Honored Contributor

Re: O/T, car insurance, who do you use?

We're a State Farm family. Home, auto, liability and a separate jewelry policy. I've never used anyone other than State Farm.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

DH had Erie insurance for 50 years but when we moved to Florida we were forced to change. We went with Auto owners and they were ok but last year we decided to look into trying to save some and we ended up - after much research - going with AAA. We are saving $600/year on auto and homeowners ins.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have all state and had a accident and they were great. Bottom line you never know how good a co is until you have to make a claim

Honored Contributor

I was with State Farm for many years. Just last August they notified me they were canceling my home owners policy because I now lived in a "flood zone". Needless to say I took my home owners, umbrella, and auto insurances over to AllState. I couldn't believe after being with them for so many years I was dropped just like that!

Respected Contributor

21st Century.

snappy

Esteemed Contributor

Like a previous poster commented. You never know how good your insurance is until you have to file a claim.

For my home I have a company called CIG. I have been with them for about 12 years, and I had never heard of them before my Insurance Agent signed me up with them. Almost two years ago I had a slab leak. I called on a Sunday and had to leave a voice message. That would be my only complaint. They called me back on Monday morning, and the process started with having the different contractors coming out. They had me taken care of within the week. I was very pleased.

I have my car insurance through a company called Wawanesa. I have had them for perhaps 15 years. Very reasonably priced.

Honored Contributor

My parents had Allstate and when they were in an accident that cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars all bills were paid - we never had a moment's problem with Allstate.I have heard a lot of bad things about allstate but , when I needed them they were wonderful to deal with.
Regular Contributor

We continue to use Traveler's but.... We swithced our agent a couple of years ago ( went thru our local credit union) and our premiums were cut by more than 50% for the exact same coverage (for home and auto- includimg 2 teenage drivers). We were being overcharged by so much through our previous agent for many many years, we had been with them for so long, very upsetting. At first we could not believe how much we would save and said "too good to be true" but looked into it and found out we were just being charged way too much!

Not applicable

Just switched from Amica to Erie after 40 years. Savings for us was 1,100. In the time with Amica, no one ever called to discuss our coverages etc. I am now happy to have a local agent. Had only one $2,000 car claim with Amica in past 25 years. It was handled promptly with no problems.
Valued Contributor

We have had AAA until now..I just got Ameriprise with added rental car coverage and everything else the same and our payment is 25.00 less a month..That is a big savings i really appreciate.It was fast and easy doing this over the phone..I am guessing because they are connected to Costco there CS is most likely good.