Respected Contributor

Re: O/T ~ Sending Birthday Cards...

I send my three brothers b-day cards usually with some scratch tickets and they do the same for me. I also send my three nieces b-day cards with a little cash, usually about $10. I have cut way back on Christmas cards and have noticed that others are doing this also. I don't ever do these occasions by e-mail. I like to add a personal touch with a little note on the card.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/5/2014 sidsmom said:
On 8/5/2014 Hayfield said:

I still send birthday cards to very close friends but others I will post a "Happy Birthday" on Facebook. I do still send Christmas cards, I enjoy sending them. I sometimes do a family photo, when I can get all four of us together. It doesn't matter to me if I get a card from someone, I'll still send them one. I do text "Happy Birthday" to my nephews and niece instead of sending them a card, it's what their generation likes, so it's what I do. Whatever I do I do because I want to, it makes me feel good.

THANK YOU! All the moaning/groaning of reciprocating YOUR actions is selfish. You should be doing these things because they make YOU feel good...regardless if you get anything back. I don't have the type of friends that "keep score" like that...it's too toxic. Ick.

I stopped not because I was keeping score but it was like an echo in an empty room.

I thought I was honoring their wishes when I no longer sent a card to acknowledge their day. To me it seemed like they didn't want me to bother so why intrude?

Super Contributor

On 8/5/2014 Snowpuppy said:
On 8/5/2014 sidsmom said:
On 8/5/2014 Hayfield said:

I still send birthday cards to very close friends but others I will post a "Happy Birthday" on Facebook. I do still send Christmas cards, I enjoy sending them. I sometimes do a family photo, when I can get all four of us together. It doesn't matter to me if I get a card from someone, I'll still send them one. I do text "Happy Birthday" to my nephews and niece instead of sending them a card, it's what their generation likes, so it's what I do. Whatever I do I do because I want to, it makes me feel good.

THANK YOU! All the moaning/groaning of reciprocating YOUR actions is selfish. You should be doing these things because they make YOU feel good...regardless if you get anything back. I don't have the type of friends that "keep score" like that...it's too toxic. Ick.

I stopped not because I was keeping score but it was like an echo in an empty room.

I thought I was honoring their wishes when I no longer sent a card to acknowledge their day. To me it seemed like they didn't want me to bother so why intrude?

I agree - I don't "keep score" either. I choose to send cards because it makes me feel good to commemorate occasions the old fashioned way. I never "expect" reciprocation, although it would certainly be appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

First of all I won't send one to people who don't send it to me. I only send a card through the mail to my family members and friends that do the same for me. The friends who send me birthday wishes through email or phone I do the same back to them.

Super Contributor

I make them (gorgeous, if I do say so myself) and send them. The USPS has recently raised the price to mail my cards from 80¢ to $2.32!!, so that's really got me chapped! My friends all love the cards, tell me they save every one, and they also send me a [purchased] card on my b'day.

Lola
Respected Contributor

Yes I send birthday cards also send thinking of you cards, get well cards, sympathy cards, Easter. Thanksgiving, Christmas and anniversary cards. I also write in every card I send out to people. I buy stamps on rolls of 100. Right now on my kitchen table I have 5 cards ready to be mailed. I like to send cards and no I don't remember everyone birthday but I try. I am really the only card sender in our family, and I always make sure that I have plenty of cards here for every occasion. I've done this my whole life so I guess I enjoy doing it and I don't wait for someone to tell me thank you for a card I sent.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy sending cards. I enjoy receiving them. I don't expect reciprocity but I hope that I bring a little light to a person's day. It made me feel good to send it!

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I send birthday cards to certain people. This includes some I never hear from, but I think it's right to send them cards. I have maybe one or two I wait to see if they send a card for my birthday; if they do, they get one from me. If they don't - they get nuttin', honey. By the way, check out Sarah Jessica Parker's Hallmark line. The cards are lovely - really!

Super Contributor

I suppose some people prefer getting a card as opposed to a phone call or a Facebook message, but I'm not one of them. Cards are a nice thought, but I can't see spending upwards of $4 for something that ultimately goes right in the garbage. It would be nice to hang on to them but who has that kind of storage space for something I don't really have time to look at again? I do send Christmas cards because I enjoy getting and sending them, but I don't spend a lot on them.

Trusted Contributor

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the atrocious price of cards. I went to Wallyworld a few weeks ago and I spent more on birthday cards than I did my other stuff - $30 for 6 cards!! Even the 'cheap' cards aren't cheap anymore...

I buy cards for family members (and my husband and I have large families) and I send ecards and/or FB birthday wishes to my friends. After noticing how our 5 grandkids don't seem to pay attention to cards at all, I decided to stop buying birthday cards for them and instead just put a label with their names on it attached to their gifts.