Frequent Contributor

Re: O/T My QVC Serta Is Only 2 Months Old and Is Falling Apart!

On 10/5/2014 sfnative said:
On 10/5/2014 Krimpette said:

I'm still not understanding how it could be "shame on QVC" when their 30-day policy is so clearly stated.

I honestly believes it boils down to the implied selling of junk Serta mattresses. It makes me wonder if perhaps, ans I say "perhaps," the Q is selling Serta "seconds." This is all conjecture.

Another thing that occurs to me is that a deal is made to sell a cheap look-a-like mattress. By that I mean looks like or similar to top end Serta.

It's illegal to sell seconds in the mattress biz. QVC would not be doing that.

Esteemed Contributor

I know it is illegal to sell used mattresses, but I don't think it is illegal to sell ones that do not make it up to Serta specifications.

(excuse my spelling,please)

Contributor

On 10/5/2014 sfnative said:
On 10/5/2014 Krimpette said:

I'm still not understanding how it could be "shame on QVC" when their 30-day policy is so clearly stated.

I honestly believes it boils down to the implied selling of junk Serta mattresses. It makes me wonder if perhaps, ans I say "perhaps," the Q is selling Serta "seconds." This is all conjecture.

Another thing that occurs to me is that a deal is made to sell a cheap look-a-like mattress. By that I mean looks like or similar to top end Serta.

the Serta mattresses that the Q sells are "derivative products", created specifically to specs outlined by QVC. Oreck does as well, and many Dooney bags are Q exclusives.

They are not seconds, but the spec package offered is not available at retail in brick and mortar stores. Its a common practice. Walmart and Best Buy's Black Friday leaders are usually derivatives. You have to know your specs. Smiley Happy

Contributor

On 10/5/2014 kal said:

Can you just take photos with your phone? I would do that and email them to the company. Or post on their facebook page. Often posting on their FB page will get a company to respond to you and attempt to fix the problem (replace the faulty product, for example.)

Will everyone please STOP. THE OP NULLIFIED THE WARRANTY by failing to comply with the guidelines for care that were supplied with her product. Serta has NO responsibility here, it's all on the OP for not making an appropriate choice for her physical limitations, or baking a neighbor kid a plate of cookies (or slipping him a few bucks) to turn her mattress as indicated.

My mother was still flipping her mattress at age 92. We were all taught to turn our mattresses and she did it monthly until she went into a care facility, where she made them turn hers.

Super Contributor

I just reread her post. She said she did unbelievable research before buying the mattress in her opening rant, yet then came back and said she didn't know about turning the mattress. She was responding at first as long as she was getting sympathy and people siding with her, then once the posts changed to statements that she has responsibility in all this, she disappeared.

I still don't understand why someone would choose a public place like a shopping channel board to rant like this unless they want to use other posters sympathies to "show" QVC how much support they got. There is a right way and WRONG way to resolve issues intelligently and ranting about one's poorly thought out purchases isn't the right way.

Esteemed Contributor

I am really dumb Smiley Sad I didn't know that Rowdymom no wonder the Oreck I bought yrs ago from the Q was for bare floors only , they never stated that and I had a he** of a time using it for years until I finally bought my Dyson....lol....... then someone told me about the bare floor thing ,with the Oreck....lol

Over the years,I have read so many complaints here for big ticket items that now I know never to buy them here, because if you have trouble ,you are on your own to fix them!

Super Contributor

Like others have already said, this is a problem between the OP and Serta. Why should QVC pick up the mattress and replace it with another?

As for turning the mattress, the OP frequently talks about making purchases for a daughter that lives by and her grandchildren. Surely she or her husband could have helped.

