Respected Contributor

Re: O/T: Question for those of you with Weight Watchers experience

On 4/28/2014 MargieRJ said:

In theory a member could eat a tub of Cool Whip, a Whopper and drink a bottle of wine to fill their daily points value if they really wanted to.

OMG that is the diet plan I want! Smiley Very Happy
Contributor

I did WW and successfully lost but did not keep it off. The hardest part is the amount of points/calories you get to eat once you've reached your goal weight. It's hardly anything! The truth hurts, and this is that we don't need that much food each day.

I got tired of counting points, and just one extra bite of food puts you over your points limit and the weight slowly creeps back on. You really must get used to eating small portions and very small snacks.

My advice for WW since it does work is go to the meetings because that keeps you motivated and you feel like you are working toward a goal each week, even if it's one pound or not to gain anything. That is still considered success. Drink lots of water and soup will get your through days you use up your points. Also, even though I say we need to not eat much, once you do get down you can have cheat days but get right back to eating right. Your body won't gain unless you continue to eat poorly.

Respected Contributor

I lied weight watchers but I quit for I can not afford it for I am struggling. I found myfitnesspal.com to have a larger food database and it is free!

Super Contributor

On 4/28/2014 WenGirl42 said:
On 4/28/2014 MargieRJ said:

In theory a member could eat a tub of Cool Whip, a Whopper and drink a bottle of wine to fill their daily points value if they really wanted to.

OMG that is the diet plan I want! Smiley Very Happy

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Trusted Contributor

On 4/28/2014 becca914 said:

I did WW and successfully lost but did not keep it off. The hardest part is the amount of points/calories you get to eat once you've reached your goal weight. It's hardly anything! The truth hurts, and this is that we don't need that much food each day.

I got tired of counting points, and just one extra bite of food puts you over your points limit and the weight slowly creeps back on. You really must get used to eating small portions and very small snacks.

My advice for WW since it does work is go to the meetings because that keeps you motivated and you feel like you are working toward a goal each week, even if it's one pound or not to gain anything. That is still considered success. Drink lots of water and soup will get your through days you use up your points. Also, even though I say we need to not eat much, once you do get down you can have cheat days but get right back to eating right. Your body won't gain unless you continue to eat poorly.

I actually found the opposite. My daily Points Plus allowance went UP once I reached goal and went to maintenance. I am a volume eater but satisfy the volume with zero point veggies and fruits, saving my points for real indulgences, like Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Truffle Cream (on occasion). I tend to avoid processed carbs (bread, pasta, etc) but eat carbs in the form of potatoes, corn, brown rice. I should also add that a key component to WW or any weight loss plan is exercise and this can be as simple as walking. Hope you give it a try!
Trusted Contributor

One other point I should have made is that whatever plan you choose should be sustainable for you - something you feel you could do for a lifetime, since this really is about changing one's lifestyle.
Respected Contributor

I am presently doing Weight Watchers at Work. The meetings are key here because you fell very supported and so e of the best ideas and feedback comes for other members. The packaged foods can be worked into your points if you want, but they can be expensive and shouldn't constitute all your intake. That way, you never learn to truly make choices. That is really the downfall with the packaged food plans. Plus, the fact that you don't probably want to eat packaged, separate food from everyone forever. I can work into my plan having some candy at the movies, if I want and no one would even know I am on WW. I think WW really teaches you to listen to your body and to catch yourself when you think unproductive things. The other really great thing is the apps and online tools and recipes. You can eat easy gourmet every day of the week if you want. Plus it teaches you how to shop. I pull out my phone I. The grocery store, scan a barcode and it tells me how many points for a serving. Then I can decide if it's worth it or not. I have learned a lot about foods I once thought were healthy and found never good brands and products. It's actually fun to grocery shop.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Super Contributor

I did WW online about 4 years ago and made my goal weight. I went back on it again a couple more times because I'd gained a few pounds and felt I needed a refresher. I liked the online tracking and felt it kept me honest about what I was eating. You can eat whatever you want as long as you are tracking it and keeping the points in line. It has taught me good habits and I eat a variety of foods.

Honored Contributor

I am a WW Lifetimer. I joined in 1999.

The success of any plan is going to rely heavily on your ability and time to make your own food and cook meals. You will find very quickly that your calories don't go very far if you rely heavily on Subway, Wendy's and wanting to eat out at a sit down restaurant 1-2x per week.

If you can't cook or don't want to cook, you will find yourself seriously bored with plain grilled chicken breasts and frozen vegetables every day.

The key to success is to make food you look forward to eating every single meal. If you make stuff or bring food for lunch that isn't very good you will be tempted to toss it and get something more satisfying.

The other key to success is not burning out. You don't want to make a ton of changes all at once.

I think a very good place to start is with Tosca Reno's new book, The Start Here Diet. It is a step by step process to overhaul the way you eat and your activity, one small change at a time. All you are investing in is the price of the book and you can do it at your own pace.

For WW, the best thing about it is the accountability of going to a center to weigh in every week. For some people (like me), that accountability is key to sticking to the program.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I was on WW twice. It was years ago, after the birth of each of my children when I needed to lose the baby weight.

I loved it, lost weight easily, and didn't feel deprived. I ate the things I loved, and learned some great tips at the meetings. I had a wonderful leader - Her meetings were always packed. It really didn't seem like a "diet" at all, just a different way of looking at food and thinking about what I was eating rather than grabbing things randomly and not stopping to think if they were worth using up points for. (Sometimes they were worth it and sometimes not!)

The best thing about it IMO, is that it teaches you good habits. When I stopped following the plan, I continued to lose weight because I had learned a more healthy way to approach food while still enjoying the things I love. I thought I was eating whatever I wanted, but I really was just making better choices because I had become used to doing that. I recommend WW very highly. Kiss