Trusted Contributor

Re: O/T ~ Dusting Wood Furniture??

Sorry, double post.

Respected Contributor

I use Swiffer cloths for dusting (the dry ones that are made for the floor cleaner). They do a great job!

Esteemed Contributor

When I am not wet cleaning or polishing but just dusting, I love, love, love some really 'furry' microfiber white squares from Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are about $4 but can be washed. They even take off the dust that clumps in the corners of TVs with other microfiber.

Super Contributor

My neighbor, who has worked 35 years for the same furniture company, told me never to use traditional furniture polish, as they contain waxes. She brought me bottles of the professional furniture cleaner and polish they use on the furniture in their stores. They are both liquid that I apply with a soft white cloth.

I will sometimes use Swiffer cloths for quick dusting. Also, a damp microfiber cloth works well.

Honored Contributor

On 6/24/2014 brii said:

I like Pledge Multi-Surface. I have a lot of wood and glass pieces. It doesn't streak or look oily.

I use paper towels or a microfiber cloth. It just depends...

brii, when we recently purchased a new wood table and chairs for our breakfast room from Ethan Allen, the salesperson very emphatically told us not to clean it with paper towels because you risk scratching the wood. She recommended a slightly damp microfiber towel.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have a coffee table that is a thick walnut slab with a linseed oil finish. I ruined the finish using a damp microfiber cloth so be careful where you use them. I think I can restore it with a lot of elbow grease, boiled linseed oil and fine steel wool.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I dust the things that sit on out the tables, etc with a swifter. I use a microfiber cloth and Endust sprayed on the cloth to dust the wood furniture and moldings.

Honored Contributor

On 6/24/2014 kachina624 said: I have a coffee table that is a thick walnut slab with a linseed oil finish. I ruined the finish using a damp microfiber cloth so be careful where you use them. I think I can restore it with a lot of elbow grease, boiled linseed oil and fine steel wool.

That's very strange. I've used good quality microfiber cloths on even the most delicate objects. It's smoother than silk, so it is very gentle. It's what's recommended for computer and TV screens because it won't scratch.

Perhaps it has something to do with the that type of finish. I've read that water can make linseed oil rather gummy. Also, if anything becomes embedded in the microfiber or is on the surface, then that can cause problems.

Good luck with the restoration.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 maddiecat said:

My neighbor, who has worked 35 years for the same furniture company, told me never to use traditional furniture polish, as they contain waxes. She brought me bottles of the professional furniture cleaner and polish they use on the furniture in their stores. They are both liquid that I apply with a soft white cloth.

I will sometimes use Swiffer cloths for quick dusting. Also, a damp microfiber cloth works well.

What's the name of it?

Super Contributor

I use Pledge Multi Surface Antibacterial as I use it on almost everything, door knobs, handles, electronics and I use Old English on the real wood. I use a white terry cloth rag.