Valued Contributor

O/T Myrtle Beach vs. Wrightsville Beach

Sorry not sure where to post but I am looking for travel advise.

We are considering vacationing at Myrtle Beach but now I am looking at Wrightsville Beach. Has anyone been to both and can compare? I have been to Myrtle.

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T Myrtle Beach vs. Wrightsville Beach

I have been to both, my kids always loved Myrtle for the putt putt and attractions, but North Myrtle is nicer and not "junky" like Myrtle. I like Wrightsville, its is more quiet (but not dead) and not commercial, every beach has its own feeling.

New Contributor

I live in Wilmington and can tell you that these two are worlds apart. Myrtle Beach is much larger and has lots of tourist kind of places. Wrightsville is way smaller, and more upscale.It is more family oriented,but also kind of snobbish.It is more for families who have been there for generations kind of feeling.You don't have the amusement rides, or shows that Myrtle has.To me, these two beaches could not be further apart in appeal.If you have children traveling with you, they would like Myrtle best.If you are looking for a relaxing trip,I would think Wrightsville is best. Either way, they are so close, you could take a day trip to the one that you don'tchoose. Hope this helps, anyway , have a great trip.
Frequent Contributor

It would depend on what you want. Myrtle Beach is VERY commercialized, they call it " the hillbilly Las Vegas "! Wrightsville Beach is commercialized but doesn't even come close to Myrtle Beach! I doubt anything does!
Trusted Contributor

I live an hour from Myrtle Beach, and I don't go there.

There has been a very large increase in crime lately, murders, theft, and an influx of gangs. I'm not joking.

They have also banned the use of tents or large canopies on the beaches, so if anyone is planning to bring one, leave it home.

Many of the activities that were going to be held in downtown MB, have been shelved due to limited funds from the city too.

Just thought you would like to know from a "local".

Have fun wherever you go!

Honored Contributor

We always vacationed every year at Nags Head North Carolina. I haven't been there for a few years, but I've been told it is still as wonderful and family oriented as ever.

I think teenagers might get bored but families love it, as we did since my now almost 34 year old daughter was born.

Valued Contributor

On 6/19/2014 RedHeadedWench said:

I live an hour from Myrtle Beach, and I don't go there.

There has been a very large increase in crime lately, murders, theft, and an influx of gangs. I'm not joking.

They have also banned the use of tents or large canopies on the beaches, so if anyone is planning to bring one, leave it home.

Many of the activities that were going to be held in downtown MB, have been shelved due to limited funds from the city too.

Just thought you would like to know from a "local".

Have fun wherever you go!

RedHeaded Wench - is there alot of crime in North Myrtle Beach. I was looking at Kingston Plantation as well as SeaWatch. Thanks for your honesty.

Contributor

I live not too far from Wrightsville and it is great!! No comparison to Myrtle. If you want to shop you are near Mayfair with lots of stores or you could just go to the mall in Wilmington. Depends on what you want but if it is a quiet, calm vacation Wrightsville is the place.

Valued Contributor

On 6/19/2014 OR Nurse said:

I live not too far from Wrightsville and it is great!! No comparison to Myrtle. If you want to shop you are near Mayfair with lots of stores or you could just go to the mall in Wilmington. Depends on what you want but if it is a quiet, calm vacation Wrightsville is the place.

OR Nurse - is there as much golfing in Wrightsville? I will be travelling with a 17 and 16 year old. I know they would have fun in Myrtle but golfing is also important.

Honored Contributor

On 6/19/2014 OR Nurse said:

I know both very well. Myrtle is way too commercial, golf, chain restaurants, huge surf shops, tacky, etc. for me. Personally, I'd stay in Wrightsville and visit Myrtle, Wilmington, Pawleys Island, etc. as day trips on days when you've had too much sun. Have a great visit!
"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras