Frequent Contributor

O T. Recs on french door fridge with icemaker. Pros vs cons

I had a brand new side by side in my new home. Had problems with it and had to be replaced under warranty. I debated getting same type but was assured wouldn't happen again. Our sales man said if I wanted an icemaker in a door I should get side by side rather than french door with icemaker. So I went with same model. Well having similar problems with this one. They say I can get any model I want now. Am leaning toward french door with icemaker even with the salesperson not to do this. My question is if any of you have a french door with icemaker would you buy again and have you had any difficulty with icemaker in door? Thank you
Honored Contributor

Re: O T. Recs on french door fridge with icemaker. Pros vs cons

All I can offer is that all my friends and family and myself have side by sides with ice on door, and have never had any issues.

Esteemed Contributor

I will not get a side by side again. I have had no problems but the freezer is not the shape nor size I need at times. Its very hard to arrange or fit some foods.

Super Contributor

I have french doors with the ice maker & filtered water on the door & have had no problems at all. I will say if you have little children, get one with a locked button. the one I have makes crushed ice also. Yes, I would purchase again.

Frequent Contributor

Kabella can you tell me what brand and how old it is?
Contributor

I had the same problem. The warranty company gave me a credit for the price of the refrigerator. I then bought a GE Cafe SS French Door Refrigerator which I love. The ice actually is in the door as opposed to the ice in the refrigerator itself, which caused a lot of problems.

Contributor

I recently bought all new appliances including a GE Profile French Door model refrigerator. I couldn't be happier. I replaced a Kenmore side by side. I hated the side by side, terrible use of space. My GE Profile has filtered water in the door, along with crushed ice and cubes. The freezer has an extra bin for storing more ice if needed. We are thrilled with it along with the GE Profile induction stove/oven and Microwave. Good luck with your new purchase.
Super Contributor

On 6/25/2014 periwinklerocket said: Kabella can you tell me what brand and how old it is?

Its the Kenmore Elite, stainless steel. Its 8 years old. that I purchased from Sears.

My stove top, wall ovens, microwave are all different brands. (much like my skin care & makeup, not all one line) But they are all stainless steel which is the only downside because they need to be polished more often but look the best in my kitchen.

Frequent Contributor

Recently I purchased a Kitchenaid french door model with ice in the door and will never go back to a side by side. There is so much more usable space both in the frig and freezer sections. After looking at all of the models, I liked the icemaker being in the door of this model and not taking up space in the frig. My old side by side was 17 years old, also Kitchenaid, and never had a problem, but I felt that I was living on borrowed time.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks