Respected Contributor
On 6/8/2014 Sooner said:

It isaproblem with older cats and there is a point where there is nothing else you can do. The end stages can be very painful for the cat as well. I went through this with a beloved pet and regret that I did not have the cat put to sleep before it got as far as it did. I won't give you details, but just wanted to add my perspective. . . Please discuss this frankly with your vet. They see this a lot and will give you good advice.

I agree,Sooner!! First have kitty checked by vet. Ask for direct advice and be clear that you want what's best for the cat...even if it's hard to hear.I am certainly am not gonna give advice on when one should euthanize a pet. I will say that having faced this with cats before I have wAited too long for a couple.It is a very painful thing for the cats to have kidney failure. I now am all about quality of life for my cats and dogs. I am so sorry you have an aging ,ailing cat.

Trusted Contributor

I would work with the vet to rule out the possibility of a UTI and to get the best options for diet, possible treatments, and prognosis for the kidney problems. I've been through this sad process,too. Renal problems are common in old cats, and usually all you can do is alleviate symptoms somewhat and perhaps extend life for a little while with fluid infusions, etc. Personally, I think it makes perfect sense to seriously consider whether it's worth great expense, time, and unpleasantness for an old, ill cat to achieve limited benefits. If it develops that the cat can't/won't use the litterbox dependably and is soiling your home and ruining your floors, that's a valid factor, too. Quality of life is a consideration for your cat -- and for you and your family! We all love our furry family members, and it's always hard to make the painful decision to "call time".........but we all know the time comes. I'd certainly vote for merciful euthanasia rather than banishing a sick animal to a basement!!

Super Contributor

Oh I do so sympathize. I've been trying to remove cat urine from my upstairs carpeting to no avail. I've done research & used recommended products & nothing works.

The Pet Forum would be a good place to start. If you can get to the urine right after the accident has happened, it is easier to clean up, but cat urine is very potent & goes deep.

Hope you find a solution that works.

Super Contributor

There is a spray, not the usual ones you find at Pet Smart etc... This one is a bit more expensive and it has something to do with pheromones. I bought it when I was working for the vet. It works very well because my cats quit scratching my mattress. I then lost it a year ago and they are just starting to scratch again. It is Feliway Spray and I found it under google. One is a diffuser and one is a spray. They are also cheaper than what I paid a year ago. They are for territory marking problems as well.

Honored Contributor

If you have a lid covering the litter box, get rid of it. Make it as easy as possible for your little Senior kitty. Blessings coming your kitty's way that she is pain free.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Hi, I wrote you a detailed post on your thread in the Pet Lovers Forum. Smiley Happy

Contributor
I understand what you are going through! Go get some puppy wee wee pads and put them out. There is scent that attracts puppies to it but cats too! I knew there was nothing I could do to helps my kitty but she went in the pads when I put then out. Clean up is a cinch throwing them away and it made our last months with her much less stressful!! Scatter a few around the house where she goes she will use them I guarantee it , good luck I wished I had done it sooner