Respected Contributor

Re: O/T What to get someone from England from the States?

On 7/27/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

Lannie

Why do you have 2 of these going at the same time?

As I mentioned, I put one on the Food forum also - not every one looks at both forums.

Super Contributor

They don't have Hostess Twinkies. But I wouldn't recommend getting those for anyone English, nor Hershey's chocolate.

Respected Contributor

I send my cousin in Italy things that are local to where I live. For example, we have an arts festivals and I will buy a piece of jewelry from a local artisan.

So I would stick with something local from your area.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Clover29 said:
On 7/27/2014 LadyBug77 said: My former fiancé was from London and when he visited with his twin 7 year old boys they were fascinated with shopping at Walmart. They were blown away about how you can buy everything from shoes to steak all in one place. Maybe take her there and let her find some things she likes.

??? There are tons of places in England where you can buy shoes and steak (and lots more). Pretty much any large supermarket, just like Walmart. Asda, for example (who are owned by Walmart). Sainsbury's. I just can't imagine someone from London never having been to a large supermarket.

Huh? They must have been time travelers....lol. I swear, you can't make this stuff up....lol. I think she believes London, England in general, is all Harry Potter-ish. Very funny.

Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Clover29 said:

They don't have Hostess Twinkies. But I wouldn't recommend getting those for anyone English, nor Hershey's chocolate.

They have their own tasteless plastic food. I'm sure they have something that resembles a Twinky.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I will ask my son what her/kids interests are.

I wanted to keep holidays and patriotic things out of it, but will think about that apple pie plate. Basket might not fit in her luggage very well, but that's a good idea too.

As for a Jersey, it would have to be a Green Bay Packer or Brewer one, unless she or her kids have another preference - I live in WI!

Thanks again for the ideas - I appreciate it!

Honored Contributor

Something Made in USA. There has to be 'something'.....(lol).....local artists, etc. Maybe a watercolor of a famous American landmark or city?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

On 7/27/2014 ROMARY said:

Something Made in USA. There has to be 'something'.....(lol).....local artists, etc. Maybe a watercolor of a famous American landmark or city?

Funny you should say that - whatever I get, I better make sure to look on the back to see where it's made, ha, ha!!!

Super Contributor

Maybe you can find out something she likes or wants while she is visiting, then you can mail her a present after she leaves.

We may have cheaper prices on a certain beauty product she likes. Or she may fall in love with maple syrup from vermont.

Or you can ask her what she wants to do. I don't know what state you live in, but maybe there is a site that she would like to visit.

Super Contributor

I think you should get them some of whatever is local and unique to you and your area. The jerseys are a good idea. Or something from a local college team. When I went to Arizona for work I got my kids some cactus candy and they loved it. Ask your son and go from there! Enjoy!