Valued Contributor

The food can make a big difference, have you tried mixing what she likes in with the new food? If she'll eat it that way you can start adding less and less of the foo she was eating until she's getting the new food only. Also adding a little warm water can help to get her started eating it.

I put my cats on a prescription dry food for bladder health, vet said it would be a good one to prevent issues later. I was fortunate that they really like it.

Trusted Contributor
I home cook for my 19.5 year old dog. I also give him fluids thrice weekly. He's had kidney failure for three years.
Respected Contributor

About the food. Try a different brand! There are tons of urinary health foods on the market. Head to a pet store and buy small bags until you find one she likes. My female does the same thing, but she is finicky about her litter box. She goes in one spot and once dirty, she finds another place to go! OMG, even cleaning it everyday hasn't helped her mood.

Honored Contributor

Did your vet actually do a urinalysis with culture? If not I'd get one done. And I'd put the cat on a wet food only diet if it isn't already.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor
On 6/8/2014 Nadine said:

The food can make a big difference, have you tried mixing what she likes in with the new food? If she'll eat it that way you can start adding less and less of the foo she was eating until she's getting the new food only. Also adding a little warm water can help to get her started eating it.

I put my cats on a prescription dry food for bladder health, vet said it would be a good one to prevent issues later. I was fortunate that they really like it.

Dry food of any kind is the last thing you want to give a cat with bladder issues. It's really too bad that vets still keep giving out bad recommendations like that. Grain free wet food, preferably raw is much healthier for cats but especially for cats with bladder issues. Cats are not biologically designed to eat dry food, it just dehydrates them, changes the PH of their urine and results in UTI and bladder stones for many cats.

I've been down this road and was told by vets to put him on rx dry food for life. I have never had another problem since I put them on raw and grain free canned.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

It is a common problem with older cats and there is a point where there is nothing else you can do. The end stages can be very painful for the cat as well. I went through this with a beloved pet and regret that I did not have the cat put to sleep before it got as far as it did. I won't give you details, but just wanted to add my perspective. . . Please discuss this frankly with your vet. They see this a lot and will give you good advice.

Respected Contributor

I have been through this unfortunate situation more than once. Renal failure doesn't necessarily cause going outside of the litter box.

A urinary tract infection might though. I would have her checked for that. It is uncomfortable too.

They DO drink more water in an attempt to dilute the toxins in the body. They are just more thirsty. Let her drink as much as she wants. More drinking = more eliminating..

Don't know if you've discussed giving fluids into the skin with your vet. I have done it many times, and it does extend their life and help them feel better. Nothing STOPS renal failure.

I am going through it with my oldest kitty now. Vet doesn't feel she's at needing fluids level. She refuses any food other than her Purina One dry food. Won't eat ANY wet food, and refusing kidney diet dry food.

Hyacinth

Super Contributor
On 6/8/2014 hyacinth003 said:

I have been through this unfortunate situation more than once. Renal failure doesn't necessarily cause going outside of the litter box.

A urinary tract infection might though. I would have her checked for that. It is uncomfortable too.

They DO drink more water in an attempt to dilute the toxins in the body. They are just more thirsty. Let her drink as much as she wants. More drinking = more eliminating..

Don't know if you've discussed giving fluids into the skin with your vet. I have done it many times, and it does extend their life and help them feel better. Nothing STOPS renal failure.

I am going through it with my oldest kitty now. Vet doesn't feel she's at needing fluids level. She refuses any food other than her Purina One dry food. Won't eat ANY wet food, and refusing kidney diet dry food.

Hyacinth

ITA with everything you said!

Respected Contributor
On 6/8/2014 Sooner said:

It is a common problem with older cats and there is a point where there is nothing else you can do. The end stages can be very painful for the cat as well. I went through this with a beloved pet and regret that I did not have the cat put to sleep before it got as far as it did. I won't give you details, but just wanted to add my perspective. . . Please discuss this frankly with your vet. They see this a lot and will give you good advice.

Yep. Been thru it twice and starting up with it with my elderly one now. The accidents are frustrating, but it's worth working with them on the food and litter box relocations. My vet told me in the past that I would know when, or if, I should put them down. I did. Tori - I totally understand the situation with ruining your floors. With one of my kitties I had just moved into a brand new house with wood floors. That was so sickening, but I made the best of it with the addition of rugs. Ugh. The sacrifices we make for these little fellas. Good luck!

Valued Contributor
On 6/8/2014 jaxs mom said:
On 6/8/2014 Nadine said:

Dry food of any kind is the last thing you want to give a cat with bladder issues. It's really too bad that vets still keep giving out bad recommendations like that. Grain free wet food, preferably raw is much healthier for cats but especially for cats with bladder issues. Cats are not biologically designed to eat dry food, it just dehydrates them, changes the PH of their urine and results in UTI and bladder stones for many cats.

I've been down this road and was told by vets to put him on rx dry food for life. I have never had another problem since I put them on raw and grain free canned.

I have the ultimate respect for my vet and if he says dry food is ok I believe him. A lot of grain free food has caused some pets to get bladder stones because of the pea starch they use to bind the product. Lots of info out there about grain free and bladder stones. I'm sure raw is good but not real pratical for a family with three cats, two elderly dogs and five ferrets.
As far as people suggesting that it might be best to put the cat down, I have a 17 and 15 year old yorkie and I'm having to think about it for the older one, when it's time I will know as well as the op here.