Respected Contributor

Re: O/T Myrtle Beach vs. Wrightsville Beach

On 6/19/2014 disneynut57 said:
On 6/19/2014 RedHeadedWench said:

I live an hour from Myrtle Beach, and I don't go there.

There has been a very large increase in crime lately, murders, theft, and an influx of gangs. I'm not joking.

They have also banned the use of tents or large canopies on the beaches, so if anyone is planning to bring one, leave it home.

Many of the activities that were going to be held in downtown MB, have been shelved due to limited funds from the city too.

Just thought you would like to know from a "local".

Have fun wherever you go!

RedHeaded Wench - is there alot of crime in North Myrtle Beach. I was looking at Kingston Plantation as well as SeaWatch. Thanks for your honesty.

I live in the Myrtle Beach area and there is a lot of crime but it is centered around Myrtle Beach itself (North and South are safe) Broadway is also crime ridden at night. This is a beautiful area for a fun vacation and lots and lots to do. The main thing to remember is to not go into the downtown area of Myrtle beach after dark, go during the day for the sights centered around there.

I would stay away from the area completely during Memorial Day.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Valued Contributor

You might consider Surfside Beach, which is south of Myrtle. Surfside has their own police department, and is family oriented. It's less congested with mainly homes and low rise condos. We have an oceanfront condo there, and really love what Surfside offers. We go as often as we can.
Frequent Contributor

YES I live in Charlotte NC.. Myrtle is the winner . Wrightsville more college town , very little to do !!!

Frequent Contributor

Google Ocean Isle Beach! We like the relaxed family atmosphere of that beach but if we want to go to a show, the amusements, or shopping, we head thirty minutes south to Myrtle. Calabash is between the two so we stop in for food first. It's PERFECT!
Honored Contributor

On 6/19/2014 oldcrowfarm said: I live in Wilmington and can tell you that these two are worlds apart. Myrtle Beach is much larger and has lots of tourist kind of places. Wrightsville is way smaller, and more upscale.It is more family oriented,but also kind of snobbish.It is more for families who have been there for generations kind of feeling.You don't have the amusement rides, or shows that Myrtle has.To me, these two beaches could not be further apart in appeal.If you have children traveling with you, they would like Myrtle best.If you are looking for a relaxing trip,I would think Wrightsville is best. Either way, they are so close, you could take a day trip to the one that you don'tchoose. Hope this helps, anyway , have a great trip.

Hi and sorry to go OT - we are considering retiring in Wilmington, we have not been down there yet, but have been to sales presentations for "resort living communitites" down there.

What can you tell me as a resident of the area

thank you

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Wilmington would be my pick hands down. I also like Topsail Island which is close to Wilmington.

Respected Contributor

On 6/20/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:
On 6/19/2014 oldcrowfarm said: I live in Wilmington and can tell you that these two are worlds apart. Myrtle Beach is much larger and has lots of tourist kind of places. Wrightsville is way smaller, and more upscale.It is more family oriented,but also kind of snobbish.It is more for families who have been there for generations kind of feeling.You don't have the amusement rides, or shows that Myrtle has.To me, these two beaches could not be further apart in appeal.If you have children traveling with you, they would like Myrtle best.If you are looking for a relaxing trip,I would think Wrightsville is best. Either way, they are so close, you could take a day trip to the one that you don'tchoose. Hope this helps, anyway , have a great trip.

Hi and sorry to go OT - we are considering retiring in Wilmington, we have not been down there yet, but have been to sales presentations for "resort living communitites" down there.

What can you tell me as a resident of the area

thank you

If you are going to retire anywhere in Coastal NC be prepared for a mandatory 3000.-+ (approx.) annual rain and wind/flood insurance if you carry any kind of a mortgage particularly. Hurricanes along this Atlantic coast are legendary. 1 week after we moved here from New England we encountered a 'baby' category 2 that was almost a direct hit. I hate hurricanes and the season is 6 months out of 12.!

Respected Contributor

Wrightsville is quieter than MB and more upscale, w/restaurant and rental prices to match. Lots of college kids surfing and the beaches are lovely. We prefer Oak Island or Topsail. The traffic on Topsail in the main drag is terrifying, however.

Super Contributor

I live in NC and our favorite places to vacation on the beach are Myrtle Beach and the Outer Banks. We didn't get to the beach last year and will definitely be going this year. We haven't been to Myrtle in a few years so I think that is where we are going.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/19/2014 disneynut57 said:
On 6/19/2014 RedHeadedWench said:

I live an hour from Myrtle Beach, and I don't go there.

There has been a very large increase in crime lately, murders, theft, and an influx of gangs. I'm not joking.

They have also banned the use of tents or large canopies on the beaches, so if anyone is planning to bring one, leave it home.

Many of the activities that were going to be held in downtown MB, have been shelved due to limited funds from the city too.

Just thought you would like to know from a "local".

Have fun wherever you go!

RedHeaded Wench - is there alot of crime in North Myrtle Beach. I was looking at Kingston Plantation as well as SeaWatch. Thanks for your honesty.

North Myrtle Beach is terrible, Over Memorial Day weekend, they had the annual AA Biker Weekend, and there were 8 shootings and 2 people were murdered. Robberies by the dozens. It is better now that it is over, but there is still an enormous amount of crime in that area.

Myrtle Beach seems to have a lot of robberies and car break ins. A girl was just robbed on the street yesterday of her purse, and they threw her on the ground and she had to go to the ER.

If you are going to visit the area, I would go more south to Murrells Inlet, or Surfside Beach. They are both nicer areas, and have great beaches and restaurants. Historic Georgetown is just a small drive away.