Super Contributor

O/T question for those who count calories

I recently picked up a package of Sunspire Organic 42% cacao chocolate chips. Nutritional info. says "2 Tbs. 15 gm. 70 calories". I count calories closely, have lost 30 lbs. in past 6 mo. by sticking to about 1250 healthy calories a day.

So anyhow, I'm thinking "yay, chocolate chips have only 70 cals. in 2 Tbs"., I'd much rather have 3 Tbs. of chips for the same calories as my usual 100 calorie biscotti for dessert. I bought some other brand, because the organic ones are really expensive. I saw the '70 calories' on the label, figured all was good, but didn't look at the portion size until today.

I went to the store this morning, realized that every single other brand said "70 cal. for ONE Tbs., 15 gm. I was kind of horrified, according to that, I've been snacking on 210 calories of chips, not 105. I got the organic ones and called the company to see why their portion size for 15 gm. was twice that of Hersheys or Nestles. Rep was clueless. I don't understand how 15 grams can be twice the volume depending on the brand. Any idea how this could be?