Respected Contributor

O/T ~ Monovision Help Please For Those That Wear These Contacts.....

This is my third day wearing monovision contacts.  My vision is still blurry in both eyes.  (I take them out and I can see so well).  

How long does it take for the blurriness to go away?  Any help is appreciated. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T ~ Monovision HelpIf I Please For Those That Wear These Contacts.....

If I remember correctly it took me a few weeks to get used to it.  I wore monovision lens for about 5 or 6 years

Then  I had monovision Lasik about 11 years ago. I  only need glasses to drive at night , to level out he monovision and dim the halos 

Honored Contributor

Re: O/T ~ Monovision Help Please For Those That Wear These Contacts.....

Monovision contacts are usually worn with the distance lens on the dominent eye and the close up lens on the other.

When you close one eye and open the other, you will probably always have blury vision somewhat.  You can't see distance with the close up lens and you can't see close up with the distance lens. When both eyes are open, you should see clearly.

If  your vision is blury with both eyes open, check to see if you are putting the correct lens in your eyes.  Also check to see if the lens is inside out.  It happens.

You can try to just get used to one lens at a time.  Can you see clearly with only one lens in your eye, if not, your lens is not correct.

Once I was given the incorrect prescription.  I tried to wear the lenses, but finally had to go back in for a check up because I was dangerously blind.  No wonder I couldn't see.

They do require a short adjustment period.  Best of luck.

Honored Contributor

I never had any blurriness at all. 

Are you sure they fit them correctly for your dominant eye? Sometimes they get that wrong & it makes it impossible to get used to them. 

Respected Contributor

Carmie, thank you for the suggestions, but I've checked everything and I'm not doing anything wrong. 

You are right with everything you said.  

Respected Contributor

For many years I had mono vision contacts, dominant eye for close, other for distance, then needed cataract surgery & decided on the same, the surgeon said he would do the same as that was the norm, it's wonderful, love it, I call it the miracle surgery

The first time driving, the street sign was blurry, but in seconds, the brain told the eyes what was going on & it became clear & no further problems or glasses.

My advice, go back to your eye doctor with your concerns

Respected Contributor

I was given monovision lenses 14 years ago.  It was a mistake by the Opthamology tech, but that was the result.  I was miserable.  Even stepping off a curb was difficult.  The tech told me to give it time.  I ended up in the ER and OR as a result of not seeing well.  Fortunately nothing life threatening, but I ended up with a sewing machine needle in several pieces in my finger.  When  I insisted that they change my lenses they wanted to charge me!  I said no way.  Change them!  

Not everybody can adapt to monovision.  Change them out if you're not comfortable.

Honored Contributor

I have been wearing monovision contacts for so long that I forget how long it took to get used to them. I do know that my vision isn't as sharp as when I wear my glasses, however it is

a slight difference, and for me worth a little extra effort. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I have worn monovision contacts for 15 years. One trick is to ask your eye doc to reduce the power of the NEAR eye just a little bit. By doing this there will be less difference in the two eye's vision and thus easier for your brain to accept this technique.

A lesser near Rx will reduce your near vision just a wee little bit. You many not be able to thread a needle for example.

Low lighting such as night driving or movies will be a problem. If you cannot tolerate this just plan on removing contacts for some situations. Don't forget to take your back up glasses jic

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

This is my third day wearing monovision contacts.  My vision is still blurry in both eyes.  (I take them out and I can see so well).  

How long does it take for the blurriness to go away?  Any help is appreciated. 

takes about a week to 10 days?  of wearing them

You need to go back and get the power adjusted it should not be blurry in both eyes.

As someone else said be sure you have the correct lenses in the R/L eye.  Mine is easy the labels are different colors