Valued Contributor

Re: O/T: Moving from MA to Houston, TX

On 1/20/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 1/20/2015 CouponQueen said:
On 1/20/2015 reiki604 said: My only concern is that if you are not a Christian, your cultural and religious beliefs will not be as accepted in Tx as they are in Mass.

oh boy...I caught that..nothing wrong with any ethic/cultural or religious beliefs..but that is one state I don't see being accepting..sorry

You'll probably find more ethnic diversity in Houston than most cities in the US. It's climate is a draw for people who immigrated from countries with similar climates. This includes India, Southeast Asia, Cuba, Africa, and the Middle East. It was a major entry point for refugees from Vietnam and Cambodia after the war. There are whole shopping centers devoted to selling good for specific cultures. I remember a very large store that sold just saris. Yes, it's in the Bible Belt, but I never saw any prejudice toward people of other religions. Oil has always been king and is the basis for the economy but the Bush Family is easy to ignore.

By the way, The Woodlands is a master-built community that has housing in all price ranges. I've seen some very modest homes there.

I spent 34 1/2 years in Texas, most of it in Houston.

I have noticed this each time I go to Houston. The diversity reminds me of NYC!

Valued Contributor

Re: O/T: Moving from MA to Houston, TX

Conroe, the Woodlands, Sugarland and Manvel...all good areas. My DIL has taught in Sugarland and Manvel. She absolutely loves it! They live in Manvel and both are within 10 minute drive to their jobs. Because traffic is challenging, try to find an area with close commute for your husband...that is the way to go. GREAT MEDICAL care in Houston. Good luck with your move.