Super Contributor

Re: O/T: Moving from MA to Houston, TX

I have lived in Houston since 1979 when I was graduated from college. I was born in New Jersey and grew up in Indiana. I moved in August and could barely stand the heat and humidity. I have adjusted and love Houston! True it is flat and does not offer rolling hills like Austin and the hill country. However, there are many things to see and do. Shopping is amazing In the Galleria area and Highland Village. There are other regional malls that are quite good too including Memorial City. Additionally there is an excellent outlet mall in NW Houston! cCity Center is a great place too. The weather is beautiful in the spring, extremely hot in the summer. I had to adjust to the trees not changing colors before the leaves dropped and no snow at thanksgiving or Christmas. We have had some hard freezes for a couple of days. I will tell you that I have developed allergies over the years. Houston is also a city with great cultural diversity. But the majority of people are very friendly. Like every other place, we have crime. But you take precautions to protect yourself and personal property...just like every place else! Houston schools can be challenging but there still are some good ones, take a look at the texas education agency's website for ratings. The Katy schools are well received as are Fort Bend schools. There are apartments all over the city. My preference has always been to live in west Houston. There are many available. The newer they are, the smaller they are, but with nicer amenities. Let me know what other questions you have. Good luck!
Honored Contributor

1) terrible traffic, as others have said

2) poor air quality

Valued Contributor

brbfromTX again, to quote from Boyd's Bears: For best results in the Gardens & Life 1.Plant with HOPE. 2. Grow with LOVE. 3. Bloom with Joy. Bloom where you are planted!!!

May you and your family be blessed!

Regular Contributor

It will be very different from maine. Hideous summers, horrid traffic...u will spend all ur time in ur car. Schools r good around the suburbs...cypress fairbanks where i taught one year...sugarland...around the periphery but not towards the eastern, more industrialized areas. Couldnt make friends, my therapist said she couldnt either. The churches i went to were very unfriendly. Great shopping, medical care, stage and musical theater...it all depends what ur looking for. If ur a gardener, the soil and rain are adequate but if ur into relaxing and quiet, then it wont work.
Valued Contributor

First, congrats to your husband for finding a better job situation in the Houston area. We moved to Houston 20 years ago with three kids, one 4, for the same reason, from the mid Atlantic area. It took a lot of adjustment, but we have had a good life here. The weather stinks plain and simple, if you like the change of seasons and cold weather. Not everyone does. I do. But kids can play and do sports almost year, which is great. Everything is air conditioned, and utilities are a lot cheaper here. Housing is very cheap here compared to the northeast. Whatever house you had there, you will be able to buy up and it will be big and beautiful . However, in most places, lot size is small. Go figure, Texas is huge, but lot sizes are small. There is zero zoning, but subdivisions have restrictions to protect you. Regarding schools, it depends where you live. Each school district has a report card and rating, and you will want to find an exemplary or recognized. Some you will want to avoid, and a good buyers realtor will help. Your husband's commute will dictate where you will look for homes, it can be horrid, as there is little public transportation. We live in the northwest Harris county area near the Woodlands. It has seen tremendous growth in the past 10 years especially, like all of the Houston area. Houston is not particularly pretty, but it has thriving theater,restaurant scene,craft beer and shopping areas. Its many neighborhoods are varied, and been with the awful July and August temperatures, I think you can be happy here. Most people are friendly, and there are lots are clubs for women (bunco, garden clubs, newcomers) as well as zillions of churches if you are a spiritual person. When my husband retires, we will be heading north again, but I cannot say we regretted the move. Life throws you some curveballs now and again, and you have to take a swing and see what happens! Good luck. Sorry this is all one paragraph ; it won't save the formatting from my iPad!!!!
Contributor

Congratulations to you and your family for being so pro-active. You are correct; the employment opportunities are great, although the price of oil does affect us differently at work vs. at the pump.

Cost of living is low.

Culturally diverse, lots of fabulous ethnic food.

Medical facilities are world renowned, the museum district is worth visiting often.

Lot's of parks and Houston is becoming a bicycle 'friendly' town. Many paved bike paths to get a little exercise.

Shopping, high end to bargain hunting, Houston has it all.

It is the 4th largest city and the traffic is accordingly. I would live close to your work.

Houston is experiencing a major real estate boom and prices are 'high' - however it may have peaked and stabilized.

Like most people, we don't have a choice where we live, work also dictated our move to Houston, we are very happy here, but we always make an effort to look for the positive.

Happy Trails to you and your family.

Respected Contributor

On 1/19/2015 MammaPooh said: Thank you, lisa57, brbfromTX and ivey...I will remember all your words of wisdom. I think I will do more research. Actually, my husband is a Mechanical Engineer and for his profession, apparently Houston is the place to be. If for any reason it doesn't work out, he may move to CALIFORNIA before we join him. But CA is so much more expensive. I'm really hoping Houston works out.

It will work out! You appear to have a great attitude about the move. Don't let some of these Debbie Downers sway you. I was born and raised in Houston, and that town provided me with a great career. I moved out to a rural area after I retired, but still have friends and family there, who have no intentions of ever leaving because of all the conveniences of city life, along with tons of activities. In you research the suburban areas you will not have a problem with the schools. This is the case no matter what big city you move to, so that is no big deal. The bottom line is, if I needed to be employed with a good paying job, I'd be back in Houston tomorrow. Welcome to TEXAS!!!! I wouldn't consider living in any other state.

Honored Contributor

Expect extreme heat and humidity... and you'll need to experience it for a while before you decide it's 'good', because it really isn't... From Massachusetts to Houston huh... With no offense intended to anyone that happens to love Houston because we all have our own unique perspectives and points of view, but, well, my condolences...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2015 momcat said:
On 1/19/2015 MammaPooh said: Thank you, lisa57, brbfromTX and ivey...I will remember all your words of wisdom. I think I will do more research. Actually, my husband is a Mechanical Engineer and for his profession, apparently Houston is the place to be. If for any reason it doesn't work out, he may move to CALIFORNIA before we join him. But CA is so much more expensive. I'm really hoping Houston works out.

It will work out! You appear to have a great attitude about the move. Don't let some of these Debbie Downers sway you. I was born and raised in Houston, and that town provided me with a great career. I moved out to a rural area after I retired, but still have friends and family there, who have no intentions of ever leaving because of all the conveniences of city life, along with tons of activities. In you research the suburban areas you will not have a problem with the schools. This is the case no matter what big city you move to, so that is no big deal. The bottom line is, if I needed to be employed with a good paying job, I'd be back in Houston tomorrow. Welcome to TEXAS!!!! I wouldn't consider living in any other state.

ITA! No matter what anyone says, it's wonderful cuz it's....well...TEXAS! Just make it your own to fit in. Good luck with the move!

Respected Contributor

Houston is a large city and very spread out. It's in Harris County. If you can stay out of Harris County for living. The crime is bad and insurance is high.

If you work in south Houston, move to another county right outside of Harris County. If you work in north Houston, move to Montgomery County where the schools are the best in the state.

In other words, Houston itself is not good to live there. The cost of living is lower and there's a reason for that.

Living in the suburbs of Houston is much better. The oil and gas industry they claim is suffering because of low gasoline prices. They will be laying off 140,000 people in the oil and gas industry just in Texas alone within a month.

Good luck with your move.