Honored Contributor

Re: O/T How can a restaurant have the nerve to tell you how much to tip?

I never understand why people who get so upset about tipping eat out at all. It is what it is. We all know that it exists and what the rules are. If you don't want to pay a big tip, don't order a bunch of expensive food and drinks. Good grief. Either eat at McDonalds or get over it. I would love to have the restaurant figure tip rates for me.

Honored Contributor

How is it offensive? It's a suggestion. I don't mind seeing that at the bottom of the bill either.

Respected Contributor

Do you tip if you carry-out in a restaurant with waitstaff?

Super Contributor

I agree with many others here - it's nothing to get all bent out of shape about - it's just a suggestion. And I certainly wouldn't even think about not leaving a tip in these circumstances. It wasn't server who put it on the bill, it was the restaurant. The server still did his/her job and should be tipped accordingly.

Honored Contributor

On 4/1/2014 Sooner said:

I never understand why people who get so upset about tipping eat out at all. It is what it is. We all know that it exists and what the rules are. If you don't want to pay a big tip, don't order a bunch of expensive food and drinks. Good grief. Either eat at McDonalds or get over it. I would love to have the restaurant figure tip rates for me.

ITA

I tip too much at most places. Heck, I tip on carryout. The only place I don't tip is at a place like Starbucks.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

I don't like to be told what to tip, but these were suggestions. Sometimes they are needed, sometimes they are helpful. I'd think in an upscale restaurant, it's meant to be helpful, and is probably appreciated by a lot of diners.

I'll never forget a time when my sister and I were waitressing during a summer break in college. We were asked to come in extra early one day to serve breakfast to a bus load of Canadians. We got there at a ridiculously early hour and worked our tails off. Between us, they left about a dollar and a half for the whole bus load. It was horrible! No, it wasn't an upscale place, and it was a long time ago when breakfasts cost a little less than they do today. The Canadian's were known to be poor tippers, but that was an outrage.

Super Contributor

The OP led me to believe the restaurant automatically included a tip.

That fries my eggs....when you have a group of diners and the place AUTOMATICALLY adds an 18-20% or more "tip" to your bill, esp. when it's a cheap buffet.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/31/2014 babybecky said: I'm even a waitress and don't like seeing that on a check! I find it tacky almost like they're telling me what I am going to leave my server! Tipping is part of dining out and calculating isn't always necessary; if you've been happy with your service just be generous Smiley Happy
I think it is a good thing to help your customers leave a fair tip for good service.
Frequent Contributor

I am sorry..and I know I am in the minority but I don't agree with the whole tipping thing. I feel that waiters should be paid an hourly salary and we should completely get rid of the tip system. I always go to the Aveda Salon in my town where they have a strict no tipping policy. I have always been pleased with the quality of their service.

Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

I'll tell you what bugs me, when they ask you if you would like your change. Maybe they can't figure math, but when that change equals 33 1/3 of the bill or 50% of the bill and I planned on leaving 15% or 20%, it bugs me. Example, your check is 20.12 and you hand them a 10.00 bill and a 20.00 bill because that's all you have. The bill is 51.47 and all you have is 100.00 bill. I normally carry debit cards but at times I use cash for whatever reason. The examples above have happened. In a certain restaurant it was a pretty standard comment. We quit going, I think they were just trying to intimidate customers into better tips.

DH runs a construction crew. He handed a kid in his 20's a column of figures he'd just added and said check my math. The kid had to go get his phone, he said he had never been taught to add without a calculator. We are all doomed.