Super Contributor

Re: O/T How can a restaurant have the nerve to tell you how much to tip?

I have seen this too, I personally like it. I don't have to do the math and figure out what to leave.

Trusted Contributor

They can recommend any amount they want. But unless it is automatically added in as a service charge, we tip what we feel is appropriate.
Contributor

On 3/31/2014 lolakimono said:

Some people are unaware how much servers actually earn per hour. When I waitressed, I earned $2.13 an hour, so I definitely relied on tips. Servers are taxed based on the sales for the day, not on the amount of tips they actually receive. Depending on the establishment, they also can have to tip out to the bar and the busboys (based on their sales). (It used to be that servers had to declare 8% of their sales, but I don't know about now). So if you stiff your server, they are still paying taxes based on how much your bill was. That's why you should always tip on the original amount of the bill (never on the price after coupons/promotions) so that you can help them earn a decent hourly wage. Ditto if you add on a take out order/dessert to your bill.

You mean I should be leaving a tip on the portion that is take out? Very often my husband and I end up bringing home a meal for one of our sons when we go out to dinner. I consider myself a good tipper -typically 20% or more. But let's say dinner served at the table comes to $100 (before taxes or promotions). I would generally tip $20. But say then I ask the waiter to bring a hamburger and fries ($20) to go when we're leaving. So now I should be tipping 20% on the $120? If I go to pick up a pizza, I don't tip 20%. I didn't realize that I should be tipping the same for take out as I do for dining service.
Honored Contributor

Many restaurants just add on a tip to your bill but the calculations are just to be helpful because everyone should know that the wait staff does not earn minimum wage and need tips. While to some of us it's easy to figure out, many more cannot do the math - even on paper.

Honored Contributor

I think it's a wonderful to have it written out on the bottom of my bill. Your words, "but can't calculate as I'm writing this" should answer your own question. If we can't calculate when typing out on a computer, what makes anyone think they instantly become a mathematical genius to figure out a tip after a couple cocktails? Smiley Very Happy.

Contributor

On 3/31/2014 mom43 said:
On 3/31/2014 lolakimono said:

Some people are unaware how much servers actually earn per hour. When I waitressed, I earned $2.13 an hour, so I definitely relied on tips. Servers are taxed based on the sales for the day, not on the amount of tips they actually receive. Depending on the establishment, they also can have to tip out to the bar and the busboys (based on their sales). (It used to be that servers had to declare 8% of their sales, but I don't know about now). So if you stiff your server, they are still paying taxes based on how much your bill was. That's why you should always tip on the original amount of the bill (never on the price after coupons/promotions) so that you can help them earn a decent hourly wage. Ditto if you add on a take out order/dessert to your bill.

You mean I should be leaving a tip on the portion that is take out? Very often my husband and I end up bringing home a meal for one of our sons when we go out to dinner. I consider myself a good tipper -typically 20% or more. But let's say dinner served at the table comes to $100 (before taxes or promotions). I would generally tip $20. But say then I ask the waiter to bring a hamburger and fries ($20) to go when we're leaving. So now I should be tipping 20% on the $120? If I go to pick up a pizza, I don't tip 20%. I didn't realize that I should be tipping the same for take out as I do for dining service.

Mom43, you may need to check with the restaurant. Back in the day when I use to waitress if someone added a to go order the IRS would assume that I got a tip and I would have to declare on it regardless. Where my niece is a waitress at she still has to report. Uncle Sam does not care if you get tipped or not. They just assume you do and if you don't report what they feel is and appropriate amount they will audit and adjust and just say you are under reporting. My husband and I when we go out to eat, like you we usually order something to go for the kids and leave a tip on the to go order but I would just ask if you are uncomfortable because I do see your point. I am not for sure about pizza that you pick up since you are not picking it up from the driver. For example, my nephew works at Little Ceasars and he does not work delivering the pizzas; they have separate drivers for that. The IRS is not looking for him to report tips as a cashier.

Contributor

I keep saying tip but I need to correct myself that is on sales.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/31/2014 ChillyTulip said:
On 3/31/2014 Dusty1 said:

I don't like the tip being mentioned on the bill, either, & I think that is particularly tacky. A tip is supposed to be a "gift" for good service. Papa John's Pizza box says something about being sure to tip your driver for their extraordinary service & I think "It's a dude that drives to my house & drops a pizza off. It's nice, but it's not all that extraordinary.".

So here's an idea------next time go and pick up the pizza yourself and skip the delivery. What's tacky is having to think twice about tipping a delivery person.

OMG! Thank you for speaking up! These kids work for sooooo little it's hard not to be generous. Unless he was obnoxious or dumped the pizza on my doorstep!

Valued Contributor

I do not like the tip being mentioned on my bill. It tells me they think I cannot do math.

A 20 percent tip is easy to figure out. I need no calculator.

Say you have a bill for $18.00. 10 percent of that is $1.80. Double that is $3.60 and that is a 20 percent tip. How can they think a person cannot do that?

Respected Contributor

It does say "recommended". They aren't telling you what to tip.

I happen to like when they add that to the bottom. It makes tipping easier to figure out. One restaurant we go to does 10%, 15% and 20%.

In answer to your question, I'd say you are a little too thin skinned and should not be offended at all.