Honored Contributor

Re: O/T how would you take this?

Perhaps you are reading way too much into her comments? Maybe she is just a little awkward in her statements, nothing more sinister than that? I too thought it sounded more like a compliment.

Super Contributor

I would think compliment. I don't think most people tend to insult, especially when new to the family.

Honored Contributor

Sound like there are judgements being made on both sides of this in-law relationship.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't give it a second thought. It was probably something just awkwardly phrased. My advice would be to forget about it and not look for problems. It doesn't sound to me as something intended as an insult at all.

Honored Contributor

If you and your husband like your house, that's all that matters. You can't control how others feel or what they say.

If you always worry about others then you will never be happy.

Valued Contributor

Is your house bigger than hers? I think that comment just meant you have a lot of room all to yourself. I really wouldn't read that much into it.
Trusted Contributor

I don't understand her question either--it's a bit odd. However, I wouldn't dwell on it. I would probably have said something like, "Of course it's ours." I wouldn't read anything into it. Who knows what she was thinking, but I wouldn't care one way or another whether she liked my house or not. She doesn't have to live in it. You do, and if you are happy with it the way it is, that's all that matters.

My house is far from perfect, but I've been in a few homes that appeared perfect, and I didn't care for them. It's just not my style. I much prefer "homey" and "lived in".

Contributor

Try to remember she's younger and may have a different background. Some people are raised in homes without ""stuff."" Some people use aluminum foil pans and paper plates. Some people are raised in a home that hasn't had anything added to it for 20 years. Who knows... you might say the same to me if you visited my home!

Super Contributor

Understand the homey part, not clear what she meant by "is this all yours?"

I'd just ask her.

Regular Contributor

I wouldn't take offense. She may have been thinking was it all yours meaning did you decorate it & put rooms together all yourself (with no help from decorator). i really don't put much on what others say if I am happy & pleased with it.