Valued Contributor

Re: O/T My QVC Serta Is Only 2 Months Old and Is Falling Apart!

On 10/4/2014 Q2girl said: Buy a Select Comfort next time. Their customer service is the best. I bought their bed from their store 12 years ago and it was the best investment I ever made in a bed. All my bedrooms have them now. Best thing for a bad back too and your you don't have to flip them.

I agree completely, Q2girl! Have had our Sleep Number/Select Comfort for about 14 years. (We bought after trying in a store; I would never buy a mattress from QVC or any other shopping channel.) It still looks/feels like the day we got it. (And annabelle, no turning or flipping required EVER!!)

About 2 years ago, the air pump was acting odd, so I called them. Not only did customer service pull up my info instantly, but they told me they were sending a new pump overnight and that they'd like me to ship back the old one within 30 days. Wow. New pump arrived overnight as promised. They provided the shipping box/paid return label for the old pump and had UPS pick it up so I didn't even have to do that myself. We paid a nominal amount ($15, I think) for the transaction because our pump was an old model and they were upgrading it. About a week later, a customer service rep called to make sure all was well and to ask if we had any other concerns. And remember, this is customer service for a product purchased about 14 years ago! Now THAT is what I call true customer service.

Valued Contributor

Annabelle-I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It sounds ridiculous and time consuming and well, ridiculous. Hoping someone will see this or perhaps you can get the attention of someone else at the Q.

We never thought in a million years that we'd buy a mattress from the Q, but we were in desperate need of a new one and lo and behold one morning back in March (I think??) they were selling a Serta TSV. We've been very happy with our purchase.

I'm sorry your experience was not the same. Hope it gets resolved for you soon.

Super Contributor

Our brand new serta did that that we purchased from Sam's. Only Sam's will come back within 90 days and pick it up for a full refund! We ended up getting a firm Simmon's beauty rest mattress pillowtop mattress from Sears. It has the firm coil that lasts for 10 years + but the top is soft enough for me, where most mattresses, even plush ones were too hard for my back, I weigh around 124. It was our best purchase ever after going to through like 5 mattresses! Sears has great sales too, we paid less than $1000 for our Simmon's cal king!

Respected Contributor

Do not blame QVC. They give you a 30 days period to return an item. After that it becomes the manufacturer's problem.

Your beef is with Serta not QVC.

Honored Contributor

I am very sorry you are having these problems from such a major purchase. This type of complaint is exactly why I don't even consider buying these types of merchandise from QVC. After years of reading the reviews and complaints, I am extremely wary of merchandise QVC buys in large quantities, because I firmly believe it is not first quality stuff. I believe the merchandise is second quality at best, and is no better than the re manufactured stuff I can buy at Big Lots. Over the years the customer complaints on QVC items like Dell, Kitchenaid, Keurig, and Duraflame are indicative of poor quality---not just bad luck in getting the one bad item in the batch. I know people who own Kitchenaid mixers and Keurigs they bought from other suppliers, and their appliances are holding up well, while QVC customers report issues with the products, and have had several replacements that are still problematic. Without a doubt, I do not trust the quality of this merchandise. Two years ago, I pushed for a mattress replacement from Serta on the 8 year old mattress on my daughters bed. The mattress was purchased from the furniture store where I have purchased practically everything for my home. I simply contacted the salesman, who verified my purchase and contacted Serta, and then I did everything I was instructed to do. My first step was to remove the tags from the mattress, make a photocopy of them, and take the copy to the salesman. The information on the tags tells the company exactly when and where the mattress was made, and they can determine whether that mattress was one of many that may be involved in a quality control issue. THe furniture store salesman faxed the information to the Serta salesman. Our next step was that our furniture salesman came to the house and took photos of the mattress which he emailed to the Serta salesman. Based on the photos and the age of the mattress, I received a discount on the replacement bedding I had already purchased. My daughter picked out her new bedding, the store delivered it, and once my Serta credit was applied, I made a trip to the store to pay my balance on the bedding. The entire process took 4 months, but my daughter had replacement bedding within 2 days after her selection; the store was the one who had to wait on their money until after Serta made their decision as to the pro-rated replacement value. Serta has a limited time full replacement on their mattresses; we were 8 years into a 10 year warranty, so we received a percentage, which came out to about 10% of the original purchase price of the bedding. Wishing you the very best with your replacement process. The tags on bedding contain vital information the manufacturer uses when they receive reports of a defect; therefore it is illegal for tags to be removed prior to the bedding being sold. As the consumer, you can remove the tags once the bedding is in your home, but you must remember they are the major link to filing a claim if the bedding does not hold up. No tags, no claim. I usually remove the tags, staple them to my bill of sale, and keep in my warranty file.
Esteemed Contributor

The "law tags" on bedding usually also contain the warranty code issued by the mfg.

Because bedding mfg's make so many models sold by various retailers it's hard for their CS to know exactly what the customer owns. Many times you'll see bedding advertised as "if you find this model at a cheaper price we'll give you this fabulous discount".

