Super Contributor

Re: O/T Family drama.......((sigh))

On 11/29/2014 Ford1224 said:

If this is taken critically, then so be it. All I know is I would never let a child that close to me be adopted out of the family, or put into the "system." My heart goes out to that poor baby.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

I am pretty surprised at how many think adoption is a bad option. The most unselfish thing any adult can do is to give a child the best life it can possibly have, and if they cannot provide anything but chaos, multiple caretakers, instability, and the child being totally confused over "what is wrong with my Mom and Dad that they don't care for me" (which would start at about age 6), it is an incredibly UN-selfish move to put the child with a set of loving parents who are longing for a child and cannot conceive.

There is such a thing as an open adoption, allowing for the child to have visits with grandparents and family. There is also the option of temporary or permanent "guardianship". That means the parental rights are suspended and the child is placed with a guardian (who does not have to be related). Guardianship's can also be open, allowing for family to continue contact.

"keeping the child in the family at all costs" seems rather shortsighted. If there is a way to give a child a wonderful loving family to grow up with, that seems to be what is in the best interest of the child. There are so many options nowadays, giving a child up for adoption does not mean "never see it again". Sometimes it does, if that is what the bio parents want. Some parents know they cannot provide and relinquish all contact. But there are thousands of "open adoptions" now.

When the child is about 7 or 8, or begins to ask questions, the truth is what is told to them. Not that they were not wanted, but their parents wanted the very best of for them and knew they could not provide it. That they are the lucky child who had MANY people who loved them, and 'so and so' is the one who they will live with. They understand so much at young ages. It does not need to be traumatic. The older the child gets, the harder it is to disrupt them.

This child is 16 months old. She would adjust very quickly to a loving family. She doesn't have any long term memory yet. Long term memory does not develop until age 6. So, if it were in the CHILD's best interest, NOW would be the time to stabilize her.

There is so much love out in this big world, so many parents who long for a child.

I think the brother probably cares that he has a daughter, but his priority is to have his mother do the work of raising him/her. That is what is so wrong here. I have to wonder if other options were presented to him, such as placing the child under a guardianship with visitation allowed, or whatever options you get information about, he might just be relieved to do something. Because clearly, if he was head over heels in love with this child, he would NOT be using his mother like he is, AND his priority to get a job to provide her a good life would be moved up to number 1. Neither of which I hear OP saying.

There was just a couple on the news in my area that took care of and raised 92 children over the course of 25+ years, children at risk. EVERY single child came back as a surprise, and every one of them cried and said how much of a difference this "Mom and Dad" made in their life, and how thankful they were. It was a tearjerker story, but so inspiring.

So their is hope for this child. Will it take work to find the right avenue? You betcha. But every child deserves someone to speak for them until their lives are right.

Respected Contributor

The adults in your family can take care of themselves. The only one that matters is the child. If you live in a glass house (and everyone does), you shouldn't throw stones saying how terrible they are. I realize it's only your perspective, and there is more than one truth. What are you doing to help the child besides suggesting s/he be put up for adoption? I find that just heartless. It sounds like all the adults in your family are broken and need to pick up their pieces and step up to the plate for the child. This should be a time when the adults come together to plan a happy Christmas for the little one, not plan how to get rid of him/her. Omg.

New Contributor

On 12/1/2014 Desert Lily said:

The adults in your family can take care of themselves. The only one that matters is the child. If you live in a glass house (and everyone does), you shouldn't throw stones saying how terrible they are. I realize it's only your perspective, and there is more than one truth. What are you doing to help the child besides suggesting s/he be put up for adoption? I find that just heartless. It sounds like all the adults in your family are broken and need to pick up their pieces and step up to the plate for the child. This should be a time when the adults come together to plan a happy Christmas for the little one, not plan how to get rid of him/her. Omg.

I couldn't agree more.

