Super Contributor

Re: O/T How can a restaurant have the nerve to tell you how much to tip?

Don't need a calculator to figure the tip! Its not calculus! Double 10% of check, add more for superior service. To Improve Performance.

A restaurant allocates 20-25% of operating expenses to payroll. Food prep / kitchen is a straight wage; servers are the backbone but if servers were paid full wage there wouldn't be capital left for food, rent, utilities and supplies. And add to that servers being paid a straight hourly rate would have little incentive to give outstanding service. How many times have I gone into a deli or pizza joint and the employees are sitting around BS-ing.

Honored Contributor

On 4/1/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 4/1/2014 just bee said:

All night we were getting snide remarks from the server and she continued to question our order. We felt like we were paying the restaurant to treat us like "ugly Americans." Finally had to ask her directly what the issue was: <em>"Why the judgment here?"</em>

Made our point, paid the bill, tipped her, then said goodbye to a restaurant we've supported since it opened. We'll never go back.

So what did she answer?

I wouldn't let HER ruin the place for you. I would go back and just not sit her section.

She fumbled around, then came up with something: People don't understand what they're ordering and order too much. Clearly, we weren't having any issues there. We knew what we were ordering and we were eating it. If she thought we were going to be shocked at the check total, that wouldn't make any sense, either, since the sushi order sheet has prices on it. We can add.

Nope. Not going back.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

I haven't seen this in restaurants in our area yet, but I wouldn't be offended. I'd read it as a suggestion and a help in calculating -- not as "telling me what to tip". After all, I ultimately decide how much I want to tip or whether the service deserves any tip at all; I don't have to follow those suggestions. If it helps servers get fairly paid for good work, I think it's a positive thing. Too many customers don't realize (or care) that many restaurants pay their staff very low wages and that servers depend on tips to be fairly paid. A little guidance and a reminder might be a good thing.

Super Contributor

I'm not sure why you were offended? They didn't add on the gratuity like some restaurants do when there are 6 or more patrons, and even then they warn you of their billing practices on the menu. The "tip guide" was just that... because sadly some people just can't do basic math these days. You were dining in an upscale restaurant, for a special occasion as you mentioned, and you even said the service was very good and you planned on tipping your waiter well (I would assume 20%) so the tip guide shouldn't have been any issue. You said you had been there just 4 months prior for dinner, and perhaps they weren't using the tip guide then, or you didn't notice it on the bill. When I lived in a big city and dined out a lot, it was very common for restaurants to put a tip guide on the bottom of the tab. It's not a new practice and I don't personally see any reason to be offended by it.

Super Contributor

On 3/31/2014 Dusty1 said:

I don't like the tip being mentioned on the bill, either, & I think that is particularly tacky. A tip is supposed to be a "gift" for good service. Papa John's Pizza box says something about being sure to tip your driver for their extraordinary service & I think "It's a dude that drives to my house & drops a pizza off. It's nice, but it's not all that extraordinary.".

That "dude" has to make a living, and he pays to put the gas in his car to drive your pizza to your house, so I think a tip is always deserved when ordering a pizza for delivery. If it wasn't all that extraordinary you could get in your car, use your gas and drive to the restaurant to pick it up yourself, then no tip would be required.

Valued Contributor

This seems to be happening more. It only ""gets to me"" when the service is really poor. I guess that was the issue for me.

Contributor

I also think it's a good idea. Some people can't figure out what to tip. As a former waitress and bartender I think some people need help.

I am glad you realized it is not the server's fault and tipped anyway.

Super Contributor

On 4/1/2014 just bee said:

My mother raised us on her tips so I've always been a generous tipper. But I just had to take this opportunity to gripe about something else. Now that Better-half cooks, we do not frequent restaurants as often as we used to. But this was our anniversary and we have a tradition of going to our favorite sushi place each year (our first date 23 years ago was at a Japanese restaurant).

How would you like to be told how much you can order?

I admit, the two of us can consume a hefty amount of sushi, but we didn't just fall off the turnip truck. We know what we're ordering and we know we can put it away.

All night we were getting snide remarks from the server and she continued to question our order. We felt like we were paying the restaurant to treat us like "ugly Americans." Finally had to ask her directly what the issue was: "Why the judgment here?"

Made our point, paid the bill, tipped her, then said goodbye to a restaurant we've supported since it opened. We'll never go back.

Maybe lots of customers there do order too much, not eat it all, and then get sticker shock at the bill. Their complaint would be that no one said anything and they expect a server to offer advice, not just deliver what's ordered. Neither side is wrong, you just can't please all the people all the time.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the great responses.

Sounds like this is a pretty normal thing and I should just go with the flow.

Honored Contributor

In Europe, the service charge is added directly on to your bill at the end of the meal.

If this place resembled a Paris bistro, it sounds as if they were attempting to use a modified version of the European method of tipping.