Respected Contributor

Re: O/T- Dieting. Any low calorie snack ideas?

On 1/19/2014 nantucket shore said:
On 1/19/2014 happy housewife said: Rolled gold pretzels - 15 are 100 calories. and special k crackers - 35 are 110 calories. I also bought some all fruit bars that are 70 cal each and some yogurt bars that are also 70 calories. All these were recommended at my first diet class.

Pretzels are 3 points with WW, I counted them out and found that they are not worth 3 points, you can have so many other snacks (less points) and a lot more than 15 pretzels.

Also, my body retains the salt and I was advised by the leader to stop eating salty snacks around Wednesday (weigh in is Saturday) and I have found I'm losing easier lately.

but heck, that's me

I agree pretzels and crackers are such a waste of points. Hummus and cheese on celery, carrot chips, bell peppers, etc are much better than carbs.

Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2014 Danae24 said:

Hummus with Rice Crackers or celery or carrots.

Apples with peanut butter.

Greek yogurt---be sure it does not have high fructose corn syrup.

Almonds, or almond butter on an apple.

Gluten-free snacks and walking really work---just be sure the gluten-free are homemade and not processed things.

You can also make these crustless quiches in little muffin tins---recipes online.

Dark chocolate.

Gluten has absolutely NOTHING to do with weight loss.
Respected Contributor

Is there any yogurt that does not taste like typical yogert? lol I had yogert as a teen and thought it was horrible! been afraid to try it since

Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2014 tigriss said:
On 1/19/2014 happy housewife said: Rolled gold pretzels - 15 are 100 calories. and special k crackers - 35 are 110 calories. I also bought some all fruit bars that are 70 cal each and some yogurt bars that are also 70 calories. All these were recommended at my first diet class.

Pretzels are 3 points with WW, I counted them out and found that they are not worth 3 points, you can have so many other snacks (less points) and a lot more than 15 pretzels.

Also, my body retains the salt and I was advised by the leader to stop eating salty snacks around Wednesday (weigh in is Saturday) and I have found I'm losing easier lately.

but heck, that's me

I agree pretzels and crackers are such a waste of points. Hummus and cheese on celery, carrot chips, bell peppers, etc are much better than carbs.

I don't know anyything about points on WW - but rolled gold pretzels - the small ones are 1oo cal for 15 of them. Read the package!
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/19/2014 kcladyz said:

Is there any yogurt that does not taste like typical yogert? lol I had yogert as a teen and thought it was horrible! been afraid to try it since

I love yoplait light or thr gioibani greek yogurt. There are so many flavors and are so yummy.It tastes like a really great treat.

Contributor

Cut up some raw veggies and snack away!
Respected Contributor

On 1/19/2014 happy housewife said:

Gluten-free snacks and walking really work---just be sure the gluten-free are homemade and not processed things.

You can also make these crustless quiches in little muffin tins---recipes online.

Dark chocolate.

Really? Hmmmm
Respected Contributor

On 1/19/2014 tigriss said:

but heck, that's me

I don't know anyything about points on WW - but rolled gold pretzels - the small ones are 1oo cal for 15 of them. Read the package!

That may be, but they are carbs, so good for a salty snack, but nothing compared to popcorn for a satisfying fill. We all have things we like, but those dipped in PB or hummus will make for an extra protein fill for a nice snack.

Respected Contributor

Dark chocolate.

Gluten is typical in many carbs, while rice doesn't have gluten, it has less carbs (rice cakes) and a better pick for a snack to tide you over till supper. Some people are gluten intolerant or sensitive and don't know it. The fact that gluten is common in those things we love but shouldn't over do, breads, chips, dips, most snack bars, etc....is a good coincidence. Some people make the double connection and some don't. The push that gluten is not a bad thing is by the wheat industry and politics making up junk research that most people can't read for themselves and know it is all political junk. Gluten free is much like Atkins in cutting way back in carbs, but can be an essential element in people that are intolerant. Among all societies ours has the most wheat/gluten based diet and a heavily lobbied element in DC. Rice is such a common staple in many cultures and countries, but ours. Typically Americans don't eat rice at most meals or even once a week. Many countries make use of the rice flour and use it to make what we use wheat for, so they don't have gluten as a major factor. Rice is healthier than wheat because of carbs and resulting sugars. I'm not sure of the protein count, but we should do more to include all grains into our diets including those ancient grains that are now making a resurgence. Our ancestors stayed health because their lives lacked the conveniences of tools we have today, so they really earned their meals, but we don't have that hard life to work our food off.

Occasional Contributor

On 1/19/2014 kcladyz said:

Taste like ice cream. In the frozen section. 100 calories each. YUM!!!!!!!!