, and paper cuts bleed more. But if you are bruising WITHOUT bumping into things, your dosage is probably off. Make a lab appointment pronto.

I am on Effient and going back to the doc onTuesday

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

I know how you feel!!! I've been on Plavix since 11-2011 and bruising is awful! But, last year I was on prednisone nearly all year! Now, I have reddish bruising spots on my arms and my skin is so thin!! My Dr told me I look like some of his 80 yr old patients!! I told him thank you but ah I'm only 54 yr old!! He said the prednisone makes the blood thinner bruise you more and prednisone causes bruising and thin skin!! Not to mention the weight gain prednisone puts on you! Just venting.....but want you to know you are not alone and we can't stop taking the med b/c of having strokes! I've had my share of stokes and glad to be on this earth!
Honored Contributor

My dad takes Coumadin & his arms look all bloody bruised. Have not seen the rest of his body so don't know if he looks like that all over or not. Does not look good to me at all. He sees his doctor all the time so his doctor knows he looks like this.

Super Contributor

On 4/13/2014 Nightowlz said:

My dad takes Coumadin & his arms look all bloody bruised. Have not seen the rest of his body so don't know if he looks like that all over or not. Does not look good to me at all. He sees his doctor all the time so his doctor knows he looks like this.

I see my Dr regular too....I know exactly what it looks like because it sounds like you describe my arms! My body just has bruises like I bumped into something! What bothers me - I have a few on my face! Nothing covers it without noticing the m/u on my face! But, I have to take it or risk another stroke.......don't want that.....hope your Dad is doing great....
Valued Contributor

As we age, our skin thins making it easier to bruise. Taking blood thinners or aspirin products will increase the bruising. Speak to your doctor.
Honored Contributor

On 4/13/2014 vmnsc said:
On 4/13/2014 Nightowlz said:

I see my Dr regular too....I know exactly what it looks like because it sounds like you describe my arms! My body just has bruises like I bumped into something! What bothers me - I have a few on my face! Nothing covers it without noticing the m/u on my face! But, I have to take it or risk another stroke.......don't want that.....hope your Dad is doing great....

Thanks. He's doing fine right now except having problems with what he thinks if Neuropathy from his diabetes. He will find out when he sees his doctor tomorrow. I see you are in SC that's where my dad lives. Used to go there when I was a kid to visit all the relatives. We are thinking of moving there when we retire. Already bought our plots in Anderson. Hope you are doing great too. Have you tried Dermablend on your face? It's suppose to work to cover all kinds of things.

Contributor

If you are taking Omega 3 fish oil, it can also contribute to thinning of the blood that may lead to bruising.

Contributor

I was in the hospital and was given cumadin and heparin for a blood clot in my knee. Not only did I turn black and blue all over my body but I ended up with internal bleeding and was told I had a 10% chance of living....Fooled them, I am still here. Some people are allergic to blood thinners. If you are having problems speak with your doctor...it could save your life.

I was also told by the hospital that if I previously took Prednisone when I was younger (which I did). It can cause a later in life bruising problem. I now bruise severely on my arms if I bump anything.

Super Contributor

Definitely let your doctor know. Many patients who are on blood thinners need a dosage adjustment and always need careful monitoring.

I worked in a Hematology research lab for many years. We did a study on patients taking warfarin and monitored their therapeutic range with a new test we developed. Even dietary changes could detect a change in their PT level, which might need a dosage adjustment.

Respected Contributor

Hey ~ My Husband takes blood thinners ever since major surgery in 2011. His arms look terrible. Any yard work, and he looks like he has been clawed by a cat. A simple scratch will bleed like crazy. A bump into something turns into a bruise. He has to have blood work done once a month to check for the Coumadin levels. Any food high in Vitamin K can alter his levels if he eats too much of it.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey