Super Contributor
On 1/30/2015 javamt said: Stress. Oh how you used to control me. I believe this past year it got quite overwhelming(big family, stressful job and health issues) and I just shut it down. I read something online about how stress can only control you if you let it. So I decided not to let it. I do exercise regularly, I hang out with positive people, every night I think about all the great things that happened that day(vs. the worry I used to go to bed with) I think everyone has their "zen" place and the best part of life is when you find it.

ITA: Starting a gratitude journal was an awesome thing for me. It made me think of all the positive things that happened that day instead of all the negative. Before long I was a "glass half full" person instead of a glass half empty person.

Super Contributor
On 1/29/2015 QVCfan1121 said:

Great topic and good timing.

I am just plain tired. Turned 60 this month and feel the last 10 years of job loss, taking care of sick parents, their deaths, sister dying of cancer, empty nest, having to start over at a new job at 55, has taken it's toll and I can't seem to bounce back. My resilience is gone and not sure how to fix it. People are generally on my nerves as I have lost the perpetual faith I used to have. I can no longer call myself a "people person". I do try to lower my expectations, but without expectations where are we really? Expectations are the acceptable ways to be treated or the unacceptable. I seem to have not much gray area there. People at my job are toxic and an environment that I am just not accustomed to.

Trying not to complain, just explain and feel out if anyone else has had their resilience compromised and what do you do about it.

Again, great thread and thanks. Some good ideas and inspiration here.

2013 and 2014 were emotionally and financially tough for me and my family. I landed in the hospital 4 times over 2 years and had 3 surgeries, my sister suffered a near fatal heart attack, , hubby lost his job and was unemployed for 11 months in 2014, etc.

All I can say is that Faith, Family, and exercise held us together. I was actually rather disappointed in most of my friends during that time. I didn't see most of them and they didn't call on me. Only 2 really stepped up and showed they cared.

1) So, I started to cut the useless, fair weather friends out. 2) I started to exercise when I could to relieve stress and got my strength back,too. 3) I started a gratitude journal to focus each night on the good stuff I have instead of the negative goings on about me. 4) I have a closer walk with God now that I cultivated with prayer and belief it would all work out and finally 5) I worked on strengthening my relationship with my husband so the stress wouldn't destroy us both, too.

Super Contributor

To all the posters on this thread:

You are all amazing and I so appreciate each of your posts! Thank you for sharing--I hope it is as helpful and inspiring to each of you as it is for me. Blessings to all of you!

Respected Contributor

My vise is humor. I can manage to find something humorous in most situations. Be it cracking a sarcastic joke about said situation, (my family all knows I'm kidding) or making a joke about myself. It keeps me moving on in some difficult situations. It's the way I cope.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Super Contributor
On 1/30/2015 Mistic said:

My vise is humor. I can manage to find something humorous in most situations. Be it cracking a sarcastic joke about said situation, (my family all knows I'm kidding) or making a joke about myself. It keeps me moving on in some difficult situations. It's the way I cope.

Humor is indeed a great coping mechanism! It certainly has helped me out during many difficult life moments. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed this thread. It's nice to be able to learn from others. Thank you OP.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Super Contributor
On 1/30/2015 Mistic said:

I enjoyed this thread. It's nice to be able to learn from others. Thank you OP.

You're so welcome! :-)
Esteemed Contributor

AnotherView -- I love your story -- not your pain and hardships, but your story. How wise you are because you pressed on and didn't become bitter! What a great self-help article you could write about this subject.

I read today -- When we wake up, we have one tough decision to make for the day -- Do we trust or do we worry?

I know, easier said than done, but I love sorting through the static and finding the gold nugget.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor
On 1/31/2015 ury said:

AnotherView -- I love your story -- not your pain and hardships, but your story. How wise you are because you pressed on and didn't become bitter! What a great self-help article you could write about this subject.

I read today -- When we wake up, we have one tough decision to make for the day -- Do we trust or do we worry?

I know, easier said than done, but I love sorting through the static and finding the gold nugget.

This is so powerful: "Do we trust or do we worry." Thanks for sharing!
Contributor

LL64 and all the other ladies, Thank You for your posts! Lot of helpful and practical advice