Honored Contributor

Re: O/T Ultimate Grammar Fail?

On 5/18/2014 just bee said:

There was a great thread here not long ago where we were able to vent and post all the examples. Everyone's blood pressure came down and we were as one.

Then it got poofed.

I was thinking about that thread which contained some excellent information. There were some explanations about usage of words that people frequently misuse like starting a sentence with Myself.

I hope this thread doesn't get poofed.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 Tique said:
On 5/18/2014 just bee said:

There was a great thread here not long ago where we were able to vent and post all the examples. Everyone's blood pressure came down and we were as one.

Then it got poofed.

I was thinking about that thread which contained some excellent information. There were some explanations about usage of words that people frequently misuse like starting a sentence with Myself.

I hope this thread doesn't get poofed.

Five, four, three, two...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

One of my least favorites is supposably.

Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 lolakimono said:

One of my least favorites is supposably.

One of mine is: Could you borrow me some money? Well I could but then I would owe the person from whom I borrowed it. Not you.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Super Contributor

On some TV show, last week, I heard one talking head invite viewers to send him "antidotes" (he meant anecdotes). The other talking head next to him just nodded like it made perfect sense to him to be sent a bunch of activated charcoal.

Trusted Contributor

On 5/18/2014 sharlee said:
On 5/18/2014 bonnielu said:

It would seem it does not matter anymore. And the year I retired we were told not to teach grammar and spelling. It was more important to teach thinking skills.

I'd like to meet one of those brilliant individuals who decided spelling and grammar aren't necessary and beat him about the head and shoulders! I'm sure these folks don't have any idea how hard they've made MY job!

I spend most of my time at work converting engineer-speak into something approaching lucid prose. Now, engineers, brilliant as many of them are, have never been renowned for their writing skills, but these days they've gotten appreciably worse. One of our younger engineers questioned the use of the word "forego" (which was being used in the sense of doing without something) saying it wasn't a word!

I hear repeatedly from so many sources - colleges, other businesses - how high school graduates need to be taught grammar and basic writing skills (wasting valuable college time and business time) because they're hopeless when they first arrive at school or their first job.

I have a similar job and love it although I'm often stunned by how poorly some people write. In most cases you still understand their meaning but many times it's totally incomprehensible.

Additional mistakes that are my pet peeves include misuse of "its" and "it's" as well as "affect" and "effect."

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

I forgot to mention that I was a math teacher but couldn't cut it. Schools today are a mess! And I know my own spelling and grammar are not always perfect. I use several Web sites and dictionaries as resources!

KJPA
Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 Tique said:

One of my least favorites is <em>supposably</em>.

One of mine is: Could you borrow me some money? Well I could but then I would owe the person from whom I borrowed it. Not you.

Is this error from a native Spanish speaker? I ask because borrow/lend are the same verb in Spanish. I have not heard a native English speaker make this mistake.

I do hear native speakers of English mix up iitch and scratch. ""I iitch my mosquito bite.""

Super Contributor

One of the funniest I ever saw was when someone wrote ""Your diluted if you think your smarter then me"".

Honored Contributor

On 5/18/2014 Tique said:

One of my least favorites is <em>supposably</em>.

Is this error from a native Spanish speaker? I ask because borrow/lend are the same verb in Spanish. I have not heard a native English speaker make this mistake.

I do hear native speakers of English mix up iitch and scratch. ""I iitch my mosquito bite.""

No. This was said to me by someone who grew up in Chicago and only speaks English. I have also heard people use borrowed instead of loaned on tv court shows. ""I borrowed him $300 so he could pay his rent.""