Frequent Contributor

Re: O/T How can a restaurant have the nerve to tell you how much to tip?

On 3/31/2014 Dusty1 said:

I don't like the tip being mentioned on the bill, either, & I think that is particularly tacky. A tip is supposed to be a "gift" for good service. Papa John's Pizza box says something about being sure to tip your driver for their extraordinary service & I think "It's a dude that drives to my house & drops a pizza off. It's nice, but it's not all that extraordinary.".

The driver is providing a service! Next time go out and get your own pizza.A lot of those drivers are college students trying to earn some extra money.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

On 4/5/2014 iPod said:
On 3/31/2014 Dusty1 said:

I don't like the tip being mentioned on the bill, either, & I think that is particularly tacky. A tip is supposed to be a "gift" for good service. Papa John's Pizza box says something about being sure to tip your driver for their extraordinary service & I think "It's a dude that drives to my house & drops a pizza off. It's nice, but it's not all that extraordinary.".

The driver is providing a service! Next time go out and get your own pizza.A lot of those drivers are college students trying to earn some extra money.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

The driver IS providing a service. And, they ARE getting paid for their service. And, yes I realize that a tip is expected & appreciated (I hope) & if anyone delivered food where I live in the country I would tip them. I never said that I wouldn't tip them. I just was saying that I didn't find it EXTRAORDINARY that someone could deliver a pizza. It has always amused me that it says it that way on the pizza box (That I have driven to town & picked up & brought home.)! So you think it's rude not to tip, but it's okay to be rude because I don't think pizza delivery is EXTRAORDINARY.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Super Contributor

On 4/1/2014 VanSleepy said: My husband HATES the tip suggestions printed on the check. I tell him I don't see the big deal; it must be because some people can't figure it out. He always leave more than 20% - unless the suggestions are there. I tell him his "stand" doesn't mean anything unless he's going to tell the owner/manager about it.

So, your husband chooses to punish the server for something the manager does. I agree that he needs to speak to the owner/manager about his feelings.