Respected Contributor

Re: OMG, I Just Bought a New Car

Lucky Charm, They are in boosters, one backless and one high back. I have a seat protector under them both, but a towel along the back of the high back for its back to be supported. I didn't think about a face cloth or baby wipe for cleaning it. I use those in the car all the time along with an extra beach towel and roll of paper towels. WeatherTec are the mats I'm going for. The one piece mats for the back means the middle part is also protected. I also want one for the trunk to catch the things that fall like the bag of cat food that gets a mysterious hole in it or dirt from the kids toys at the beach. Lets not mention the fact my niece is smuggling the entire sand box home from day care in her shoes every single day! I've seen where people take a shower caddy and use that to put the kids food in between them in the car to hold the food/fries in their reach. I'll probably put a towel under that as well!
Honored Contributor

Ask the dealer if this is a new car dealer. Personally, I'd leave the leather alone, apart from an occasional wipe with a wet cloth. I have friends who "maintained" a quality leather chair with three different products. Its 20 years old, and cracked to pieces. I have three pieces of leather furniture I haven't put anything on and they are all just fine. Congrats, hope you enjoy the car.
Respected Contributor

Night Owlz, mine is the magnetic gray metalic too!  I like the color because of the ever so slight sparkle.  I have not tried the GPS or the windshield wipers yet, so I'll have to look into that before I need them.  I can't for the life of me program the garage opener.  I've tried all of the instructions, so it must be one of those that can't be programed.  I love the space and have averaged 36 mpg according to the computer in my drives to work, so excellent milage for commuting.  I got the phone synced once I got home, and it works very well according to my sister and mother.

Respected Contributor

Depglass, I will ask them and see what they recommend with the new leather being produced differently than the older ones.

I do want to get the windows tinted darker, but the are slightly tinted so even though it is a dark color and black interior, it wasn't too hot today versus my Forester because that car has tons of glass to get hots even with windshield sun screen.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tigriss wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

I would never buy a car that did NOT have leather seats--they are almost number one on my list of must haves. They are so much more comfortable and easier to maintain.  

Ashamedly, I don't do anything to mine, but in full disclosure my husband cleans my car both inside and out.  

MagicMoodz, can I borrow your husband?  I don't want to keep him, just borrow him for some of my honey do things.  This fall I have to tackle the grapevines the rabbits have deposited in my front bushes that have grown over everything from my busy summer of negelect.  I just need him for a short time, and will feed him well with Southern cooking and plenty of fresh country air!

@Tigriss

Oh tigriss, my husband isn't talented in all areas.  For instance, he scores low on mechanical ability or building anything.  We have to hire those jobs out. But he does a wonderful job in keeping our lawn manicured and could be a great help to you.  And I am sure he would enjoy your Southern cooking!  

ETA:  tigriss, enjoy your new car!  How exciting!

Respected Contributor

@DoxieMomma wrote:

Congrats on the new ride! 

For long term care of your leather seats, Armor All is cr*p.......sorry, but it is. A lot of people use it because it's easily accessible and heavily advertised. Long term, Armor All will leave a film and buildup on your seats. Most true car guys (and gals😃) will tell you it's better to do nothing than use Armor All. 

Some good brands, that are still relatively inexpensive, are Lexol (pretty sure you can get it at Wal-Mart). Also, if you go to an auto supply store (O'Rielly's/Auto Zone), you can get brands like Meguiar's or Griot's Garage. 

If the seats are clean, they'll just need to be conditioned as needed. Most of these products are just wipe on/wipe off. This will help keep the leather nice and supple, help prevent cracking. 

Personally, I only condition mine occasionally. I live in the Deep South and almost always park outside (our garages are full of cars, hence the above knowledge). My SUV is black (draws a lot of heat) and I haven't had any issues with the seats being damaged/cracking. If I could just figure out how to fully protect them from doggie nails, I'd be set! 

You're abolsutely right and Armor All.  STAY AWAY

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

tigress, Congrats on the Avalon!  I just traded in a 17 yr old Toyota with leather seats in very good shape.  They had NO cracks - but a few little "laugh lines" on the driver's seat you might say.  I used Armor All regularly.  The car did sleep in the garage (and napped in the shade as much as possible), so perhaps I'm giving the Armor All too much credit. Maybe there is better product out there, but the AA has been working for this Toyota girl. Gotta love the leather seats; I'll never go back to cloth.