Truth is if you buy a such and such "model" at Macy's it's only available at Macy's. Same with the Q, etc.

Because I have very little to choose from here in the way of retailers, I did the research as far as coil count, construction, etc. I bought 1 Beautyrest in Queen from the other channel and was so happy with it I purchased another Beautyrest in King. Both are 3 & 4 years old respectively and still going strong.

The Queen was $1000 4 yrs ago and the King was $1250 3 yrs ago so not the low end configurations. Couldn't be happier !

Super Contributor

First of all, everyone seems to be assuming your mattress is broke or defective. How would you or anyone else know that? Unless I missed something all I saw in your post was that you heard a clicking sound after 2 months. Could be nothing more than a squeak, IDK.

As for flipping it, you don't have to turn it upside down, just turn it so that every couple weeks you are rotating corners for even wear and tear. I do that all the time and I have no problem with my bad back.

I have a Shark Navigator and recently had problems with it. They give you a 5 year warranty. I did not call QVC CS, I contacted Euro_pro, the mfg, and they called me back and walked me through an entire process to see if we could solve the problem. In the end the girl said she thought I needed new filters so she mailed me out 2 no charge. I got them in a week and so far I see good results.

You say you mailed in the warranty information? I would certainly think a sizable purchase like a mattress has their own warranty against defects. Instead of getting so aggravated please take the steps you need to do for resolution as they told you to., Whenever I have a problem with anything contact the company and they either send me parts, or a replacement on items that are pricey. Did you check out the warranty of the mattress?

Finally, I have seen patients who scream at doctors offices for bills when in fact they didn't read or understand their own policy limitations. Did you do the proper due diligence when you bought a mattress from television?

here is some information from QVC on Serta mattresses

After 30 Days from date of delivery, "Warranty Claim": Serta's goal is to provide you with the highest product quality and durability so you can enjoy your Serta mattress for years to come. This promise is backed by our Serta Quality Assurance Program. Because we strongly believe in the quality, design and craftsmanship of our products, Serta products are warranted against the manufacturing defects in workmanship and material as outlined in the warranty brochure that came with your mattress or mattress set. See our Warranty FAQs below for more details.

Serta mattresses are specifically designed so that they don't need to be flipped. For optimal performance, the mattress should be rotated regularly to even out normal wear. Simply rotate the top (head portion) to the bottom position once every two weeks for the first three months of use, and once every eight weeks thereafter.

What's the limited manufacturers' warranty?
A:
The warranty card is included with every bed sold. The limited manufacturer's warranty is a product warranty, not a "comfort" warranty. It warrants against manufacturing defects in workmanship and material ONLY (excluding the cover), and can become void if the unit is soiled or not cared for properly. Be sure to keep the law tag on at the end of the mattress. The tag has important manufacturing information about your mattress that you'll need in the event of a warranty claim.

Please contact Serta's Customer Service team for warranty service at 888-55-SERTA Monday thru Friday between the hours of 9am-5pm ET.

Instead of complaining to the public, seems to me all the information you need is in their FAQ's. As I suspected, it is not flipping, but rotating. If you don't comply with keeping the tags on and showing them the picture then you have no reason to complain. Those tags provide them with information on each mattress.

Esteemed Contributor

OP, I am very sorry with the issues that you are having with your Serta Mattress. I do believe that you should be dealing with Serta Directly and not Q, since it's past the 30 day return period. It's a pain in the neck, but deal with them calmly and be straightforward and I am sure that you will have this matter taken care of promptly.

I do have to state that I purchased a Queen size Serta Mattress from QVC 2 1/2 years ago and I have had no problems. I have been very pleased with my purchase. I even considered picking up the latest TSV for my guest bedroom but with Christmas so close I decided to wait until the new year.

Super Contributor

On 10/5/2014 MeAgain said: Believe OP received a defect so rotation is irrelevant but do Q presentations disclose the rotation requirements?

all of that information is written on the website for anyone to read. I think if you are going to buy a mattress site unseen from tv, you should do all your homework reading about it and if you don't have a computer, ask CS all the same questions you would if you were talking to a salesperson in the store. Since the OP posts here she obviously has a computer so she would have seen all this before making her purchase. It is not as if QVC or Serta hides things so they can "get you" later.

And it does have a warranty, she just needs to go through the proper steps before taking this to the Attorney General, who will do nothing but send out a form for a complaint to be mailed in. It's not like that office has time to start calling companies on a consumer's behalf to try and get things resolved. Her words stating she just wants it out of her house sound to me that she has buyers remorse and wants a quick fix rather than taking the time to get this resolved properly. If it turns out to be something minor that can easily be fixed, why should they take back a 2 month old mattress and refund her money since they cannot resell it.

Contributor

Bottom line is that Annabelle was physically unable to comply with the terms of the warranty. That's NOT Serta's problem. Can you imagine attempting to return a car with a burned out engine because you don't know how to change the oil or put gas into it?

This is an eye opening experience. Do your research, understand how much work something is going to be BEFORE you make your problem someone else's.