Trusted Contributor

Re: O/T Need a new washing machine....after 3 years..argghhhh, any recs?

A couple of years ago my friend had her old top loader serviced and mentioned to the repairman that she would like to upgrade to a new front loader. He recommended that she stay with the top loaders as almost all of his repairs were for new front loaders and they just don't last.

Contributor

Purchased the Maytag Bravos XL washer and dryer and they were delivered one week ago. So far, I love them.

Respected Contributor

On 4/13/2014 Eliana said:

A couple of years ago my friend had her old top loader serviced and mentioned to the repairman that she would like to upgrade to a new front loader. He recommended that she stay with the top loaders as almost all of his repairs were for new front loaders and they just don't last.

I second that!

Valued Contributor

I went through this same process in January. I had a Bosch front loader that was only 3 years old. I would never recommend a front loader to anyone. Someone on these threads recommended a Speed Queen. I went to the deluxe model of that. It is everything I wanted and then some. Yes, it was about 825.00 but worth it. It is an old style that has regular knobs and no push button stuff. It has a nice size stainless steel tub with an agitator. It has all of the cycles also. You can open the lid any time you like to throw extras in if you need to. You can fill it as little as you like or as much as you like and it really gets the water out of the laundry. I cannot say enough about this machine. It comes highly recommended by several laundry salesmen and very few repairs. Its like going back when a washer was a washer. I have washed quilts, coats, rugs, blankets, as well as hand knit sweaters, and other deliciates. I highly recommend this machine. It is all it says it is. There are three of us here also.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

We bought a new build home 4 years ago and it came with builder grade GE appliances - everything GE. The washer really gets a workout as we swim almost every day and then change our clothes plus wash suits and towels etc. I wash about 10 to 12 loads on Mondays plus wash suits and towels through the week every week. The timer is going home on my washer but DH found one online for $12 and he can install it easily when the time comes. The really good thing about your basic GE appliances is they are very simple to use and to repair. This washer does a marvelous job of getting the clothes clean and I would replace it with another GE in a flash. BTW - it is a top loader with an agitator.

Respected Contributor

Speed Queen is a reliable American-made washer. This what I got when my beloved Kenmore died after 20+ years. They use this brand at my hair salon and I figured it must be good if it could handle the constant towel washing there.

ETA: Top loader with agitator.

Honored Contributor

I have a Whirlpool duet front loader; I think it was one of the first front loaders introduced; never a problem with it or the dryer and would buy this brand again now....bought it at Lowes

DD bought LG front loader 2 yrs ago and has had nothing but problems with it; son has a GE that seems to be self-destructing after 5 yrs of little use....GE corporate and GE repairman told him that life expectancy is 10 yrs for all GE appliances now.....guess I will cross GE off my list!

Respected Contributor

Gone are the days when one say say a certain brand is good, because every brand has hits and misses.

Take the time to go to the library and look up the latest Consumer Reports for washers and dryers. It is worth doing for a major expense like this.

Esteemed Contributor

Do not buy one with a lot of automatic settings for different fabrics and clothing. A complete waste. Also I hate the automatic load sensors that decide how much water your load needs. I want to set my own water levels. I do like the Spin Only function if I need to wash a blanket or comforter that cannot go in the dryer and I want to get as much water out as possible. Another appliance that has been over engineered. I would never own a front loader. Why would I want to bend over to remove wet clothing from a machine I cannot see into? I have a top load without a agitator.
Occasional Contributor

I bought a Speedqueen top loader washer, and dryer. Basic machines but they do a really good job. No bells and whistles, i figured, keep it simple, that way, less to go wrong.I had heard thats what gets used in Laundromats, so they had to be sturdy machines,so far so good, couple of years old now, still great, very happy>