Honored Contributor

I read through most of these but not all so I hope I am not being repetitious. Has anyone looked into the possibility of a ""nanny"" to help out mom while all of this is going on? This is indeed a sad situation and I see so many grandparents trying to raise their grandkids today. It is almost an epidemic. I will say a prayer for your family that God will give you strength and wisdom to do what's best for the child. So sorry you are going through this.

Super Contributor

I don't know why you all think Abrowneyegirl should take the child in to raise. Not all of us are cut out to be parents; I never have had that first maternal instinct for having children...and if my nephew was ever in this position with my brother and his ex-wife both not around (Thank God they ARE here and are good parents!) I couldn't do it. A 16 month old is still young enough she would do well with a loving family who adopts her.

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 okBlonde said:

I don't know why you all think Abrowneyegirl should take the child in to raise. Not all of us are cut out to be parents; I never have had that first maternal instinct for having children...and if my nephew was ever in this position with my brother and his ex-wife both not around (Thank God they ARE here and are good parents!) I couldn't do it. A 16 month old is still young enough she would do well with a loving family who adopts her.

I agree. There are many reasons someone may not take a child like this on and we shouldn't judge. Sometimes a spouse might refuse. Maybe the person involved is ill or taking care of elderly parents. Some people barely have enough money to feed themselves let alone feed and care for a child properly. The list could go on and on. We never really know what someone else is dealing with. I am concerned what it is doing to the grandmother....but just as concerned as what it will do to the grandmother if she loses the child. Some people can die of grief. Only God knows that. As long as she is mentally stable...I think that will have to be her decision.

Super Contributor

On 11/29/2014 kcladyz said:

I think putting the child up for adoption is a horrible thing. You do realize if that happens you will never see your niece/nephew again? Also we do not know his side of the story. Times are tough maybe he is having a hard time finding a job. If you are concerned for your mother and the child why can't you take them in? just a thought. Family are supposed to help one another

The thing with putting up this child for adoption is that both bio parents have to really really agree to it and you would be surprised at the number of people who refuse to put up their child for adoption just because they can... they don't consider what is in the best interest of the child, just the best interest for them at the moment... and if the bio mom is not available or in some type of mental health situation they consider that person at risk and not able to make decisions...I actually know of a family member who wanted to adopt a cousin and was unable to because the parents were on state aide and that would mean they would lose the aide and chose to put the child in foster care so they could get the aide for their habit... it is much easier for a family member to adopt the baby rather than an outsider... also this child might be harder to adopt because of age, birth parents medical, etc... Even though this person may not "have it in their genes to raise a child/raise another child" I think they are probably in that situation to do so... I also would not do an open adoption on this one because these parents are a mess and might play "head games" with the child...This child may bring an incredible amount of joy into the OPs life and it actually maybe a positive experience...she might be surprised...

Super Contributor

On 12/1/2014 okBlonde said:

I do understand what you are saying and admire for courage for saying so... there are also lots of people who shouldn't be parents and find out after they have the kiddos... or they never figure it out...

Super Contributor

On 11/30/2014 gabstoomuch said:

I am pretty surprised at how many think adoption is a bad option. The most unselfish thing any adult can do is to give a child the best life it can possibly have, and if they cannot provide anything but chaos, multiple caretakers, instability, and the child being totally confused over "what is wrong with my Mom and Dad that they don't care for me" (which would start at about age 6), it is an incredibly UN-selfish move to put the child with a set of loving parents who are longing for a child and cannot conceive.

And the biological parents have been nothing but selfish and entitled this whole time. What makes you think they'd entertain giving their child up?

It's all a dysfunctional mess and begins and ends with the mother (of OP).

For those who can't fathom why keeping a child in the family would be better than being in the system (and again, until the child is forcibly taken and parental rights terminated, which is very difficult to do), when you put this child's needs before all of the adults in this situation, having the child remain within the family is the right thing to do.

I know some of you have visions of loving and caring parents doing foster care and adopting, but by the time all of the legal stuff is done (because again, the child will have to be forcibly removed from the home and rights terminated), this kid could be 5 or 6, have emotional issues and be very difficult to place anyway.