Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T ~ How Do You Protect Your Credit? LifeLock?

If you get the basic like I HAVE, you get nothing. In the beginning, they let you know each month you credit OK, then I FOUND THEY DO NOT CHECK IT. They would let you know when an account had been open, not anymore. I have brought new rugs, washer/dryer, TV, New tires, just to name a few in the last two years. Not once did they notify me, like in the first year. Their excuse, these stores not in our jurisdiction. WHAT? Stores like Best Buy, Target, Sears,etc. I think they are a scam with a good advertisement. I even lost my wallet and checkbook and they had another excuse. My membership over in April, no more.
Occasional Contributor

Defender, from MetLife Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Beware of Lifelock! It's not as great as they make it sound. We have it. A few weeks ago, someone tried to cash one of "my" checks in Vegas. The people in Vegas were suspicious. They called my bank, and my bank called me. I had purchased three items in Wisconsin that morning. The people in Vegas would not allow him to cash the check. Lifelock did not notify me of this situation for four days! We are currently looking for a more secure company to monitor our financial security.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Frequent Contributor

Hi Everyone!! I've been reading thru these posts and first would like to say I'm sorry you all had these problems & troubles...seems like nowadays, the laws keep honest folks honest.

I have a couple of questions that came to mind while reading your posts.

First, regardless of which one of the services, what does protect your ID mean?

Sound like these services get notified of a change to your credit reports and forward them onto the customer? Then it is up to the customer to get the issue resolved on their own.

Putting Fraud Alerts at all three Credit Bureaus only asked the creditor to contact you first, they are not obligated to do so.

Freezing your credit reports at all three Credit Bureaus stops you and all creditors from getting information...so what can a ID Protection Service provide their customer?

And sadly, if someone asks to be put onto your existing credit card, ie Macy's as an authorized user, thankfully Macy's will send the additional credit card to you and not release the account number to the person saying that you authorized them...the ID protection never know because they do not monitor them.

So, I admit, I'm confused...someone can go online, open a new credit card in our names, get the card number even tho the card is sent our homes, go on line and put a stop mail delivery order in and then spend beyond the limit before we or our ID Protection Services knows...it shows up on our credit report as ours...and may not be available until after the money has been spent.

Esteemed Contributor

I check my accounts daily. However I do have LIfeLock. A friend who works for homeland security told me to look into LifeLock or the program that Costco was promoting. That was three years ago. Yes, it costs but I sleep nights.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/8/2015 hulagirl said:
On 2/8/2015 PinkyPetunia said:

I monitor my cc's and bank debit cards frequently--every few days at minimum. Once I had fraudulent activity on my Amex card but Amex called me directly to see if I initiated the charges. They closed the acct and sent me a new card.

I don't worry too much about it and don't believe in purchasing outside protection like LifeLock. I use my cards sparingly. I don't use them in unfamiliar gas stations and don't swipe them all over, like for a cup of coffee or at the drive-thru. I use cash for purchases under $20.

If you're trying to make someone like me feel stupid because we use Lifelock, go ahead if it makes you feel better. I also watch my accounts, but I felt that a couple of bucks a month for something like Lifelock was just an extra step I could take since I'd been hacked a couple of times. The accounts hacked were cards that I rarely use and the hack was related to a couple of big companies getting their systems hacked and my info. getting into crooks hands, not by anything I'd done. People are free to do as they wish, but those who wish to take an extra step do not need to be made to feel foolish for doing it.

How is she trying to make you feel stupid or look foolish? She simply stated that she herself has no interest in using anything like Lifelock. She didn't say one single thing that was critical of anyone else.

Major over-reaction, IMO.

Respected Contributor

Happy to report that Credit Karma is right on the ball!

Was at my bank yesterday to apply for a loan and by the time I got home, I had a notification e-mail from Credit Karma that there was a hard inquiry on my credit! Timely.

The FICO score they report wasn't even close to accurate, but I didn't really sign up for my FICO score, I signed up to get notifications if there are any attempts to open credit accounts, and obviously it works perfectly.

Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2015 Brinklii said:

Beware of Lifelock! It's not as great as they make it sound. We have it. A few weeks ago, someone tried to cash one of "my" checks in Vegas. The people in Vegas were suspicious. They called my bank, and my bank called me. I had purchased three items in Wisconsin that morning. The people in Vegas would not allow him to cash the check. Lifelock did not notify me of this situation for four days! We are currently looking for a more secure company to monitor our financial security.

I agree, Brinklii.

One of the problems is the services have the potential of giving their customers a false sense of security.

That's one reason I offered the info in Posts #11 and #12, and the articles at the links are extensively, carefully detailed. There's plenty of step-by-step info, far too much to post here.

This one from Consumer Reports was updated 9/8/2014:

Don’t get taken guarding your ID

Do-it-yourself safeguards are just as effective as paid services

"About 50 million U.S. consumers spent $3.5 billion in 2010 to buy products that are claimed to protect their identity. But do-it-yourself safeguards are just as effective as paid services, according to Javelin Strategy & Research, a California consulting firm. And self-help costs little to nothing; the paid services cost $120 to $300 annually. Here’s why you don’t need to buy ID-theft protection: ... "

(link goes to: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2013/01/don-t-get-taken-guarding-your-id/index.htm)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2015 Buck-i-Nana said:

Happy to report that Credit Karma is right on the ball!

Was at my bank yesterday to apply for a loan and by the time I got home, I had a notification e-mail from Credit Karma that there was a hard inquiry on my credit! Timely.

The FICO score they report wasn't even close to accurate, but I didn't really sign up for my FICO score, I signed up to get notifications if there are any attempts to open credit accounts, and obviously it works perfectly.

Yes, it isn't your true FICO score that they give you, which I think they should make clear upfront. I remember when I checked it on there and it was 130 points LESS than it really was so I panicked and that is when I find out it is an "estimate" since they can't access your true credit scores.

Honored Contributor

I don't believe these third party credit services are necessary.

Just use the credit freeze method...problem solved.

Only once did someone use my AmEx - and AmEx notified me immediately and reversed all the charges.