Valued Contributor

Re: O/T: Moving from MA to Houston, TX

MammaPooh - if you go with the right attitude, you will LOVE Texas! I'm originally from PA and lived in the Houston area for a year in 2013 and then my boyfriend and I had to head over to live in San Antonio for his job.

The people in Texas are very friendly, a very laid back atmosphere/life. I was living in Katy and it is a really nice area and I suggest you research it. Great apt. complexes there and the school district has a great reputation, according to my friends, who have two sons that are now in high school. Cinco Ranch is very highly rated in Katy and the area has beautiful homes and a bit pricey compared to the rest of Katy, If you think the Cinco Ranch area is too high, look at the homes in the newer sub-divisions. I'm not sure where in Houston your husband will work, so hopefully Katy would be an option. It will be a bit of a drive, depending where he works in the city, but well worth it.

I also love hot weather and will take it any day over cold and snow! And lots of great shopping and restaurants too.

Once you get settled in Houston, come on over to San Antonio - great people there and love the Riverwalk. I never get tired of going there!

Best of luck with your move and new life - you will not be sorry!!

Honored Contributor

My SIL and family moved there 25 years ago and never left. They love it. We have visited them several times and really enjoyed it. He is a Doctor and graduated from a Philadelphia medical school. He was offered a very attractive position and is so glad he moved to Houston.

The people are friendly. We tried so many good places to eat. We looked on line before we went but also went exploring on our own. We had a fun time while we were there. Would definitely go back. They live in Kingwood. It is it's own city. Lots of shops and then the houses are after the shops.

Enjoy your adventure

Frequent Contributor

I had friends who moved from Milwaukee, WI to Houston, TX. They hated everything about Texas. Could not wait to get out of there when they retired. In fact they retired a little early to get out of Texas.

That was several years ago. Texas is even worse now than it was then. Find ways to make the most of it. Can't change much when it's a job re-location.

My niece liked Texas (forget where she was, not Houston). The friends I just mentioned met a couple when they moved back to Wisconsin who had moved there from Houston and they hated the Milwaukee area. Could not wait to leave and eventually he got transfered back to Houston. Each to his own I guess.......

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/19/2015 chisos said: I'm about 70 miles from Houston and our temperature will be 71 tomorrow. It is hot about 7 months of the year but I love it. Austin and the Texas Hill Country are a must see. Big Bend National Park is an amazing experience. The politics and people are wonderfully conservative. Texans are friendly, good people with an independence like nowhere else. We are first and foremost Texans and are proud protectors of the Lone Star State. We don't ride horses and many of us do not wear cowboy boots but we are not fans of liberalism. We are members of the NRA and most of us have an arsenal of guns and ammunition in our homes. If this country ever needs to be defended it will probably be Texans who will have to do it. Enjoy Houston!!

Good grief! Obviously you do not work for the Chamber of Commerce.

Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2015 chisos said: I'm about 70 miles from Houston and our temperature will be 71 tomorrow. It is hot about 7 months of the year but I love it. Austin and the Texas Hill Country are a must see. Big Bend National Park is an amazing experience. The politics and people are wonderfully conservative. Texans are friendly, good people with an independence like nowhere else. We are first and foremost Texans and are proud protectors of the Lone Star State. We don't ride horses and many of us do not wear cowboy boots but we are not fans of liberalism. We are members of the NRA and most of us have an arsenal of guns and ammunition in our homes. If this country ever needs to be defended it will probably be Texans who will have to do it. Enjoy Houston!!
I don't find a single thing mentioned here to be a positive or accurate including the temperature. I don't want 71 in January. I've seen the Southwest and most of it make Big Bend look sick...you'd only be impressed if you'd been nowhere else. When I lived there I owned several horses and observed most businessmen wearing boots. My male co-workers wore them. It's sad that people feel it necessary to keep an arsenal in their homes. People like you are one reason I'm glad I left.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/19/2015 Kachina624 said:
I don't find a single thing mentioned here to be a positive or accurate including the temperature. I don't want 71 in January. I've seen the Southwest and most of it make Big Bend look sick...you'd only be impressed if you'd been nowhere else. When I lived there I owned several horses and observed most businessmen wearing boots. My male co-workers wore them. It's sad that people feel it necessary to keep an arsenal in their homes. People like you are one reason I'm glad I left.
I live in IN and we have an arsenal of hunting weopons. It doesnt make us bad just because you dont understand. To the op good luck on the move.
Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2015 maestra said:

Worst weather in the US, a cultural wasteland. Great hospitals though.

Honestly, this cracked me up... I wouldn't and couldn't argue it, but it cracked me up...

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

All I've really seen mentioned is the endless summer, which is SO not a selling point for me, and good restaurants... But I ask you, what major city doesn't have some good restaurants...? No offense to those who love Houston, (or certainly to Texas at large) but this would be near the very bottom of US cities to which I'd elect a move.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

On 1/19/2015 stevieb said:
On 1/19/2015 maestra said:

Worst weather in the US, a cultural wasteland. Great hospitals though.

Honestly, this cracked me up... I wouldn't and couldn't argue it, but it cracked me up...

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

All I've really seen mentioned is the endless summer, which is SO not a selling point for me, and good restaurants... But I ask you, what major city doesn't have some good restaurants...? No offense to those who love Houston, (or certainly to Texas at large) but this would be near the very bottom of US cities to which I'd elect a move.

If you think Houston has the worst weather in the U. S., you haven't visited or lived in Biloxi, MS. Now that's the worst!

Esteemed Contributor

If her husband is taking a job there, she needs to make it an adventure and enjoy what Houston or the surrounding area has to offer. Every place is different.

To the negative posters, glad we didn't know anyone who complained about the cities we moved to when we made our 8 transfers!!!! A move is what you make it!!

Super Contributor

Well, check the mayor of Houston and the former mayor San Antonio, and the mayor of Austin. Pretty liberal backgrounds. This gun toting stuff is overstated, IMO.