Valued Contributor

On 10/5/2014 RedTop said: I am very sorry you are having these problems from such a major purchase. This type of complaint is exactly why I don't even consider buying these types of merchandise from QVC. After years of reading the reviews and complaints, I am extremely wary of merchandise QVC buys in large quantities, because I firmly believe it is not first quality stuff. I believe the merchandise is second quality at best, and is no better than the re manufactured stuff I can buy at Big Lots. Over the years the customer complaints on QVC items like Dell, Kitchenaid, Keurig, and Duraflame are indicative of poor quality---not just bad luck in getting the one bad item in the batch. I know people who own Kitchenaid mixers and Keurigs they bought from other suppliers, and their appliances are holding up well, while QVC customers report issues with the products, and have had several replacements that are still problematic. Without a doubt, I do not trust the quality of this merchandise. Two years ago, I pushed for a mattress replacement from Serta on the 8 year old mattress on my daughters bed. The mattress was purchased from the furniture store where I have purchased practically everything for my home. I simply contacted the salesman, who verified my purchase and contacted Serta, and then I did everything I was instructed to do. My first step was to remove the tags from the mattress, make a photocopy of them, and take the copy to the salesman. The information on the tags tells the company exactly when and where the mattress was made, and they can determine whether that mattress was one of many that may be involved in a quality control issue. THe furniture store salesman faxed the information to the Serta salesman. Our next step was that our furniture salesman came to the house and took photos of the mattress which he emailed to the Serta salesman. Based on the photos and the age of the mattress, I received a discount on the replacement bedding I had already purchased. My daughter picked out her new bedding, the store delivered it, and once my Serta credit was applied, I made a trip to the store to pay my balance on the bedding. The entire process took 4 months, but my daughter had replacement bedding within 2 days after her selection; the store was the one who had to wait on their money until after Serta made their decision as to the pro-rated replacement value. Serta has a limited time full replacement on their mattresses; we were 8 years into a 10 year warranty, so we received a percentage, which came out to about 10% of the original purchase price of the bedding. Wishing you the very best with your replacement process. The tags on bedding contain vital information the manufacturer uses when they receive reports of a defect; therefore it is illegal for tags to be removed prior to the bedding being sold. As the consumer, you can remove the tags once the bedding is in your home, but you must remember they are the major link to filing a claim if the bedding does not hold up. No tags, no claim. I usually remove the tags, staple them to my bill of sale, and keep in my warranty file.

PARAGRAPHS ARE YOUR FRIEND.

Esteemed Contributor

I was told to rotate my Serta every 3 months, and the box springs every 6 months. Our news stations offer a team that solves problems like these for consumers. If it were me I'd submit this for consideration. Two months is ridiculous.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/5/2014 Margo Channing said:
On 10/5/2014 RedTop said: I am very sorry you are having these problems from such a major purchase. This type of complaint is exactly why I don't even consider buying these types of merchandise from QVC. After years of reading the reviews and complaints, I am extremely wary of merchandise QVC buys in large quantities, because I firmly believe it is not first quality stuff. I believe the merchandise is second quality at best, and is no better than the re manufactured stuff I can buy at Big Lots. Over the years the customer complaints on QVC items like Dell, Kitchenaid, Keurig, and Duraflame are indicative of poor quality---not just bad luck in getting the one bad item in the batch. I know people who own Kitchenaid mixers and Keurigs they bought from other suppliers, and their appliances are holding up well, while QVC customers report issues with the products, and have had several replacements that are still problematic. Without a doubt, I do not trust the quality of this merchandise. Two years ago, I pushed for a mattress replacement from Serta on the 8 year old mattress on my daughters bed. The mattress was purchased from the furniture store where I have purchased practically everything for my home. I simply contacted the salesman, who verified my purchase and contacted Serta, and then I did everything I was instructed to do. My first step was to remove the tags from the mattress, make a photocopy of them, and take the copy to the salesman. The information on the tags tells the company exactly when and where the mattress was made, and they can determine whether that mattress was one of many that may be involved in a quality control issue. THe furniture store salesman faxed the information to the Serta salesman. Our next step was that our furniture salesman came to the house and took photos of the mattress which he emailed to the Serta salesman. Based on the photos and the age of the mattress, I received a discount on the replacement bedding I had already purchased. My daughter picked out her new bedding, the store delivered it, and once my Serta credit was applied, I made a trip to the store to pay my balance on the bedding. The entire process took 4 months, but my daughter had replacement bedding within 2 days after her selection; the store was the one who had to wait on their money until after Serta made their decision as to the pro-rated replacement value. Serta has a limited time full replacement on their mattresses; we were 8 years into a 10 year warranty, so we received a percentage, which came out to about 10% of the original purchase price of the bedding. Wishing you the very best with your replacement process. The tags on bedding contain vital information the manufacturer uses when they receive reports of a defect; therefore it is illegal for tags to be removed prior to the bedding being sold. As the consumer, you can remove the tags once the bedding is in your home, but you must remember they are the major link to filing a claim if the bedding does not hold up. No tags, no claim. I usually remove the tags, staple them to my bill of sale, and keep in my warranty file.

PARAGRAPHS ARE YOUR FRIEND.

....Except on an iPad you can't make paragraphs. Sad but true.
Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY