Respected Contributor

Re: O/T: Question about grandchildren

Just from a younger persons perspective who doesn't have children: don't talk to them or worry about it until they tell you they are pregnant. Smiley Happy And when they do tell you that, you can ask them what they were thinking about having the kids call you, and go from there.
Respected Contributor

To answer your actual question (sorry!) it depends on how close you are to them, oftentimes. I would call them your stepson's children or your husband's grandchildren, unless you think they wouldn't mind you calling the kids your grandchildren. Best not to overstep your bounds on that, IMO. Smiley Happy HTH!
Respected Contributor

On 10/19/2014 bigsister said:

Yes, you are "grandma __________."

I never had children but I have two adult stepchildren who both have children who have children.

They all call me Grandma _________. So, yes, it is okay.

It is okay for YOUR family. But for some, it might not be. Best to ask or bring it up organically in convo.
Honored Contributor

I am a step mom with no children of my own, the grandkids call me grandma______(my name). We just were blessed with a great grand child and I am sure he will call me the same......there is no distinction between me and the 'real' grandma.

Esteemed Contributor

I think since you said you have a good reltionship with their wiives asking them or just bring it up when thaf time comes. Let them know you are asking for input. My guess with having a good relationship they wont reallh care what they call you. My niece and nephew were going to call the two different granpas something different. But they ended up calling them the same thing with their name afted pa pa.
Contributor

On 10/19/2014 turtle52 said:

Thanks for all your responses. My question really is not so much what they might call me but if I should consider them my grandchildren since they will be from my STEPsons.

If you are close to your step sons and their wives then you should absolutely consider their children as your grandchildren & treat them the same as you would treat grandchildren from your own children. I would be very hurt if my step parents treated my children any different from their ""real"" grandkids. I would let them lead the way on what the kids call you though.
Honored Contributor

I married my husband 34 years ago, he had never been married , or had any children. I had 3 daughters . MY daughters children are absolutely his grandchildren in their eyes and his.

I have a funny story. My husband is Japanese American. My family is Caucasian. When my 11 year old grandson had to do a genealogy report for school. He wrote the report and brought it to his Mom to read. He said in his report, he was part Japanese, because his grandpa was all Japanese.. I love that. Kids, they only know love.

Super Contributor

On 10/19/2014 shoekitty said:

I married my husband 34 years ago, he had never been married , or had any children. I had 3 daughters . MY daughters children are absolutely his grandchildren in their eyes and his.

I have a funny story. My husband is Japanese American. My family is Caucasian. When my 11 year old grandson had to do a genealogy report for school. He wrote the report and brought it to his Mom to read. He said in his report, he was part Japanese, because his grandpa was all Japanese.. I love that. Kids, they only know love.

now that is adorable

Honored Contributor

My mother very much considers her step grandchildren her grandchildren and loves them the same as her grandchildren. She has 10 altogether.

I guess I am not following what the concern is. Does it really make a difference if they consider you a grandmother, an aunt-like relative or just a friend of the family? It's how you feel about them and treat them that matters the most. If the grandchildrens' parents don't consider you a grandmother, then you can just be a very good, loving and kind friend to your stepgrandchildren.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

On 10/19/2014 turtle52 said:

Thanks for all your responses. My question really is not so much what they might call me but if I should consider them my grandchildren since they will be from my STEPsons.

I think you should consider them your grandchildren.