Honored Contributor

O.k. -- I think I need help with foundation advice -- I'm not doing so good on my own....

I have been experimenting lately and purchasing various foundations and powders in drugstores.  The products themselves aren't bad - but I can't seem to figure out what shades to buy that look good on me any more.

I had on an Almay foundation the other day which I thought looked fine.  I got in the car to go some place and - oh, my goodness --- the foundartion color was horrible.  The color was too tan looking and dark for me.  The shade was a fair shade.  I am fair to begin with but not pasty white.  I have a bit of redness -- not a lot -- from Rosacea -- and a few broken caps.  

At age 71, I don't know what color of foundation or powder to pick any more.  I know that I seem to fall into the cool color palette.  Most lighter shades seem to be in the warm palette which don't look good on me.

I don't want to pick a shade so light that I look dead.  I am at a quandry.  Should I be picking a very light foundation and then depending upon a powder to add more color or what?  Bronzers look horrible on me. and I have a very hard time with blushers --- I think it's me --- I end up with unnatural colored spots on my face.

Any advice from anyone more experienced with makeup than me --- which would probably be about anyone?  I have to use fragrance free products as I am very sensitive to most things.  

I would go for a makeover but there is really not much of anywhere around me close as I live in a very small village and I would have to drive like 2 hours away and I don't drive that far any more.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: O.k. -- I think I need help with foundation advice -- I'm not doing so good on my own....

I would suggest you go to a makeup counter where they can match your complection.  Buying different products is going to really add up.

Good luck.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: O.k. -- I think I need help with foundation advice -- I'm not doing so good on my own....

@AngelPuppy1   I might have a suggestion for you.  I gave up on liquid and cream foundation....It always looked too heavy, dark, or yellow on my skin and settled in lines.  I have used Bare Minerals for years.  It is a powder but buffs like a cream.  I like the original loose foundation in Fair.  I also love the bisque concealer that I many times use as a foundation in the original bisque shade.  Both of these have no yellow undertones and no fragrance.  My skin is sensitive like yours...
Hopefully they offer the deluxe size again during the holidays.  I buy it every year and stock up.  You might want to experiment with a smaller size to see if it works for you.  If you have a buffer brush the results will be even better. 

Honored Contributor

Re: O.k. -- I think I need help with foundation advice -- I'm not doing so good on my own..

[ Edited ]

I've been through the guessing game myself.  The delivery methods (liquid, cream, stick, powder) and coverage is a preference thing so only the user knows what they like (BB/CC cream, foundation, skin tint).  Shades can be tricky. I also agree with getting color matched by someone who knows what they're doing.  Back when I was still shopping at Ulta, the associate's match for me was awful. The girl at Sephora did much better.  

Some makeup brands have online color matching where you supply a picture using your phone's camera and some software on their website figures it out Make sure you're in the proper background lighting.  There will be instructions. You'll have to do your own research as to which brand websites have the service.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

You indicate you can't/don't drive to get a color match at a store. Have you tried getting a lighter shade of same foundation and mixing the 2 foundations to get a closer match to your skin? I have to do this myself as I am between fair and light. I just put a small dab or each on back of my left hand, mix with finger and then apply as normal. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

Some foundations can oxidize before you are out the door! Some mineral or powder foundations can make you look dry even if you are not! I guess I would start out with a light serum foundation that has more of a "color range". My L'Oreal serum tint is Light 2-3 and is somewhat color correcting/adjusting. Laura Geller's Baked Balance and Brighten does the same thing in a powder format. 

Having a color match at the cosmetics counter is never a bad thing and if it is a Nordstrom, you can take home samples to try before buying!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   Wow, a two hour drive? That's too bad becuase with your sensitivities, a department store try on of foundations is the only way for you to find the best one for you.

Drugstores do not allow a "try on" or samples. You could end up paying hundreds of dollars and still not find the coverage, sheerness, undertone, shade, etc. of the makeup you'll like. 

Personally, I'd take the drive because when your foundation is "off", nothing else you put on will look correct. If you do go, please get your concealer matched as well.

Get samples at different counters and try them at home w/ your skincare and in daylight to check the match. When you do find the correct one, you can call the store and they'll send your foundation...no additional trip there necessary.

Respected Contributor

My advice echos what someone else said--try using online shade matching.  Powder foundations still look best on my 60-year-old face.  After asking on these boards about different brands, I decided to try the Pur brand.  I went online, and their site had the option to try the shades using the camera on my iPad.  I just turned on the camera, stood in front of a window, and clicked on a shade.  It would superimpose it on my face.  Then I tried the same thing in a regular room.  I had decided on two shades but one (Linen) seemed to be the best.  I went to my local Ulta to try the shades, and bingo!  Linen was it!  So their shade selector was right on.  The sales associate at Ulta also helped me pick out a primer, and it was really good but pricey.  I luckily found a drugstore primer that works almost as well for a fraction of the cost.

Honored Contributor

I am so glad ,i don't wear any foundation, once we hit a older age,less is best.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 - I understand that it is. not possible for you to drive to a department store to get foundation advice from a professional. I guess, the first thing would be to call around to the Estee Lauder or Clinique makeup counters of whatever mall, or Nordstom, or Bloomingdales, or Neiman Marcus, etc. higher end department store that still exists anywhere up to 2 hours away from you. Ask if they ever have foundation matching events (ideally) or anyone at, say, the Estee Lauder or Clinique counter who can help you. Sometimes, to bring in customers, they have special artists come in to do a complete facial makeover to promote makeup sales. Is it possible for a friend or a relative of yours to drive you to an appointment made at such a department store for one day? Women ususally like to go to these types of events and it could be fun for both of you (you and your driver/friend). The big goals are to: 1. Determine the color of foundation that looks great on you, and any other makeup items you may wish to have, whetther eye shadows or blushes. 2. Once you know the general shade, you can match it to one at a drugstore, and also look for a foundation that has the main ingredients found in the more expensive foundation you purchased at the department store. Or, you could choose to order the new foundation from the department store online and have it mailed to you. 

I use Loreal Visible Lift foundation in soft ivory, and it has sunscreen spf of 17, which is also important.. 

My skin has a pinkish undertone and is very pale. I use porcelain/fair/the lightest shade of any foundation, and I don't think I look too pale. I cannot wear beige or tan shades of foundation. I do not use any bronzers, as they look terrible on me.