Occasional Contributor

Re: O/T OK Something Bothers Me, So I'll Bring It Up

I SO agree, ADOPT Don't SHOP!! Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die! I've fostered homeless dogs for years, adopting many senior dogs, placing those that were adoptable in good homes. There's no reason NOT to adopt a rescue, there are thousands of pure bred dogs in the rescue channels..Petfinder.com! Thanks for bringing this up! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

I agree -- give an animal in need a loving home. I adore my niece, but was so sad and disguested that she that she bought a pure bread ($$$) puppy several years ago. Sadly the pup died, but if she talks about getting a pet for her now 2 year old daughter, I'll make my feelings known. Every hear I "adopt" an endangered animal from World Wildlife Fund for my grand niece, hoping that it will help make her aware (at some point) that we need to care about our animal friends.

Trusted Contributor

I am not going to give my opinion on breeders, but I did want to point out that there are many breed-specific rescue organizations. A quick google search for "bichon rescue" brought me to one near me that had many, many adults and "young" dogs as well as two bichon puppies available. There are many bichon doggies across the country looking for permanent homes through rescue organizations. You don't need to go to your local animal shelter and pick whatever they have that day - you can still have a preferred breed and adopt a rescue animal. You can google e name of the breed followed by "rescue" and find just about anything you want. Maybe Dan did adopt from a rescue shelter?
Respected Contributor

Again, purebred pets dont equal dogs with papers or expensive. My parents had boxers and pitbulls and wanted a boxer. The best dog they ever had was a rescue, but ine of the worst was also a rescue. Hes the one that recently died. They had him since he was a puppy. He wanted to be by himself, would growl at my mom for no reason and tried to bite the vet techs. He was jealous of my mom. If she hugged my dad, he would growl at her. Theyve never had a dog that acted like this. He behaved more like.a cane corso (which i think a lot of pits are bred with or mistaken for). They loved him, but every year, his behavior got worse. When he died, my parents were heartbroken. They decided they wanted a boxer and after the crazy behavior of the last dog, they wanted to see the parents of the puppy and the litter mates. The dogs were healthy and the puppy has been a joy to them. Boxers are sweet goofballs. He loves everyone and will make you laugh at him wheather you want to or not. Smiley Happy.
Esteemed Contributor

You have to have a fenced yard to adopt from a rescue or shelter - at least, the ones I have had any dealings with. That automatically eliminates a lot of people getting a pet from a rescue organization.

They won't even let you foster a dog unless you have a fenced yard.

Honored Contributor

I think you make a very good and important point.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

nm

Super Contributor

That was Dan's personal emotional journey of a loss of their family dog and decision to adopt a new puppy of their choice. You should not hold QVC responsible or accountable for his decision. My opinion your post shows a lack of compassion and disrespect towards Dan's testimony. I sort of a backhanded dig or criticism. It's also your personal choice whether you adopt a pet from a shelter, pet store, private kennels or elsewher. My experience with a shelter was that some of those animals are high risk with health and emotional issues, and are picked over. Yes, my husband and I adopted our first 8 week old puppy from a shelter. He was so cute, black and white. I named him Lucky. Less than one week later the puppy turned sickly and was dying. Although, the shelter gave us green light the puppy was healthy, we found out that this puppy had heartworms while living in the shelter. They took the puppy back and returned our pet fees.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Linmo said:

We all love our pets - whether pure breed or mixed, rescued or not. Why isn't there the same advocacy about fostering or adopting children? I was reproductively challenged and had approached that subject with my husband, who wasn't receptive. We ended up to have 3 children through IVF, but I would still like to foster and/or adopt children who need a home.

Well there aren't babies to adopt anymore. They don't really have orphanages like they used to.....most kids available to adopt are older. There isn't a large stash of babies.

Super Contributor

I have a rescue Pom who is the love of my life. I adopted her when my little Maltipoo died, who I bought from a breeder and who was also the love of my life. Before I had these two, I had a Maltese whose owners could no longer keep her and she too was the love of my life.

When I adopt a pet, I am the mom and no matter where they came from, they will be loved and cared for as long as they live. My one great fear is that they might outlive me, which spurs me to make certain that I take good care of myself as well.